charging issues when NOT using the provided adapter

1. tomeklives Froyo Feb 23, 2018

tomeklives, Feb 23, 2018 :
    Hi all,

Just curious if anyone has experienced this issue I discovered...

I was riding on a Megabus which provides each seat with a USB charging outlet. Knowing this ahead of time, I packed my included dash cable without the brick. When I plugged it in, the red LED would turn on briefly, then turn off. The screen would do the same and it would indicate charging, then stop, then indicate charging, then stop. This was about a 1 second interval.

Today at work I experienced the same issue. We have usb outlets in our desks and when I plugged in the same happened. I noticed that someone was using the 2nd charger in my outlet to charge their phone. When I disconnected their cable, so only mine was using that outlet, it began to charge as normal.

Is there something happening here where if there isn't a minimum amperage the phone doesn't charger properly?

I'd love to hear if someone could replicate this.

alogim likes this.
  2. AussieOnePlusUser Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 23, 2018

AussieOnePlusUser, Feb 23, 2018 :
    From what you've described, it's almost certainly a product of the phone not being able to pull enough current. This is pretty common in large phones and tablets when using those USB outlets.

alogim likes this.
  3. Waveform Modifier Marshmallow Feb 23, 2018

Waveform Modifier, Feb 23, 2018 :
    Might be not providing enough amperage. If you have a port that is only 1 amp or lower, you would actually need to turn off the phone to charge. Using more then receiving.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018

alogim and AussieOnePlusUser like this.
  4. DARTH 007 KitKat Feb 23, 2018

5. tomeklives Froyo Feb 23, 2018

Not sure if you noticed, it's f'n huge and doesn't always fit in your pocket on a crowded bus.

alogim and T1516064577734 like this.
  6. G_Angelos_Theo_(angelos) Honeycomb Feb 23, 2018

G_Angelos_Theo_(angelos), Feb 23, 2018 :
    it's also not possible when you plug directly to a usb outlet.

alogim likes this.
  7. Gav_W86 Starting Point Expert Feb 23, 2018

Gav_W86, Feb 23, 2018 :
    On the Megabus it definitely won't be able to pull enough power via the USB ports, especially if it is busy (they have a very tight amount of power available). Desks sockets it depends on the spec - I use mine in USB ports in a Belkin power strip and it works fine.

8. tomeklives Froyo Feb 23, 2018

Guys thanks for the response. Appreciate it. Was worried something was wrong with the phone and this information is useful for the future.

I just wish the phone had some way of notifying the user that the power is too low to charge.