Battery/Charging Charging port had white smoke and a come out of phone while charging

?

Send phone in or buy something new?

1. Go for the chance of a free repair and phone coming back working fine

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Buy new phone

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Joe Tattersall
    Cupcake Nov 11, 2017

Joe Tattersall , Nov 11, 2017 :
    I've had my 3T since last Christmas. The phone has been a great piece of equipment until the beginning of the week. At the beginning of the week, I woke up late because my alarm didn’t activate due to the phone not charging overnight. Later that same day, I discovered that my phone was blatantly refusing to charge with the provided charging cable. After a couple of hours of trying to angle the charger in a way in which the phone would charge, I managed to turn the phone on again. All began to work until the next day. the charger was plugged in and once I picked up the phone. The screen went completely black. The whole machine just decides to essentially brick itself for a few minutes. It wouldn’t turn back on when plugged in. Once I unplugged the device and turned it on again I discovered that it had completely reset its time and date. The date and time was set to 00:00 1st January 1970 (this being the furthest back any device can change its date to). luckily the phone got a grip and managed to jump back to the real time.

Anyway, approximately 15 minutes ago I begin to smell burning. I look down, and here I have my £400 phone spilling white smoke from the charging port. I’m confident that If I had left my phone unattended any longer that I fire could have broken out. I’m now afraid of what would have happened if I so happened to be asleep when charging the thing. It’s not a nice feeling to be afraid of charging my phone while I sleep as it’s a sleeping routine I frequently do due to not having enough time to charge my phone throughout the day because of my busy schedule. Throughout the past year, I’ve been treating my phone really well (nothing more than the odd scratch mark) so I have no reason to believe that the device is faulty because of my treatment towards the phone. Also, I’m not sure I should be sending my phone to Oneplus as I’ll be having to wait weeks to get it back. Also, I may be charged for a manufacturing error that I’m confident I haven’t been responsible for. So, I’m unfortunately now tied between possibly sending my phone off. to end up waiting for weeks to pay money to fix it and/or get the phone back to find out I still have the same problem. Or buy a new phone. I have been a huge fan of the hardware and operating system of the OnePlus and would be upset to have to discard the device because of the issue.

Any suggestions on what I should do next? Would I lose my warrantee if I was to try and repair the phone myself? Do I buy a new phone? (pixel, iPhone X)

2. Esszed
    Froyo Nov 11, 2017

Esszed , Nov 11, 2017 :
    Well this really depends on you. I would absolutely try claiming warranty on it as it is not your fault but rest is up to you. You can get a new phone and maybe sell this one after(if) it gets repaired. Or you can get some spare phone while waiting for this one to get back.

3. Esszed
    Froyo Nov 11, 2017

Esszed , Nov 11, 2017 :
    And btw, yes you would loose your warranty if you try to repair it yourself.

4. Lancelot_69
    Lollipop Nov 11, 2017

Lancelot_69 , Nov 11, 2017 :
    Just to clarify, when you say white smoke coming from the charger port, you mean the port on the charger or the port on the phone?

5. SivaKumarDovari
    Cupcake Mar 5, 2020