charging, battery, performance, caches and battery calibration myths busted

1. anupritaisno1 KitKat Feb 4, 2019

anupritaisno1, Feb 4, 2019 :
    I guess we are done here

If an app is taking a wakelock it is taking one for a reason and if you clear the cache it might lose data about the wakelock that doesn't stop it from holding the same wakelock again once started

Also the quoted part pretty much sums up my post

You should find why the problem occurs because you cannot solve a problem without knowing what it is

Let's put this in a real life example: say you have a fever due to an allergy and you take a antihistamine to stop the fever. You still very well realise that unless you find the allergen the medicine is just a band-aid fix right?

As for your post: consider that it could be the reboot and not the cache wipe that fixed it

2. anupritaisno1 KitKat Feb 4, 2019

I asked the TWRP developers. Apparently it's just legacy code that's deeply rooted into TWRP and removing it will cause issues with TWRP they don't want to really look at

Bintang12 likes this.
  3. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert Feb 4, 2019

dsmonteiro, Feb 4, 2019 :
    You seem to ignore the fact that the wakelock had survived multiple full charges. Clearing cache fixed it. Charging overnight like you suggest (and like I've done for years) didn't.

You can complain all you want about people clearing cache for all the wrong reason, but saying that it NEVER does any good is simply misleading.

4. anupritaisno1 KitKat Feb 4, 2019

You can also claim that windows spies on you but do you have any proof to prove what you say?

5. davidepica Donut Feb 4, 2019

davidepica, Feb 4, 2019 :
    @anupritaisno1 Congratulations on the article, really inspired but like any interesting essay raises questions in me.

1) Once I have run the command in the terminal emulator how do I know if the optimization is complete?

2) You ultimately recommend leaving the phone in charge every night rather than turning it off?

3) When I flash a .zip, such as a kernel (I use RZ, what do you think about?) Twrp asks me if I want to format cache and dalvik cache, do you advise not to do it?

Thank you for your time

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019

6. anupritaisno1 KitKat Feb 4, 2019

1) run this
    Code:
    echo $?
    If it returns 0 it was a success

Yes it was my mistake I shouldn't have assumed that the user knew

2) It's not just "night". As long as it is undisturbed on a charger it makes no difference of what time of the day it is. As for the question yes

3) You do not need to wipe cache for a kernel

Praty_28 likes this.
  7. davidepica Donut Feb 4, 2019

davidepica, Feb 4, 2019 :
    @anupritaisno1

Thanks for the explanations. Only one thing, in the phone manual says that it is not recommended to leave the phone in charge for more than 12 hours, what do you think about it?
    1549299387018.jpg

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019

Praty_28 likes this.
  8. felipemendes Jelly Bean Feb 4, 2019

felipemendes, Feb 4, 2019 :
    I do have a question too: Assuming that clearing cache is really useless (and Pixel phones do not even have the option to clear the whole cache at once), why OnePlus keeps this option?

9. anupritaisno1 KitKat Feb 4, 2019

Not something to be worried about really

davidepica likes this.
  10. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert Feb 4, 2019

dsmonteiro, Feb 4, 2019 :
    One could say the same thing about some of the claims you make on this thread.

malidan likes this.
  11. anupritaisno1 KitKat Feb 4, 2019

So do you have proof? Since android code is pretty vast I could have missed something but you haven't showed me any of the code to back your claim

12. anupritaisno1 KitKat Feb 4, 2019

No idea

The better question is why does the recovery have decryption support in the first place

13. felipemendes Jelly Bean Feb 4, 2019

felipemendes, Feb 4, 2019 :
    So you can sideload stuff without breaking the whole partition maybe? Just guessing.

14. Maverick2.0 Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 4, 2019

Maverick2.0, Feb 4, 2019 :
    They usually pin useless posts from staff such as contests and so on.

Bintang12 likes this.
  15. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Feb 5, 2019

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan, Feb 5, 2019 :
    Wonder if OEMs aren't careful with what they publish. That too with a special mention like in this case.

My fingerprint scanner is misbehaving since morning. I had kept it on charge overnight. Can that cause a malfunction like this?

I'll try it again. May be this is simple coincidence.

davidepica likes this.
  16. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert Feb 5, 2019

17. davidepica Donut Feb 5, 2019

davidepica, Feb 5, 2019 :
    This fingerprint reader probably is a coincidence but actually I worry a bit 'to leave the phone charging whenever it happens. I believe that as in all things the truth lies in the middle. After the optimization really my battery lasts a lot more but I think after 2-3 hours that my phone is 100% charged, I will unplug it and turn it off

18. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Feb 5, 2019

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan, Feb 5, 2019 :
    I have been leaving it on charge overnight for the last two days, and I haven’t noticed any improvements in battery life. My fingerprint scanner has misbehaved for the 1st time over the life of the device. I would still give it the benefit of doubt.

19. anupritaisno1 KitKat Feb 5, 2019

20. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert Feb 5, 2019

dsmonteiro, Feb 5, 2019 :
    How does anything of what we're discussing have to with actual code?

You keep playing the "I'm a developer so I know better" card but you have yet to provide any actual proof supporting that clearing cache of misbehaving apps does not indeed help with battery. In fact, you have yet to provide proof that optimization does indeed only occur when battery is left charging after it reaches 100%. A fact that is contradicted by yourself, as you then say that battery depletes because the phone is optimizing while unplugged from the wall.

The funny thing is even Google tells to clear cache if an app misbehaving:
    https://support.google.com/android/answer/2668665?hl=en

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019

buntycubal likes this.