Class Action Lawsuit for Faulty USB Cable

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sganullekke
    Eclair Aug 15, 2015

sganullekke , Aug 15, 2015 :
    That's the most scary part, I think that maybe after some use of cable (got it more than a year) in the micro-usb head some wires connected and slowly heated up and got the plastic to melt. was away for the weekend so don't know the time period in which it happened

2. mwayner
    Lollipop Aug 15, 2015

mwayner , Aug 15, 2015 :
    Hmmmm.. I suggest you get some electrical contact cleaner and spray your OPO's port and the cable's connectors before charging again. I see a nice bit of heat glazing there and it's only a matter of time before the phone suffers the same fate.

Oh, how many so far have joined the class? I'm willing to offer my expert witness services. Paid in advance, of course. emoticon-0122-itwasntme.gif

SoniaB and benluca like this.
  3. scottrc
    Eclair Aug 15, 2015

scottrc , Aug 15, 2015 :
    I'm surprised the charger block still works... surely it has some kind of fuse?? The cable starting melting and it didn't blow a fuse? That's really not good.

4. sganullekke
    Eclair Aug 15, 2015

Never going to use the cable again!

5. sganullekke
    Eclair Aug 15, 2015

Exactly my thoughts. But can find anything on the charger or USB side of the cable...

6. mwayner
    Lollipop Aug 15, 2015

mwayner , Aug 15, 2015 :
    It wasn't drawing enough current to blow a fuse. You'd be surprised at how hot even as little as a 500 mW dissipation can get.

But even so, don't blame the problem all on the cable. Clean the phone's port before using another cable.

benluca likes this.
  7. bigab24
    Honeycomb Aug 15, 2015

bigab24 , Aug 15, 2015 :
    just file a paypal refund.

8. housry23
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 15, 2015

housry23 , Aug 15, 2015 :
    I wouldn't use that charging brick anymore. Do you have others? If it fried one cable like that, it could happen again.

9. paull

paull , Aug 15, 2015 :
    How the **** has that happened, oh the internet doesn't fail to suprise me lmao.

10. Dodkrake

Dodkrake , Aug 15, 2015 :
    Sorry dude, this was misuse. I've seen enough "faulty" cables to know that you just yanked the cable from the phone each time you disconnected it. Good luck on the lawsuit.

benluca likes this.
  11. Dodkrake

Dude, I also have a oneplus one. I have an iPod touch, which has the crappiest cable ever made (lightning). I also have a cheap android ZTE phone with an even cheaper cable. None of them are damaged in ANY WAY. Why? Because I'm careful. My ipod is 2 years old and the cable is PERFECT. Most cable issues (apart from them catching fire like the guy above this page) are USER RELATED and Not covered by warranty. Any company will tell you this.

12. scottrc
    Eclair Aug 15, 2015

scottrc , Aug 15, 2015 :
    Is pulling on a cable misuse though? Cables are normally made pretty well to avoid falling apart from pulling. The only way to remove the cable is to pull on it. I know common sense is to pull using the actual end part but if I was making cables I would make sure it was tough enough to handle pulling it out of the phone using the cable.

13. mwayner
    Lollipop Aug 15, 2015

mwayner , Aug 15, 2015 :
    Don't think it's a charger prob. Looks like what we have here is heat buildup due to poor mating surfaces at the connector. On the other hand, his OPO may have suddenly enabled it's hidden fast-charge feature. :D

14. scottrc
    Eclair Aug 15, 2015

scottrc , Aug 15, 2015 :
    Could dust do it? Creating a short circuit between the connectors.

15. Dodkrake

No, the way you pull it is misuse.

16. mwayner
    Lollipop Aug 15, 2015

mwayner , Aug 15, 2015 :
    Possible. Not a short circuit but higher than normal resistance between the contact surfaces. Also can be caused if the connectors are clean but not making contact entirely across the mating surfaces.

17. scottrc
    Eclair Aug 15, 2015

scottrc , Aug 15, 2015 :
    Common sense says not to pull it using the cable, but common sense is not so common. I don't think this would be classed as misuse if there was no instructions or warnings to use the cable a certain way. Wear and tear maybe depending on time etc.

If I was OnePlus though I would just send the man a new cable. There is a real chance that there was a dodgy bit of plastic used which was not heated/glued correctly during production. Automatically shifting the blame onto the customer is bad press.

18. Juanitatxu
    Eclair Aug 15, 2015

Juanitatxu , Aug 15, 2015 :
    First time I hear about it...
    Just relax and get a new cable. With all due respect, you are over thinking if you are even considering placing a sue for something like this.

19. Dodkrake

That's the american way, sue sue sue!

20. housry23

housry23 , Aug 15, 2015 :
    Well, I thought the same thing until he said his phone wasn't even plugged in when it happened.