Check the answers of OnePlus 8T Concept AMA!

1. ZENG XI
    Product Manager Staff Member Jan 4, 2021

ZENG XI , Jan 4, 2021 :
    [​IMG]

Hi friends,

Just two weeks ago, we unveiled the OnePlus 8T Concept, our exploration of dynamic CMF (Color, Material, and Finish), bringing a new layer of interactivity to smartphones. We also announced the new OnePlus Gaudi, a global R&D design team.

I noticed some of you have questions regarding this project and would like to know more from behind the scenes. Therefore, I have invited some of my teammates to the Community for an AMA!

@ZENG XI - OnePlus Product Manager, Head of OnePlus Gaudi Studio
    @Boris Yue - OnePlus Product Manager
    @Hayden W. - OnePlus System Engineer
    @Kevin Tao - OnePlus Product Designer

Rules
    Starting today, we'll be collecting questions for the AMA on this thread! As the first AMA in 2021, we would like to bring you something new! This time, we will answer your questions in a video next week and demonstrate more OnePlus 8T Concept details. Because of the limited time, we will be only answering a limited number of questions. We will try our best to answer as much as we can, so bring your best questions forward!
    • Please keep your questions relevant to the OnePlus 8T concept.
    • Leave one question and tag the guests whom you want to get an answer from.
    • We will select 5 lucky users and give away the OnePlus Community Co-creation Jacket.
    • Questions will be considered on a rolling basis until the end of the AMA. We suggest getting yours in sooner rather than later.
    • Standard terms and conditions apply.

Winner Announced
    Congrats to the 5 lucky winners:
    @ayemei @Dhruv Kashyap @L1534107893136 @Rajat9734 @B1609822453902.
    Hope you guys like the video! See you in the next one!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2021

2. yashwant24
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Jan 4, 2021

3. Yash Pratap Singh.
    Jelly Bean Jan 4, 2021

Yash Pratap Singh. , Jan 4, 2021 :
    @Hayden W. - How do you achieve gesture controls, using a 3D Depth Sensor only or a VGA/RGB Video camera also?

@Kevin Tao - What inspired you to create the beautiful curvy fractal like designs? Or was it based on your imagination only?

And going a little off topic here, but I had designed this Gesture Control module some time ago for the OnePlus TV series which can be docked on the top USB C port of the TV. And after some more research and discussion with the OnePlus team I realized that it will cost around 9-10K rupees which is close to a 32 inch TV, and so this product will not be financially stable
    @ZENG XI @Boris Yue it will be great if you take a look at this and tell me any flaws in the product (not looking by monetary aspects) or improvements which can be made -
    Gesture control module.png
    (Front view)

Gesture module side view.png
    (Side View)

image20.png
    (Attached on the TV USB C port)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021

4. ShreyasPatil_
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 4, 2021

ShreyasPatil_ , via OnePlus 8T , Jan 4, 2021 :
    @Kevin Tao
    Will users be able to customise the colours which are gonna change based of notifications or calls?
    @Hayden W.
    Will the changing colours on the back gonna affect the battery life? If yes how has it been tackled?
    @Boris Yue
    How is the breathing gonna be monitored using mmWave and what is the thought process behind implementing it? Also do you have any plans to implement more bio features in upcoming research?
    @ZENG XI
    How did the OnePlus Gaudi got setup? How were the initial days of startup and how has it grown till date?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021

5. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016; Most Active User 2020 Jan 4, 2021

Dresa91 , Jan 4, 2021 :
    Hey @ZENG XI, thanks for this round of AMA:)

Here are my questions:
    @ZENG XI - OnePlus Product Manager, Head of OnePlus Gaudi Studio:
    How did you guys come up with this idea? How does/did the R&D process look like?:)

@Boris Yue - OnePlus Product Manager:
    What are the chances that technologies from a concept phone will be transferred to a "real" phone? I mean, what is the benefit of this?:)

@Hayden W. - OnePlus System Engineer:
    Is there a way of combining the idea of the OnePlus Concept One phone and the OnePlus 8T concept? I really like the idea of the "hidden camera".:)

@Kevin Tao - OnePlus Product Designer:
    The back is looking like a flower, why did you choose this design?:)

6. Starcommander

Starcommander , Jan 4, 2021 :
    @ZENG XI.
    This IDEA is cool but this creates a new set of problems. One of which is an opaque case will literally make this system unusable. Have you considered that situation?

@Hayden W. Why you guys didn't choose an actual display at the behind? The changing colors look good however I don't find it useful.

7. yashwant24

KaranRIyer, Guatiao, Tootsy42 and 8 others like this.
  8. Navdeep_Malik

Navdeep_Malik , Jan 4, 2021 :
    @Kevin Tao @ZENG XI @Hayden W.
    1.Since there is metal oxide in the glass what if someone drops cracks the glass....will it be harmful in any way? will the whole pattern still work in case of localised damage ie still lights up !
    2. Since the color changing property varies with voltage and valence state of the oxide does that mean the number of colors for notification is extremely limited?
    3. how soon can we see an implementation in a future device?

9. PritishPriyam
    Honeycomb Jan 4, 2021

PritishPriyam , Jan 4, 2021 :
    @Hayden W.
    Do you guys plan on using more of the mmWave technology for providing some more health monitoring features ?
    @ZENG XI.
    Are there gonna be some heating issues due to the changing of the colors and how fool proof is this feature ?
    @Boris Yue.
    Is it gonna display more colors in the future and can they be customised by the user ?
    @Kevin Tao.
    Is there a possibility of customising the pattern in the back according to the user's choice or provision of multiple patterns to choose from ?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021

10. yashwant24

yashwant24 , Jan 4, 2021 :
    @ZENG XI
    It's really good to see two concept devices in the same year from an emerging brand. And now you have a dedicated R&D centre, so how excited are you about it?
    Is the concept device development limited only to perfection of concept or is it also about focusing on behaviour and tuning other aspects combined with the concept?

11. Rajnish_Dhull

12. anunayC , via OnePlus 6T Thunder Purple , Jan 4, 2021 :
    Hey @ZENG XI.

• As mentioned Project Gaudi is a "Global R&D design team", will the community get to participate in such projects as well? If yes what would the criterias be!

• What products will you Gaudi team be working with? Just phones or even experimenting with other "Ecosystem" products as well?

• Also lastly the mmWave tech seems very intresting, is there any way you can expand it to other products in the OnePlus ecosystem?

Thanks for taking up questions :) wishing you a happy new year!

13. Rajnish_Dhull

14. luigimario
    The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Jan 4, 2021

luigimario , Jan 4, 2021 :
    Hi all, very interesting developments.

@ZENG XI - Could the mmWave technology have other interesting uses other than breathing monitoring, perhaps as a distance measurement device?

@Boris Yue - to add to the health monitoring functions of the phone, could the fingerprint sensor be used to detect a user's pulse in the thumb and provide a heart rate?

@Hayden W. - how do these novel new features affect battery consumption, or is it a negligible effect?

@Kevin Tao - What sources of inspiration were drawn from in the design of the 8t Concept phone?

15. Lokesh Dutta
    Gingerbread Jan 4, 2021

Adesh.sanmukh and Starcommander like this.
  16. sumitMZ007

17. luigimario
    The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Jan 4, 2021

18. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016; Most Active User 2020 Jan 4, 2021

pillow35, Riverborn_RN, otto2 and 5 others like this.
  19. SRD.
    KitKat Jan 4, 2021

SRD. , via OnePlus 7T , Jan 4, 2021 :
    Such a wonderful AMA and a wonderful concept.

@ZENG XI @Boris Yue @Hayden W. @Kevin Tao
    Anyone can answer

My questions for the AMA:

1. Around 70/80 % users uses cases on smartphones, the concept design is applicable to devices without case. So how to ensure durability of the metal oxide in glass if no case is used. If Case is applicable how to address it ?

2. Rather than having the pamukkale inspired design , has the team thought of having the colour changing feature around the Bezel & OnePlus Logo rather than the entire body ?

The design May not be accepted by many as a professional look.

3. Reactive sensing technology (ECMF + mm wave technology) is not a completely proven technology yet, How much is the system loading due to adoption of such technology. What is the impact on battery life ???

4. How far Oneplus8T concept moved beyond the Concept One design ?
    Electrochromic glass metal oxide, polarized filter. Can they be combined to have an invisible camera and a colour Changing logo ?

5. What are the possibility of change in specifications to current Oneplus8T design, if the concept one is adopted.

6. There was Onelab , now OnePlus Gaudi. How different these 2 teams are and why Such team can't be merged to Make a single concept Technology team.

All the best to the team for such innovative thinking. I really like the concept, as I have mentioned the design May not be liked by many.

20. Helder_DAlmeida , via OnePlus 7T Glacier Blue , Jan 4, 2021 :
    Thanks for the AMA @ZENG XI! My question is for you:
    How did the idea for this prototype come about and how many sketches were made until reaching the final prototype that was presented? How many more changes are expected to be made before the final product is presented, from the prototype?
    Happy new year for you and the team.