Check the answers of OnePlus 8T Concept AMA!

1. luigimario
    The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Jan 4, 2021

2. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016; Most Active User 2020 Jan 4, 2021

Dresa91 , Jan 4, 2021 :
    This is true:p

KaranRIyer, otto2, Batman360 and 3 others like this.
  3. camohan
    Nougat Moderator Jan 4, 2021

camohan , Jan 4, 2021 :
    Hi there Gaudia team.

My question is for @ZENG XI - Has the team considered turning the concept into reality in a smaller but important way by having the glowing effect as the OnePlus logo on the back of the phone in future devices? A precision cut case cover showing off this glowing effect will be added cherry.

KaranRIyer, Caomhin, Adinia and 7 others like this.

5. AbhilashSaikia
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer Jan 4, 2021

AbhilashSaikia , Jan 4, 2021 :
    Hi @ZENG XI, thanks for this AMA.

The concept looks interesting and I'm really eager to know if it has got some neat tricks up its sleeve.
    So, my questions are -

@ZENG XI @Boris Yue-
    Since you mentioned that OnePlus Gaudi is a new Global R&D design team, can we expect to see other projects/products rather than mobile phones?
    Also, the new development - Reactive Sensing Technology intrigues me a lot. It's mentioned that with the help of ECMP + mmWave, the device can perceive, image, locate, and track objects. But, a lot of us use cases to protect the phone. So, wouldn't the function be hampered like that? Have you considered to make such attachment cases that can work in sync so that the functionality isn't hindered?​

@Hayden W. -
    The concept flaunts "touchless notifications" and interaction that says we can accept or reject the call with a simple gesture. Well, I agree that this can be useful in some scenarios but accepting or rejecting the call without even seeing the name of the callers seems a bit off. I have assumed that this feature can be used with the device's back facing upwards. Did you guys think of a back panel wherein at some portion certain textual information could be displayed?

Also, what is the impact on battery life if these features are enabled all the time? Have you implemented any sort of battery saving feature or what kind of optimisations did you make for the impact to be negligible?

@Kevin Tao -
    The design of the concept looks really refreshing but I'm not sure if I like the pattern. Obviously that's personal preference though. But, I'm really curious to see other prototype designs which didn't make it to the final concept showcase.
    Thanks in advance! Looking forward to your answers. Also, wishing everyone a delightful new year!

Riverborn_RN, otto2 and Dresa91 like this.
  6. VonPlaf
    Donut Jan 4, 2021

VonPlaf , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Jan 4, 2021 :
    How about oneplus focus on the problems with android 11 for the 7 Pro / 7t pro instead of trying to put out a new phone.

If you are having problems with software updates for your current lineup, then why put out more phones. ?

Dugu_JL likes this.
  7. Subhadip aich
    Gingerbread Jan 4, 2021

8. B1607959097261
    Cupcake Jan 4, 2021

9. B1607959097261
    Cupcake Jan 4, 2021

10. VIVEK.DJX
    Cupcake Jan 4, 2021

11. jithu7
    Gingerbread Jan 4, 2021

jithu7 , via OnePlus Nord , Jan 4, 2021 :
    @ZENG XI
    Its a very innovative approach. My question is basically about a different application of the approach.
    Every year phones come in multiple colour and its hard to pick one over the other, and most people prefer to go with classic black/grey/white as people often gets tired of blue/green etc over the years.
    Why don't you apply this technology in the whole back panel so that people can switch colour of back panel when they prefer( atleast between the original and metal oxide colour, here blue) ??

otto2, toshi_arial and Y1603743008207 like this.
  12. DarshanMeniya
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 4, 2021

DarshanMeniya , via OnePlus 8T , Jan 4, 2021 :
    My question to @Boris Yue : As we know that OnePlus 8T concept phones have ECMF technology, we know that it changes colours from blue to silver one, Is there any possibility of changing colours to different shades? Does metal oxide in glass have any impact on its hardness?

Riverborn_RN likes this.
  13. DarshanMeniya

Navdeep_Malik likes this.
  14. DarshanMeniya

My question to @Kevin Tao : As far as we know OnePlus 8T concept has technology of ECMF and mmWave sensing technology so my basic questions to you is that if back panel get damaged/cracked than can we use this technology? If not than how much it cost to replace it because delivering new technology need more cost!

15. DarshanMeniya

My question to @Hayden W. : As we know that OnePlus 8T concept is still concept phone , how much far can we go with this ECMF technology and mmWave sensing technology, how it changes user's life and which are the areas that need more attention of development of this technology?

16. DarshanMeniya

My simple question to @ZENG XI : How does OnePlus 8T concept phone's ECMF and mmWave technology changes the way of user experience in future? We want to see OnePlus 8T concept type phone in retail markets too so please tell us about the area which need improvement and more focus to upgrade this technology.

17. DarshanMeniya

My question to @ZENG XI : How ideas comes in your mind to use mmWave sensing technology and ECMF technology in smartphone , what is starting point and while designing this type of concept phone you may have face difficulties so please share your journey of making this OnePlus 8T concept and please share how did you overcome from difficulties while manufacturing a phone which has new unknown technology!

18. thechangingtime
    Froyo Jan 4, 2021

thechangingtime , Jan 4, 2021 :
    How durable is the glass used for the changing color, does it affect if wireless charging will be supported, does it affect the IP rating for water resistance, dust resistance.

19. Larskon
    Honeycomb Jan 4, 2021

Larskon , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Jan 4, 2021 :
    @Hayden W.
    Is it be possible to control sub-sections of the colour changing back or can it only be controlled as a whole?
    Because it would be great if separate sub-sections would get coloured in indicating missed calls, text messages, etc..

20. Dhruv Kashyap

Dhruv Kashyap , via OnePlus 8T , Jan 4, 2021 :
    Thanks for bringing the AMA Team,

@ZENG XI - OnePlus Product Manager, Head of OnePlus Gaudi Studio
    @Boris Yue - OnePlus Product Manager
    How does the team plans to deal with the scenario of using a case? Also, will the tech be affected due to use of third part cases?

@Hayden W. - OnePlus System Engineer
    The Scientific Tech behind the whole concept looked pretty fascinating. Could the tech be used and generate more colors apart from blue abd silver? Does this tech affects other features of device in any way?

@Kevin Tao - OnePlus Product Designer
    Were any other designs considered for the concept?
    Would you like to share info about some of the prototypes for the concept.

otto2, Helder_DAlmeida and Dresa91 like this.