Category For Open Beta Testing in forum.

1. Themurtuza Jelly Bean May 3, 2018

Themurtuza, May 3, 2018 :
    One suggestion for Forum app.
    Make Open Beta Tester sub Category in Forum app.
    This way people on open beta get feels entitled and may start contributing in open beta testing rather then only flash it for newest features.

Also people on Beta can directly post their problems & feedback there, so for mods, devs, bug hunters, n beta users have one place to look after & manage rather then countless posts we encounter where we listen to everyone & then eventually come to know he was actually on beta build.

2. SoniaB Nougat Senior Moderator May 3, 2018

SoniaB, May 3, 2018 :
    The main beta release thread covers this to an extent anyways. Anyone using OBT builds should post in the beta thread or report bugs via the bug reporting platform

otto2, Themurtuza, Dresa91 and 3 others like this.
  3. Themurtuza Jelly Bean May 3, 2018

I get that, but somehow i feel most people dont get idea of that, they keep on posting randomly, n yes it will be hard to maintain in earlier stage but in long run you will have dedicated open beta testers manforce.
    Idea is to give them platform, i might be wrong, n not sure how it turn up in large scale, but its just feels it will provide them entitled space & ground for feedback & reporting & us(oneplus) dedicated ppl.

Mr_Cyrox likes this.
  4. Mr_Cyrox KitKat May 3, 2018

Mr_Cyrox, May 3, 2018 :
    interesting idea...
    i agree on this.
    if that ever happens i might just join open beta...

Themurtuza likes this.
  5. Themurtuza Jelly Bean May 3, 2018

Thats what i am talking, right now 99% ppl using Beta only bcoz it has newest features, not for testing purpose, Giving such Category may give them entitlement & urge to contribute also.
    I mean how many of them uses feedback and let us be honest as we dont get replies in feedback most of us thinks it falls on deaf ears..
    Here if it has dedicated Category & interaction with other beta users & devs & mods thing can change.

Gav_W86 likes this.
  6. Mr_Cyrox KitKat May 3, 2018

Mr_Cyrox, May 3, 2018 :
    i would like if that happens...
    but that may never happen...

Themurtuza likes this.
  7. the98kid Ice Cream Sandwich May 3, 2018

8. Themurtuza Jelly Bean May 3, 2018

Ya agree, no harm in giving suggestion.

9. Themurtuza Jelly Bean May 3, 2018

Thats long overdue, app needs serious upgrade, agree on that.

10. SoniaB Nougat Senior Moderator May 3, 2018

SoniaB, May 3, 2018 :
    But there is an entitled space in the release thread and the bug reporting platform.
    Your biggest issue is that people don't read. If they did they would know and understand where to post and report bugs.

If everyone on OBT did that correctly, then you would not see all these random threads on the main forum.

How many photo threads do we see opened in product sections even though there is a dedicated photo section? How many threads on screen protectors or ear phones do we see in product sections even though there is a dedicated accessories section?

So having a dedicated section for just betas will not stop this from happening. People will not read and post wherever they want. Directing them to the correct process is best.

Also, bug reporting platform is monitored by ROM team already. They look at both stable and beta releases and that section is all they need

11. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop May 3, 2018

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan, May 3, 2018 :
    they should first stop asking for personally identifiable information on the feedback section. that drives away many people.

Themurtuza likes this.
  12. Themurtuza Jelly Bean May 3, 2018

I agree with most of the points.
    But it's already mess, how messier it can get. And to be frank i noticed ppl have developed more category obedience lately.
    And few categories u mentioned is not getting noticed bcoz its very simple and stupid, ppl dont go past few categories which are visible, they dont expand category section.
    If we are dealing with such lot, nothing is harm in trying something new.

13. SoniaB Nougat Senior Moderator May 3, 2018

SoniaB, May 3, 2018 :
    The reason for that is so that those people can be contacted for logs etc.
    But if you are saying that all contact should be via forum and forum only, then I agree, this would be better as stops users from having to submit personal info such as email or telephone number. Additionally, I am not sure if under GDPR rules whether this would need to change anyway.

I will pass this on to the relevant admin.

Maybe it would be better if confirmed bugs (i.e. those that have been reproduced by several users) are noted in the beta thread and stickied so that they appear below the start post.

The reason why I also think that a beta section would not work, is like I said, people don't read so even if users were to post in that section, how many battery threads etc will you see open in there. That section will become just as messy and unmanageable.

otto2 and Themurtuza like this.
  14. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop May 3, 2018

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan, May 3, 2018 :
    True. Let that be optional.

A Beta section would provide an opportunity to Beta testers to share their observations and clarifications without the worry of someone coming and commenting beta users must limit all concerns to the feedback section.

Additionally, it will bring forward how common or widespread a certain bug is, because currently we are not certain if a problem is indeed an OS related one as there is no way to verify with a larger base of testers.

Themurtuza likes this.