Class action lawsuit- one plus 8 pro via OnePlus 8 Pro

1. jwthomas87
    Donut Jul 14, 2020

jwthomas87 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jul 14, 2020 :
    As of 7/13/20 Of those polled, approximately 87% of one plus 8 pro users expressed dissatisfaction in regards to the disabled feature, which was a novel feature-heretofore unseen in this market- and may have informed customers decision to purchase a device they otherwise might not have. This is a market with a lot of competition and hype.

1. Would you be interested in being compensated for a feature of a phone you purchased that no longer works?

2. Would not having the IR camera/original photochrome feature--as initially advertised--influence your decision to purchase the phone if you were purchasing it today?

If you wouldn't mind, please answer those two questions for me in the comments. The rest is just my rant.

I can see I am not the only one bothered by the photochrome feature being disabled.

I known there are some who think the feature is just a gimmick, nevertheless it's a gimmick I wouldn't have purchased the phone without.

I am returning my one plus 8 pro, due to the disabled feature, and lack of transparency from one plus on this issue (I previously had the one plus 7 pro and would have just kept it had I known the IR camera wasn't going to be working as advertised and reviewed). The fact is the product I now hold in my hand is not what I bought. I, like many others feel I've been deceived by the one plus company.

I've already sold my old phone for less than what was owed, to pay for my new one/finish paying off my old device, but I was switching carriers and wanted an upgrade not a downgrade to a regular one plus 8, I keep my phones for a long time so it made sense at the time to get the best and latest phone with a novel feature which weighed strongly on my decision to purchase outright from oneplus, instead of making payments on a phone sold by my carrier.

If I return the phone because one of its main selling points for me was disabled, I'm going to potentially be out hundreds of dollars. I paid a $40 activation fee. I bought cases, camera protectors, and screen protectors which totaled ~$80. I'm going to have to pay for insured, expedited shipping (which one plus states they do not pay for on their website) so that I can get my money back and purchase a different phone, with all of its features working.

I am luckily within the 15 day period of receiving my phone and am able to return it, but many early purchasers may not be able to do a return and will just be out of luck and have to keep their phone with a disabled feature. There is also the inconvenience and expense of getting another phone to use while waiting for the inspection and return to be processed, and any applicable fees incurred as a result.

I feel that one plus customers were misled and deceived, and I don't feel they should be the ones covering the costs if they no longer wish to keep a phone which no longer functions as initially advertised. One plus customers should not pay the price for one plus mistakes.

If you're interested in being compensated please help me out by responding in the comments by answering the previous 2 questions.

Thank you.

2. Liehjan
    Lollipop Jul 14, 2020

Liehjan , Jul 14, 2020 :
    Class action lawsuit
    Don't go into a battle you can't win...

B_Wrath likes this.
  3. jvzyl
    Cupcake Jul 14, 2020

jvzyl , Jul 14, 2020 :
    1. Definitely would like to be compensated for essentially being robbed of something that I bought. There is no justifiable reason for simply "removing" a feature. Just because it is software and you decide to "disable" it does not absolve you from what is theft or in the very least gross negligence.

2. Yes it would have influenced my decision to purchase a product that out of the box does not work.

4. Liehjan
    Lollipop Jul 14, 2020

Liehjan , Jul 14, 2020 :
    upload_2020-7-14_13-9-21.png

otto2 likes this.
  5. jvzyl
    Cupcake Jul 14, 2020

jvzyl , Jul 14, 2020 :
    What justification can they have to what is in essence the same as buy a car only to have it limited to 5mph because someone might hit a child driving it over that speed limit.

6. Liehjan
    Lollipop Jul 14, 2020

Liehjan , Jul 14, 2020 :
    It's not as great as was before, but at least you can use the lens now :p

7. JohnzyFitzgerald
    Gingerbread Jul 14, 2020

JohnzyFitzgerald , Jul 14, 2020 :
    Oh come on!
    Anybody with half a brain knows there will be no class action lawsuit.
    Just a bit of arguing back in forth on a forum, and that's it.
    Spend your time doing something more useful.

8. mojoyoyo77
    Lollipop Assistant Head Moderator Jul 14, 2020

mojoyoyo77 , Jul 14, 2020 :
    Asking for financial compensation or filing lawsuits doesn't make much sense.
    But, considering that the problem starts from a big lie, it is very unfortunate that OnePlus, instead of defending its product, acts against its customers by disabling the camera.
    By the way, I can understand that OnePlus to get out of trouble, try to trick us, disabling the camera, disguising the operation as an optimization, I cannot understand that some users defend this "optimization".

This is a great disappointment to many. OnePlus must rectify, defend the truth of its product and reset the camera.

9. gubro
    KitKat Jul 14, 2020

gubro , Jul 14, 2020 :
    Like we did not have enough threads with people whining about a useless feature that by the way was turned back on in the latest update.
    Cry me a river. I have no issues, must be in the 13% of your made up figure.

10. ritesh808
    Honeycomb Jul 14, 2020

ritesh808 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jul 14, 2020 :
    Oh, this horseshit is climbing new heights I see. The level of stupidity of OnePlus forum "members" keeps hitting new lows every week.

This is probably one of the dumbest threads I've seen in a while.. well done!

gubro and EthanMaskie like this.
  11. sfomin
    Nougat Jul 14, 2020

sfomin , Jul 14, 2020 :
    the 13% are the D-bag club :D

gubro likes this.
  12. gubro
    KitKat Jul 14, 2020

sfomin likes this.
  13. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Community Expert Jul 14, 2020

Bouncer71 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Jul 14, 2020 :
    I wonder how high the compensation could be for an feature relying on an 5 MP IR-sensor...??

Actually IR photography is not about seeing through thin materials, mostly done in specific conditions and time of year...
    Even after the update it works almost the same in bright sunny daylight, lot of green grass, trees and blue sky with some clouds...

The average user won't even notice a change and the image even has higher resolution...

So since you've just lost transparency effect and that crappy indoor photos either look crappier or don't show the effect at all...

I'm asking again...
    How high could be a compensation...?

10$, 20$, 50$...???

buntycubal, fragargon and EthanMaskie like this.
  14. jwthomas87
    Donut Jul 14, 2020

jwthomas87 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jul 14, 2020 :
    The difference is dramatic and for me (as in it doesn't work at all) it's a feature that I wouldn't have purchased this phone without it having. I watched reviews about the phone before I bought it about 10 days ago. I had the one plus 7 pro, which I would have just kept had I known this feature would have been disabled.
    1594747626916.jpg

1594747626954.jpg

15. chibbi
    Donut Jul 14, 2020

jwthomas87 and I1572052715870 like this.
  16. JohnzyFitzgerald
    Gingerbread Jul 15, 2020

17. jwthomas87
    Donut Jul 15, 2020

jwthomas87 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jul 15, 2020 :
    If you will send me your name, mailing address, email to [email address removed by moderator SoniaB] that could help.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2020

18. lavalamp6
    Gingerbread Jul 15, 2020

lavalamp6 , via OnePlus 8 Pro Onyx Black , Jul 15, 2020 :
    Almost ALL of my picture taking is done indoors and therefore I have no option for photochrom now at all. Pretty sure I noticed

19. SoniaB
    Nougat Head Moderator Jul 15, 2020

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020

Bouncer71 and buntycubal like this.
  20. Shuller
    Jelly Bean Jul 15, 2020

Shuller , Jul 15, 2020 :
    Hi, I'd like to mention that I did not bought it... however if I would:
    1. it is clear I'd like to get a recompense for the fake I bought.
    2. yes it would affect the decisions