Carl. We have some questions that certainly deserve an answer. (Very long..no reason to state TLDR)

1. DreamerJ
    Honeycomb Jun 29, 2014

DreamerJ , Jun 29, 2014 :
    But the Find 7 and OnePlus One are very similar. It's not hard to imagine them being manufactured right next to each other, or sharing process steps, and then getting a different back plate slapped on. The point is the OnePlus One is basically an Oppo product already, it slots right in. The purpose of OnePlus is to grow Oppo's international appeal so that they can grow and challenge Samsung, instead of being just a smaller phone vendor today.

Right now, OnePlus is pretending to be a new company with a new device. But they are actually a subsidiary of Oppo, and I think very tightly integrated. In the future, I think we will see them lose their independence, and then completely integrated as just an Oppo brand, sold within the same store.

2. regulusky
    Froyo Jun 29, 2014

regulusky , Jun 29, 2014 :
    New member defend the Oneplus and Well-Known member rant about Oneplus. Isn't that a good cycle where it will benefit the overlord Oneplus.
    Well since I'm one of the old member I will rant :D. In the end nothing comes good when OPO keep lagging behind. Good name my ***, how do you get a good name when all you do is making people complain, duh!

3. DrZ
    Froyo Jun 29, 2014

DrZ , Jun 29, 2014 :
    I do not participate in the games. I am not a member of most of the locations where the games are played and I refuse to drag friends and family into things that interest me.

I continue to watch but I am starting to lose faith.

4. straybul
    Honeycomb Jun 29, 2014

straybul , Jun 29, 2014 :
    People complain but they do not leave. In the business world maybe more than anywhere else, actions speak louder, much louder, than words. Big complaints, small complaints and no complaints, we all wait. "We're willing to wait" is what we are really saying. I'm really only concerned re phone quality and customer service issues, so that's what I'm really watching in the different forums.

regulusky likes this.
  5. arasyi
    Froyo Jun 29, 2014

6. DrZ
    Froyo Jun 29, 2014

DrZ , Jun 29, 2014 :
    Actually my background is in both sides. I didn't state it was 38.4m in sales...I said 38.4m in potential sales. Much of what you say is correct. While the BOM cost might be high, typically the highest cost of any business is sales and promotion. Their cost of advertising is minimized since we have been their main source of advertisement. We are actually not only their marketing arm, we are also their troubleshooting/debugging arm. Our members are finding issues and relaying that information back to OPO.
    So, making money or not, their business model is not to make money currently but to make a name for themselves. That name is being damaged here and if the members are as vocal on the general net as they are here, the name will carry a damaged history. I don't expect them to exist in a couple of years but to again be part of OPO.
    Currently, this is all conjecture. Time will tell.

7. Reliable
    Cupcake Jun 29, 2014

Reliable , Jun 29, 2014 :
    I think you mean subsidiary. For example, GEICO is a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway.
    When a company purchases another company, it becomes a subsidiary.

8. regulusky
    Froyo Jun 29, 2014

I guess that's the reason I'm still here ranting about the availability and quality issues.

9. zimmerphrame
    Eclair Jun 29, 2014

zimmerphrame , Jun 29, 2014 :
    ...And the more product they make and sell, the cheaper the components will be to buy(as do most things when you bulk buy), thus increasing their margins to a point where they will start to turn a profit.. so, selling more, in turn...makes a profit...

10. Reliable
    Cupcake Jun 29, 2014

Reliable , Jun 29, 2014 :
    I was disputing the exact figure, 38.4. I assume you multiplied the amount of members by the price of the 64 GB model, but that is incorrect.
    Having an almost exact number with so many significant figures is careless.
    What makes a sale "potential?" Just existing? If so, there are something like 2.45 trillion dollars in potential sales to be made.

You are right, the cost of advertising is minimized here--but I do not agree that the forum acts as a troubleshooter or debugger. We only notify them of issues.
    Many companies already have beta testing, and it's completely free.
    We aren't fixing the problems for them, only letting them know about them.
    The name is being damaged here, yes, but on a very small scale. People hear many more good things than bad about the One. I'd estimate it's a 50:1 ratio of good things to bad.
    After all, we didn't tweet "My OPO is super buggy," on race day.

I expect OnePlus to definitely exist one and two years from now, and exist with less demand and popularity three years from now. Any guesses further than that are too theoretical to be accurate.

LibraSun likes this.
  11. straybul
    Honeycomb Jun 29, 2014

straybul , Jun 29, 2014 :
    Yeah, me too. Trying to figure out what they're doing and why and other kinds of conspiracy possibilities and then getting bummed cuz we can't really know any of that anyway seems like a waste of time and energy. The phone seems worth waiting for cuz they've clearly put a lot into it--whether it's based on OPPO phones or not--and they've offered it at a low price. So yeah, we wait cuz we believe it's worth it. Might as well spend the time checking into phone quality, like the yellow screen issue, rather than becoming overly angry re other issues, though those issues are valid also. But they're not nearly as interesting or important to me as phone quality and price.

12. regulusky
    Froyo Jun 29, 2014

In my opinion, 50:1 is not a good estimation of the ratio. OPO mainly works on social media such as Facebook, Twitter so on and so forth. They also hoping the reviewer to put a good words about their product. But if you read carefully about the reviews, you might notice that the issues about availability is an ongoing issue that keeps appearing in every review. And on the social media front such as Facebook, good god everybody who visit their page will not miss the flooding rant in the comment section :D. So I say it's kinda 50 : 50 ish ratio mainly because everybody will always see the negative side bigger than what it seems. That's just my 2 cent.

Member 100k+ eh, give it time and you will see why the availability issues and quality is driving us mad, well not mad just a troll and flame lovers.

13. tunanjing
    Eclair Jun 29, 2014

tunanjing , Jun 29, 2014 :
    you are more than the 30,000th member. You are new! :)

14. bdithug
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 29, 2014

DreamerJ likes this.
  15. DreamerJ
    Honeycomb Jun 29, 2014

DreamerJ , Jun 29, 2014 :
    I agree that beyond this forum, the publicity on OnePlus has been far more positive than negative. Right now OnePlus is presumably not profitable, based on their low sales. But at the same time, initial investment required must have been low, because they already had an existing model to work from.

The question is with regards to their roll-out. Do they honestly intend to churn out enough One's to meet current demand? I do not think that is their plan. If manufacturing resources are split between the One and the Oppo Find 7/Find 7a, I think they will/have been prioritizing the Find 7. Yes, OnePlus will continue to exist, but in what capacity?

They could release 100,000 units on Monday to prove me wrong, but I think they are busy trying to figure out how to convert all of their OnePlus fans into future Oppo customers willing to pay higher premiums than the current price for the One, while stringing along the current story to generate and maintain interest.

bdithug, that is very true.

bdithug likes this.
  16. regulusky
    Froyo Jun 29, 2014

I guess I am new then :D. Unfortunately since I lost my phone not long ago,I looooove to rant about the availability issue :oops:

17. thanhng102
    Gingerbread Jun 29, 2014

18. regulusky
    Froyo Jun 29, 2014

Doesn't that make us a good loyal potential customer :D. Hey OPO give us the invite will ya, we are a good boy, aren't we?:cool:

19. DrZ
    Froyo Jun 29, 2014

DrZ , Jun 29, 2014 :
    Well I have watched this thread and responded some for the past 7 hours since I first published it. I am old and need to crash and burn. I will return as time permits. I hope the thread survives and is permitted to be a recent post.
    For those who are following it...please check it occasionally and bump it if needed.

Have a good day/evening.

emlin, patstar5 and DreamerJ like this.
  20. patstar5
    Jelly Bean Jun 29, 2014

patstar5 , Jun 29, 2014 :
    So OP hasn't replied yet? Well lets keep posting to keep this thread on top. Getting really impatient, for all I know I would have to wait until August or September to get one, actually considering to pay $650 for flagship phone, lg g3 or get oppo find 7 or sony xperia z2.