[CLOSED]Aussie Thread

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hkkl
    Gingerbread Oct 18, 2015

hkkl , Oct 18, 2015 :
    Seeing a pretty steep decline in people interested in the opt. I sold mine without using it. Luckily for me because there are sites selling for at least 200 less than the price post exchange rate. Although the link from allenlau did put things in perspective.
    And I have to say the opt didn't really bring that much of an urge for me to use, I was playing with my phone and it definitely doesn't justify the cost. Especially the lag. So glad to be holding onto my opo. Let's hope the 3rd gen will be a hit

allenlau likes this.
  2. ericthebeige
    Froyo Oct 19, 2015

ericthebeige , Oct 19, 2015 :
    The Oneplus 2 seems a great phone, quick response, fingerprint sensor, charge cable with both ends are reversable and love the non bloat aspect of OxyegenOS. Camera quality seems great so no issues so far. The price is comparable to a Nexus 5x with a bigger screen so winner for me.

3. allenlau
    Gingerbread Oct 21, 2015

allenlau , Oct 21, 2015 :
    Got my OP2 over the weekend but haven't used it as my daily driver yet. Rooted and taken a nandroid backup too. Will probably stick with Oxygen for now but it's laggy still and there are some differences with CM12.1.

4. shokk
    Honeycomb Oct 21, 2015

shokk , Oct 21, 2015 :
    Looking forward to your review on the differences between opo and opt, and also which phone you think is better. o_O

Deactivated User and allenlau like this.
  5. Deactivated User
    Oct 21, 2015

6. Deactivated User
    Oct 21, 2015

moonwyrm, shokk and allenlau like this.
  7. Deactivated User
    Oct 24, 2015

shokk, Deactivated User and allenlau like this.
  8. Deactivated User
    Oct 26, 2015

shokk likes this.
  9. shokk
    Honeycomb Oct 27, 2015

Deactivated User likes this.
  10. allenlau
    Gingerbread Oct 27, 2015

allenlau , Oct 27, 2015 :
    OnePlus 2 short review after a few days of using it:

The Feel of the Phone
    I quite like the feel of the phone. The Sandstone feels a little rougher but helps with the grip. The "protruding" display around the edges kind of allow dusts/lints to gather while OP2 doesn't seem to have this dust issue.

Fingerprint sensor
    I like this function and it's working pretty smoothly for me. The trick of setting up your finger print, I think, is to let it capture your finger print in a slightly varied position since it requires multiple times to achieve 100%.

Oxygen OS vs CM12.1
    -It's a tad laggy still and not as polished compared to CM12.1 Nightlies.
    -There are less customisations for functions that CM12.1 allows like battery's circular icon with %, LED Notification colours and the App pages/listing whereby the screen is fixed to standard Android.
    -Lack of Privacy Guard but App Permission doesn't restrict Google/System services.
    -The 2 buttons (menu & back) though can be flipped so as to be similar to CM12.1, there are some functions that I'm able to choose to Open system/app menu with the Menu button. Also, the back button doesn't seem to apply while in Google Play Store.
    -It is not possible to have a blank wallpaper (set to None) which I reverted to taking a black pic to use as wallpaper. Weird that it's not possible for no wallpaper.
    -On one occasion, I had issue answering the call while connected to Bluetooth. Hitting the BT button as well as swiping to pickup the call from the phone didn't work at all.

Battery
    -I'm getting a full day of usage with between 20-35% left which is maybe slightly longer than OPO. Having said that, I have decided against using a few apps on OP2 (Viber comes to mind since lots of spams with the update few months ago). It either the apps are not installed or installed but not logged on. The other difference is the lack of restriction through Privacy Guard. Google Services in CM12.1 Nightlies for Oct on my OPO has been constantly popping up with error if it's been restricted.

Camera
    The lower position definitely allows better grip for me while holding it in landscape as I can hold it further in to the body. With OPO, I have to be aware of where my fingers are to prevent taking pics with my finger/s being at the edges of the images.
    Again, I like the functions of CM's camera app (CamNext) but it's not compatible with OP2. The camera app easy to use and quite snappy for the few occasions that I was using it.

Heat
    What heat? It feels a little warm when setting up/updating/optimising the phone as well as during Nandroid backup but that is about the same with OPO. No issue here for me.

Screen/Display
    OP2 definitely looks brighter and somehow crispier than OPO but slightly warmer tones.

Vibrating motion/mechanism
    I prefer OP2's in terms of the vibrating feel/motion where it's not too strong which can be annoying if it vibrates while left on the table.

No Custom ROM
    There are some limitations of functionalities with the current crop of custom ROM. Fingerprint function seems proprietary to Oxygen and doesn't work in other custom ROM. I will stick with Oxygen in the mean time. @Chris.C It's rooted by the way! lol

Dual-SIM
    I like this feature but haven't used it much yet. Either of the SIM can be turned off. Also, you can actually select preferred SIM for data as well as for calls.

Overall
    I think most of the issues are minor and new-ish OxygenOS-related. Something that I can get used to while waiting for improvements to OxygenOS.
    With the high prices of Nexus 6P and 5X, I think OP2 is still affordable with current exchange rate. Mine is bought from OnePlus Hong Kong (Asia and Europe variant) rather than from US. OPO will be handed over to my missus as she's been complaining the tiny screen of iPhone5. OP2 is most probably will last a few more years as saving up to become a mortgage slave for the bank.

P/S: I've got some OP2 invites to share, expiring in about 30 hours from now. They are from @soon.james.

Deactivated User, shokk and Ary.Somu like this.
  11. shokk
    Honeycomb Oct 27, 2015

shokk , Oct 27, 2015 :
    Thanks for the review @allenlau. Nicely done. What is your opinion of the 4G capabilities of the opt? I am not sure which carrier you use. Thanks again.

12. allenlau
    Gingerbread Oct 27, 2015

I'm with Virgin which is Optus. So far it's not an issue getting 4G.

13. shokk
    Honeycomb Oct 27, 2015

shokk , Oct 27, 2015 :
    Same here. Although 4G inside my place is not so good. Telstra on my tablet is rock solid 4G inside.

14. Deactivated User
    Oct 27, 2015

shokk and allenlau like this.
  15. 3rutu5
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 27, 2015

3rutu5 , Oct 27, 2015 :
    Lol.....bikie as in bicycle is more like it.....good to see a few consecutive posts here for a change.

Such foul language Chris, probably violates new rules

16. 3rutu5

3rutu5 , Oct 27, 2015 :
    Honestly, if I had a time machine I probably wouldn't of rooted the OPO, I haven't done anything special with the OPO since doing it apart from using it as a phone or undersized tablet on the train. So not capitalising on the rooty goodness

17. allenlau
    Gingerbread Oct 27, 2015

Didn't make even a Nandroid backup?

18. Deactivated User
    Oct 27, 2015

3rutu5 and allenlau like this.
  19. 3rutu5

3rutu5 , Oct 27, 2015 :
    Yeah I had a backup. Wasn't anything that went wrong in the process or anything to do with the rooted phone either. I just didn't really do anything with the root to justify doing it....I used a program that needed it and disabled a few things but that was it, no custom ROMs nothing custom at all....just Me and CM which was business as usual..

20. 3rutu5

3rutu5 , Oct 27, 2015 :
    Interesting....hopefully with marshmellow, the ability to MMS will return :) I've just given up on that lately