charging, battery, performance, caches and battery calibration myths busted

1. G_Àlex_Ribé_Bachiller_Vi Cupcake Feb 5, 2019

G_Àlex_Ribé_Bachiller_Vi, Feb 5, 2019 :
    You did not read the thread if you are saying this.
    It is made clear that there are two different processes that optimize the phone. One happens when the phone is unplugged and the second one happens when the phone is plugged in and motionless as the author explains.
    The first of them is the one which drains the batrery.

2. DrMithil Froyo Feb 5, 2019

DrMithil, Feb 5, 2019 :
    Google is talking about the app cache and not system cache.

3. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert Feb 5, 2019

dsmonteiro, Feb 5, 2019 :
    Read the rest of the discussion above. As already explained, the case I put forward was of a wakelock on an app that was not possible to identify. I knew an app was misbehaving but couldn't identify which, therefore clearing system cache was the only option.

If I had root, I could identify the culprit app and clear that app's cache, but it was not possible.

4. anupritaisno1 KitKat Feb 5, 2019

anupritaisno1, Feb 5, 2019 :
    So you haven't even read the first post correctly

I sufgsug you go and read the post

5. anupritaisno1 KitKat Feb 5, 2019

Prove that it was a wakelock then

I've had enough of this nonsense. Just so you know on android 8.1 and higher you need a persistent notification to run a background service and as per http://dontkillmyapp.com oneplus does not allow these to be held in the first place

6. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert Feb 5, 2019

How exactly do you expect me to "prove" a wakelock that happened months ago? Again, either System or Android OS would pop up as the main battery use percentage, and the phone would not enter deep sleep. Funny enough, clearing cache did fix the issue, contrary to what you keep saying.

Also worth noting, that would not explain battery drain over the course of days, as the cache would get rebuilt after day one. There's plenty of things that don't old up in the original post, even if there's plenty of other things that are actually solid information.

My point from the start is that saying that clearing cache NEVER helps is false and misleading. I have no issues with agreeing that most people clear cache for the wrong reasons, though.

7. anupritaisno1 KitKat Feb 5, 2019

As per the post: the cache can take weeks to rebuild

Read the post before you argue further

8. anupritaisno1 KitKat Feb 5, 2019

And your battery stats showed basically nothing right?

Your claims keep getting more and more absurd

9. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert Feb 5, 2019

Proof for that claim?

Any source you can quote to back it up, at least?

10. anupritaisno1 KitKat Feb 5, 2019

Will you just read the first post?

It says right there: "The system analyses what is slow at runtime and only AOT optimises those methods based on a profile"

Profiling happens as you use the device and as the app runs which means that you can't build the dalvik-cache/file for that app in a few moments

11. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert Feb 5, 2019

Feel free to explain this, then:

Screenshot_20190205-133541.png

And no, there's no persistent notification. And yes, this is Oxygen OS, above Android 8.1.

12. davidepica Donut Feb 5, 2019

davidepica, Feb 5, 2019 :
    You can try to force optimization with a terminal. I honestly see the difference maybe because before I deleted the cache quite frequently thinking it could improve the duration, but I was totally wrong. How long does your battery last for normal use? Which phone do you have?

13. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Feb 5, 2019

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan, Feb 5, 2019 :
    when did you do the last software update? you could be seeing a difference probably because your phone wasn't fully optimised, or you were deleting cache unnecessarily.

I am using 3T running Havoc v2.1 (Jan'19 security patch). Getting on an average 4 to 5 hours SOT and a standby of 15 to 20 hours average. 10% to 15% battery remaining.

I probably did not see any difference because my phone was already optimally optimised. and I don't delete cache unnecessarily.

davidepica likes this.
  14. G_Random_Guy_wrOf Donut Feb 7, 2019

15. G_Random_Guy_wrOf Donut Feb 7, 2019

G_Random_Guy_wrOf, Feb 7, 2019 :
    btw when you say turn on your phone and charge overnight about 10 hours for the optimization to complete do you mean turn on the screen or just the phone

16. G_Àlex_Ribé_Bachiller_Vi Cupcake Feb 7, 2019

G_Àlex_Ribé_Bachiller_Vi, Feb 7, 2019 :
    I think he refers to only the phone being on but locked, the screen can be off.

17. sunit6k Cupcake Feb 7, 2019

sunit6k, Feb 7, 2019 :
    I get an error while running the command saying neither user 2000 nor current process has Android.permission.Update_Device_Stats

not rooted.

18. anupritaisno1 KitKat Feb 7, 2019

anupritaisno1, Feb 7, 2019 :
    You can safely ignore that error

19. DrMithil Froyo Feb 8, 2019

DrMithil, Feb 8, 2019 :
    I got the following error:
    OnePlus6T:/ $ cmd package bg-dexopt-job
    echo $?
    Security exception: Neither user 2000 nor current process has android.permission.UPDATE_DEVICE_STATS.

java.lang.SecurityException: Neither user 2000 nor current process has android.permission.UPDATE_DEVICE_STATS.
    at android.app.ContextImpl.enforce(ContextImpl.java:1830)
    at android.app.ContextImpl.enforceCallingOrSelfPermission(ContextImpl.java:1858)
    at com.android.server.power.PowerManagerService$BinderService.acquireWakeLock(PowerManagerService.java:5692)
    at android.os.PowerManager$WakeLock.acquireLocked(PowerManager.java:1572)
    at android.os.PowerManager$WakeLock.acquire(PowerManager.java:1554)
    at com.android.server.pm.PackageDexOptimizer.acquireWakeLockLI(PackageDexOptimizer.java:344)
    at com.android.server.pm.PackageDexOptimizer.dexOptSecondaryDexPath(PackageDexOptimizer.java:326)
    at com.android.server.pm.dex.DexManager.dexoptSecondaryDex(DexManager.java:455)
    at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerService.performDexOpt(PackageManagerService.java:9934)
    at com.android.server.pm.BackgroundDexOptService.optimizePackages(BackgroundDexOptService.java:361)
    at com.android.server.pm.BackgroundDexOptService.idleOptimization(BackgroundDexOptService.java:286)
    at com.android.server.pm.BackgroundDexOptService.runIdleOptimizationsNow(BackgroundDexOptService.java:428)
    at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerService.runBackgroundDexoptJob(PackageManagerService.java:10059)
    at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerShellCommand.runDexoptJob(PackageManagerShellCommand.java:1306)
    at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerShellCommand.onCommand(PackageManagerShellCommand.java:192)
    at android.os.ShellCommand.exec(ShellCommand.java:103)
    at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerService.onShellCommand(PackageManagerService.java:22538)
    at android.os.Binder.shellCommand(Binder.java:655)
    at android.os.Binder.onTransact(Binder.java:553)
    at android.content.pm.IPackageManager$Stub.onTransact(IPackageManager.java:2836)
    at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerService.onTransact(PackageManagerService.java:4292)
    at android.os.Binder.execTransact(Binder.java:752)
    255|OnePlus6T:/ $ echo $?​

Is it alright? It's a bigger log compared to what the previous guy posted.

20. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert Feb 8, 2019

dsmonteiro, Feb 8, 2019 :
    @anupritaisno1, so you told me to read your thread. I did. And then I decided to test what your thread states. You claim that people should:
    You go and, through irony, state that clearing cache causes "stutters and lags", "charge very slowly and be very hot during charging", gives you a "warmer hand" and "battery drain". You also recommend the phone to be left charging for long periods of time to avoid battery drain while use. So to put all of that to the test I made a worse case scenario vs a best case scenario.

Both scenarios were used without a SIM card to avoid any network related drains.

Scenario A) I closed all apps from the Recent apps menu, restarted the phone, left the phone charging overnight and used it the other day. After 25h, I had 3h15 of SOT, 29% battery left.
    Scenario B) Immediately after scenario A, I went to recovery, cleared cache, charged until 100% and immediately pulled the phone from the plug, used it the next day. It has been 25h since I charged the device, I'm now with 4h26 of SOT and still have 30%.

So, how all of those "facts" you shared to kill "myths" that are on the internet explain this?

You also said "Just so you know on android 8.1 and higher you need a persistent notification to run a background service and as per http://dontkillmyapp.com oneplus does not allow these to be held in the first place" and haven't explained the battery drain caused by an app, as shown on the screenshot I shared yesterday. Funny that you kept asking proof, and when I share it you go silent.

@Sridhar Ananthanarayanan, tagging you since we talked about cache and this thread on your thread yesterday.