Cautious! Face recognition is not very secure on Oneplus5 & 5T

1. moulivarma
    Donut May 5, 2018

moulivarma , May 5, 2018 :
    Face recognition on OnePlus is not very secure. I'm not very happy saying this as a OnePlus fan, but it is true. My cousin have a OnePlus5 and it unlocks with my face.! We tried it by removing the face data multiple times and adding it again. But Everytime, it unlocks with my face. But the same didn't happen on my OnePlus5. It didn't unlock with my cousin's face. This is the third instance that came to my notice that OnePlus phones are unlocking with wrong faces. First 2 times I heard from someone else and didn't believe it. But after seeing it in person, I couldn't help but believe it.

Though it is not very secure, it does the job very well by unlocking your device like a snap. It is still usable, but use it with caution! The finger print sensor is very fast too, So we have an alternative unlike the Apple phones [e]1f609[/e] (if in case FaceID fails)

OnePlus can fix this with a software upgrade with feedback from it's users and testers. Wait for the fix if you don't like your phone to be unlocked by others (completely by accident, it will not just open for anyone).

G_siddhiyaN_dibb likes this.
  2. Daan_Eekhofアニメ
    Jelly Bean May 5, 2018

Daan_Eekhofアニメ , May 5, 2018 :
    Haven't read all but the Face Unlock was never meant to be "really" secure. This is mainly because the OnePlus lacks the sensors the iPhone X has. On the other hand you can turn it off and just use the fingerprint scanner just as fast.

3. User241
    Gingerbread May 5, 2018

User241 , May 5, 2018 :
    After months of people buying the phone and many reviews on the internet regarding face unlock you're the first person to claim that face unlock can be unlocked by other faces. We know it's not very secure but unlocking by other faces is a joke xD

I_am_Batman likes this.
  4. F_Martin_Jakobsen_eRgY
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 5, 2018

F_Martin_Jakobsen_eRgY , May 5, 2018 :
    We know fore day one. Nothing new in This post.

otto2 and I_am_Batman like this.
  5. rogerm104
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 5, 2018

rogerm104 , May 5, 2018 :
    even apple doesn't guarantee face unlock security within family relations. it's very well known that faceunlock is just conviniene features and lack security on oneplus .

otto2 and MikeG247 like this.
  6. G_siddhiyaN_dibb
    Cupcake May 5, 2018

G_siddhiyaN_dibb , May 5, 2018 :
    yes it's not secure. getting unlocked for other faces too and sometimes it doesn't recognize my face itself [e]1f612[/e]

7. schranzorama
    Donut May 5, 2018

8. DARTH 007
    KitKat May 6, 2018

Waveform Modifier likes this.
  9. Hydra Bob
    Marshmallow May 6, 2018

10. risky1301
    Lollipop May 6, 2018

risky1301 , May 6, 2018 :
    I laugh at people that actually use face security...really, no real biometrics sensors, they are all gimmicky. Use fingerprint much more secure than face unlock.

11. Mahammad94
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 6, 2018

12. stephenboyo
    KitKat May 6, 2018

stephenboyo , May 6, 2018 :
    We've always known that it isnt. Its very fast but not secure

13. Lancelot_69
    Lollipop May 6, 2018

Lancelot_69 , May 6, 2018 :
    Screenshot_20180505-200713.png

the_o2 and Hydra Bob like this.
  14. the_o2
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert May 6, 2018

the_o2 , May 6, 2018 :
    They never said face unlock is secure, tell me if I'm wrong.
    Btw check whether your smart lock might be enabled. and why the hell you people compare 500$ phone to 1000$ phone. You always gets what you paid in 1+ case gets some more.

15. F_Sagar_Sharma_TloF
    Gingerbread May 6, 2018

16. anupritaisno1
    KitKat May 6, 2018

anupritaisno1 , May 6, 2018 :
    That isn't a problem with oneplus

Face unlock is not recommended at all. First off, oneplus never made the technology and were just given a licence for it. It's a black box even to them and they don't really know what it is. There is no organisation or any secure ROM that has ever recommended face unlock. Also did you read the warning while enabling it? It clearly says that someone who looks similar to you could unlock your phone

17. anupritaisno1
    KitKat May 6, 2018

anupritaisno1 , May 6, 2018 :
    I really want to be a ***** about it so corrected all of your grammatical mistakes

Hope you do mind

Suggestions: reduce the usage of punctuation (too many commas, exclamation marks, etc)
    Don't put punctuation after a conjunction
    Put extra information inside brackets

18. Waveform Modifier
    Marshmallow May 6, 2018

Waveform Modifier , May 6, 2018 :
    No sh*t, Captain Obvious!

Artemus likes this.