change mac adress

1. j0hnby
    Froyo Nov 21, 2014

j0hnby , Nov 21, 2014 :
    Thanks for the example - that' exactly why I have done it in the past.

@Ponta9 - why did you want to do it?

2. Miraries
    Gingerbread Nov 21, 2014

Miraries , Nov 21, 2014 :
    I don't see how incognito makes your browsing safe... Open WiFis should be avoided at all costs, but if you have to use one you should use a VPN for privacy, and Tor for anonymity. Again, example.

3. gusuraman
    Community Veteran Nov 21, 2014

gusuraman , Nov 21, 2014 :
    If you drive over the speed limit in a straight street without any other car on the same street you are doing nothing bad. But you still against the law and will have to pay a fine if they catch you.

4. gatenosix
    KitKat Nov 21, 2014

gatenosix , Nov 21, 2014 :
    Just so you know, incognito browsing doesn't protect you from being tracked; websites will still track you. If you want to make your browsing as secure as possible, you should look into using a VPN (preferably one which doesn't log your activity) so that your Internet traffic will be encrypted. You might also want to use it in conjunction with Tor, which bounces your traffic around and makes it very difficult (if not impossible) to be tracked.

There are also browser extensions which you can use to help you not be tracked. Disconnect and NoScript are prime examples of these sorts of extensions.

tushar.kakkar22 likes this.
  5. netspionage
    Gingerbread Nov 21, 2014

netspionage , Nov 21, 2014 :
    You said this before I was able to. Merely changing the Media Access Control is no guarantee of anonymity, any more than merely hopping IPs is...But obviously, you already know this.

While I've not engaged in any super-heavy security-vetting of the OPO, I'd assume it has many of the same inherent issues found in virtually all mobile devices available to consumers, and anyone trying to do anything dodgy off it deserves what they get.

~JMB

6. S0bek
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 21, 2014

S0bek , Nov 21, 2014 :
    If you want to practice some hacking stuff, the best is to try to learn by your own way how to do what you want to do. If you have installed busybox, you can probably use your own scripts, and use linux commands to do that. It may also depend of your phone's NIC drivers.

netspionage likes this.
  7. alamat
    Cupcake Nov 21, 2014

netspionage likes this.
  8. alamat
    Cupcake Nov 21, 2014

9. kingzela
    Gingerbread Nov 26, 2014

kingzela , Nov 26, 2014 :
    I also need to change MAC address but all traditionals method fails on Oneplus One, if I do, it says authentication problem. Anyone has any idea to try? Do you think changing Rom or kernel will help?

10. kingzela
    Gingerbread Feb 10, 2015

kingzela , Feb 10, 2015 :
    Ok, i've been searching for month how to spoof MAC address on our device, but anybody helped me.
    So i've tried all possible steps to change the MAC address and finally i've done it!
    Here's the procedure i've followed:
    1. (Requirements) Have a rooted device. (i don't know if busybox is required but in doubt, install it)
    2. Install a file manager (Root explorer reccomended)
    3. Go in settings, wifi, tap the three point at bottom right, advanced, and disable "scanning always avaible"
    4. Open Root Explorer and go in this directory: /sys/devices/fb000000.qcom.wcnss-wlan and you'll find a file called: "wcnss_mac_addr"
    5. Open "wcnss_mac_addr" with text editor
    6. you'll see only your current MAC address. You can just edit it (edit only last digit recomended) and Save changes.
    7. Disable and re-enable Wifi, and you've just edited your MAC address! Enjoy :)

Important: The Mac address will restore as default everytime you reboot your phone.

sorry for the basic english because i'm italian, if you have any question please ask me.
    I hope i've helped you.

Dr. Indest, jhomzki and Ponta9 like this.
  11. jhomzki
    Cupcake Mar 25, 2015

jhomzki , Mar 25, 2015 :
    Finally the solution I've been searching for months. Thanks man! ^_^

12. S0bek
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 25, 2015

S0bek , Mar 25, 2015 :
    Edit configuration files like this is quite risky... Search a little bit more guys I'm sure you will find the answer like the one I proposed earlier...

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015

13. superatmel1
    Cupcake Aug 25, 2015

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015

14. CasperTFG
    KitKat Aug 25, 2015

CasperTFG , Aug 25, 2015 :
    Are those two examples in regards to Firefox extensions or another browser?

15. Massimo1998
    Eclair Nov 16, 2015

Massimo1998 , Nov 16, 2015 :
    Have you found a way for the OnePlus Two?