Lollipop Jul 24, 2019

elanglois , Jul 24, 2019 :
    A report by a commercial for-profit.

G_plusone likes this.
  2. anupritaisno1
    KitKat Jul 24, 2019

anupritaisno1 , Jul 24, 2019 :
    This was actually discussed here previously

The only "source" for cars not charging to 100% and only charging to 80% comes from a tweet by Elon musk. A tweet cannot be used as a definitive source

The regen breaking mechanism indeed doesn't work at 100% but your battery will fall below 100% and at that point regen braking will work again so this argument is invalid too as charging to 100% would give you the extra capacity and regen braking

The only valid source is information already shared here. After 80% constant voltage charging is used so going from 80% to 100% takes a long time. Some gas stations with power outlets have added limits to the charge level so that there won't be a huge queue at the gas station just because everyone wants to wait until the battery charges to 100%. However just because gas stations add a limit does not mean charging to 100% is unsafe

G_plusone and elanglois like this.
  3. elanglois
    Lollipop Jul 25, 2019

elanglois , Jul 25, 2019 :
    Also, I've read that regen braking can create huge amounts of power that would charge the battery much too quickly. Most of the regen braking power is bled off with a resistor to avoid blowing the batteries all to hell.

To use regen braking at all when the battery is over 80% would be incredibly dangerous.

G_plusone and anupritaisno1 like this.
  4. rameshshreyas
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 8, 2019

anupritaisno1 and G_plusone like this.
  5. elanglois
    Lollipop Aug 8, 2019

elanglois , Aug 8, 2019 :
    just saw the gif on Facebook just a couple of days ago. That makes about 25 years now that this argument has been going on. Cache is always pronounced cash

anupritaisno1 and G_plusone like this.
  6. anupritaisno1
    KitKat Aug 8, 2019

anupritaisno1 , Aug 8, 2019 :
    It's pronounced cashew. Any problems?

7. elanglois
    Lollipop Aug 8, 2019

elanglois , Aug 8, 2019 :
    Joking right? [e]1f603[/e]

anupritaisno1 likes this.
  8. G_plusone
    Marshmallow Aug 8, 2019

G_plusone , Aug 8, 2019 :
    Wanted to find evidence against this keep the charge between 20 to 80 percent method.
    Could not find much

9. Panzer Kunst
    Donut Aug 9, 2019

Panzer Kunst , Aug 9, 2019 :
    Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden, reports that using a reduced charge level of 50% SOC increases the lifetime expectancy of the vehicle Li-ion battery by 44–130%.

This is not from Elon's tweet. It's from battery University website.

They made some reaserch and chemistry-engineering approach in the matter.

It would be the best to counter this with some evidence as well.

10. anupritaisno1
    KitKat Aug 9, 2019

anupritaisno1 , Aug 9, 2019 :
    This isn't a place where you "hey I read a study that day and......."

No. Just no

The problem with using a study is that you have no idea if it is correct until somebody proves it to be true

A study once occurred on "vaccines causing autism". To this day people still believe it to be true. They ever heard of the diseases you can get by not vaccinating? Oh wait

To this day people keep on saying "there's a study" but in reality even the people behind the study mentioned above had to withdraw their names from it (because it was proven to be wrong) but hey they don't tell you that part of the story I guess

This thread does not link to any study and never will because a study isn't always right. Do you have any definitive evidence?

11. anupritaisno1
    KitKat Aug 9, 2019

Also a reminder that nowhere in this thread are the words "80-40" and "100-10" used

Read the first post again instead of making up things

12. Panzer Kunst
    Donut Aug 9, 2019

Panzer Kunst , Aug 9, 2019 :
    Well at the end of the day question is if the battery can be replaced by OnePlus in 2-3 years from now on. If yes it really doesn't matter that much how we charge/discharge.
    In case we will be stuck with same one I would like to know which approach will be the most optimal one.

13. anupritaisno1
    KitKat Aug 9, 2019

There are too many variables to consider

For instance even if your battery is always connected if you play games like pubg continuously the heat will definitely kill the battery

The first post also does tell you that discharging a battery all the way to 0 is bad and it doesn't matter whether it's charged to 100% or 80% after that. If you look at the quote from the electrical engineer he clearly states charging to 100% is not bad but discharging a battery to a level close to 0 definitely is

Oneplus does replace batteries but at really elevated costs especially if it's after 2-3 years and you're out of warranty

14. elanglois
    Lollipop Aug 18, 2019

elanglois , Aug 18, 2019 :
    Are you serious?

How many years does it take for the battery to degrade to 50% of its original capacity? Let's say that it takes 5 years. If at purchase you get 400 miles per change, and after 5 years, you'd get 200 miles per charge.

So, you think its a good idea to only charge to 50% from the start? Cripple the vehicle to 200 miles per charge, so that after 5 years you get??? What? 150 miles per charge? (assuming you are still going to 50%) Sounds like a lose-lose situation to me.

15. elanglois
    Lollipop Aug 18, 2019

elanglois , Aug 18, 2019 :
    The battery on my Oneplus One is still original and still fine. Replacing the battery on someone else's was quick and easy and cheap

16. Ake Winther
    Gingerbread Aug 18, 2019

17. U1546664152551
    Cupcake Aug 23, 2019

U1546664152551 , Aug 23, 2019 :
    how to do this on non rooted device?

18. elanglois
    Lollipop Aug 23, 2019

elanglois , Aug 23, 2019 :
    It should also be noted that what your phone says are 0 and 100 aren't. Draining your battery to 0 is so detrimental that the phone just doesn't allow it at all.

19. elanglois
    Lollipop Aug 23, 2019

elanglois , Aug 23, 2019 :
    I have replaced batteries on other people's Oneplus One's. The battery on my personal Oneplus One is still over 80% of original after all these years and I always leave it plugged in all night.

If you only charge to 80%, your brand new battery will have the same 80% charge that my 5 year old battery does ... so why bother? Enjoy your device the way it was designed and don't try to out-think the engineers!

20. anupritaisno1
    KitKat Aug 23, 2019

anupritaisno1 , Aug 23, 2019 :
    This has been mentioned in the first post already