[Submitted] Carrier update via Carrier update (com.oneplus.cota) loops endlessly

1. Bebef
    Donut Oct 20, 2021

Bebef , Oct 20, 2021 :
    1. some time after a reboot, get a pop up "Carrier Settings Update & New Apps" on the center of the screen
    2. tap "UPDATE" on said popup
    3. in the download window, some data gets downloaded; tap "RESTART"
    4. after the device was rebooted (and the SIM PIN entered), go back to step 1.

2. Zaniacik
    Cupcake Oct 20, 2021

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021

3. Michel Salib
    Cupcake Oct 20, 2021

4. kthm
    Donut Oct 20, 2021

5. Bebef
    Donut Oct 20, 2021

Bebef , Oct 20, 2021 :
    I "fixed" it the hard way by disabling the app in question via adb:

adb shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.oneplus.cota

However, this might lead to undesireable side effects, so I wouldn't recommend this workaround.

Some users in the German forum suggested that it may be related to an update of the Google "Carrier Services" app, which happened in the same timeframe.

Did anyone try to downgrade the Google "Carrier Services" app and see what happens?

6. Michel Salib
    Cupcake Oct 20, 2021

Bebef likes this.
  7. miodzicho
    Cupcake Oct 21, 2021

miodzicho , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Oct 21, 2021 :
    I have the same issue, even after uodtaeing carrier services from play store. I also have second sim (roaming) and I'm receiving roaming info SMS many times daily.

8. Columbi4
    Cupcake Oct 21, 2021

Columbi4 , Oct 21, 2021 :
    I have got the same issue. Contacted OnePlus support about it. The recommended to wipe the cache of the Oneplus 9. That solved it for one day. But the next day the message appears again.

9. kthm
    Donut Oct 22, 2021

kthm , Oct 22, 2021 :
    In my case they said (most relevant part):
    Thank you for the response, we have made a note of this and would like to inform you that the updates of the latest build are rolled out partially. Therefore, we would request you to wait for the system update for your device and let us know the updated feedback through the community app.
    Be assured, we will surely work on your feedback and would always strive to provide an excellent experience for you.

10. kthm
    Donut Oct 30, 2021

11. Bebef
    Donut Nov 1, 2021

Bebef , Nov 1, 2021 :
    For sure it was not due to anyone contacting the placebo OnePlus "support". What they call "support" is just ridiculous. I reported an issue, they contacted me in a private conversation for a follow up. There they provided wrong instructions and never bothered to check my response.
    This is my first OnePlus. Considering all the annoying and ridiculous bugs in the OS and their virtually nonexistent "just pretend" support, it most probably was my last one as well.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯