charging, battery, performance, caches and battery calibration myths busted

1. Sky4fin
    Cupcake Nov 16, 2020

Sky4fin , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Nov 16, 2020 :
    You can , because phone have a system which tells it to stip charging when reached 100% , but charging it overnight leads to increase in temperature and batteries worst enemy is heat so it's better be cautious.

And there is no need for overnight charging with fast charging!

2. anupritaisno1
    KitKat Nov 16, 2020

anupritaisno1 , Nov 16, 2020 :
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_theater is what you are spreading here. Please find another thread to spread misinformation and appeal to possibility there

Read what is written in the first post again is all I will say

puccellino, Omer Farah and G_plusone like this.
  3. Gauthamarun
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 30, 2020

Gauthamarun , Nov 30, 2020 :
    Hi there. Fantastic thread, I haven't read through ALL of it but did give it a skim through, noted some important points and just have ONE question.

Apologies if you have already mentioned it in the thread but please do indulge me for a sec. Are apps always being optimized? And if this is the case is there a certain amount of time that I should leave my phone plugged in even if it is at 100% to allow for optimization to be complete?

I only asked because last night I noticed a massive battery drain on my phone, and the culprit was largely whatsapp in the background (37%) and I feel like it could be something to do with what you've said. Therefore currently as we speak my phone is plugged in and left at full for about half an hour now and i plan to leave it for a while longer which is why I asked you if there needs to be a certain amount of time I leave it plugged in before removing it. Thanks!

G_plusone likes this.
  4. anupritaisno1
    KitKat Dec 9, 2020

anupritaisno1 , Dec 9, 2020 :

Apps are always being optimized. Since Android optimizes as per your usage only those parts of the app you use frequently will be optimised. If you suddenly decide to use a functionality the app offered that you had never used before then it will be slow for the first time and Android will compile it the next time maintenance starts

Gauthamarun likes this.
  5. anupritaisno1
    KitKat Dec 9, 2020

Reading my own post again, it seems I didn't clarify why interpreter is slightly more secure than AOT. Anyway it is quite simple. AOT precomputes code and stores that on disk but doesn't do much verification before loading it. The lack of verification is not a serious risk because let us assume a hypothetical exploit on android did allow modifying these files then at that stage the exploit can just as well replace your app with a malicious one. Interpreter is a little more secure because it doesn't store anything on disk, it always computes and executes on the fly. That is the only reason why interpreter is a tiny bit more secure than AOT. Otherwise there is no security difference

For the more technical people, tl;dr is that the interpreter doesn't need to maintain a persistent state whereas AOT needs to

Remember that JIT can never be used alone, it always expects some AOT code to be there

G_plusone likes this.
  6. anupritaisno1
    KitKat Dec 9, 2020

Whatsapp draining your battery is probably due to a lot of people sending you messages. Every time a message is sent it has to wake up your device and that drains battery

One solution to this would be to use multiple users and put whatsapp in a separate user profile then force stop it when you don't want notifications. Remember that force stopped apps like whatsapp can be woken up by FCM so you need a separate user profile and need to reboot to log out of that profile. Android 11 supports logging off user profiles on the lockscreen but it needs to be implemented by manufacturers. Work profile might also be a good choice but I don't recommend it

Another solution might be to set background restrictions on whatsapp so it doesn't drain your battery. You have to understand that the cause is that somebody is sending you too many messages which is why the app is draining in the first place

Gauthamarun likes this.
  7. bl_ck
    Cupcake Jan 13, 2021

bl_ck , Jan 13, 2021 :
    So it wont do a trickle charge when it hits 80%? I mean the charger is doing the same thing, only difference is, that it stops at 80%.

8. bl_ck
    Cupcake Jan 13, 2021

bl_ck , Jan 13, 2021 :
    @anupritaisno1 First, i really appreciate your post in this thread. You did mention before that there is no proof for studies who say you should leave your battery status between 20%-80%. But is there a proof you should leave it at 100%? I would like to get a more detailed explanation about that statement. (Sorry for my bad english)

9. MRTLima
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 17, 2021