[CLOSED] battery performance

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AK569
    Donut Sep 23, 2018

AK569 , Sep 23, 2018 :
    the battery performance on android 9 for OnePlus 6 seems a bit low when compared to the oreo version. maybe some optimization issue?

2. Kytharsis
    Marshmallow Sep 23, 2018

Kytharsis , Sep 23, 2018 :
    Give it time to learn your habits.

3. AK569
    Donut Sep 23, 2018

AK569 , Sep 23, 2018 :
    sure mann

4. kamzee96
    Gingerbread Sep 23, 2018

kamzee96 , Sep 23, 2018 :
    well Android 9 comes with AI powered battery learning.

as very rightly said by the user, give it some time to learn your habits and usage trends.

you are definitely going to see an improvement.

5. PrakarshX
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 23, 2018

PrakarshX , Sep 23, 2018 :
    it's recommended that you do a factory reset after major version update, BTW, you can backup all the data with OnePlus switch app including app data which is for pie users only.
    and of course give time for adaptive battery.

6. anupritaisno1
    KitKat Sep 23, 2018

anupritaisno1 , Sep 23, 2018 :
    That's just a gimmick

AsH.VaidyA and xnutzii like this.
  7. gubro
    KitKat Sep 23, 2018

gubro , Sep 23, 2018 :
    I was wondering how long for these threads to pop up.
    There is an official thread for this.
    Also, search the forum, it was described countless times.

gaster, TanmayShreshth and Aks41179 like this.
  8. E1533399462584
    Eclair Sep 23, 2018

9. anupritaisno1
    KitKat Sep 23, 2018

Many people fail to realise that the display and the CPU are by far the biggest battery drainers and AI operates in the high level operating system

In other words AI doesn't have control over the biggest battery drainers at all and people fail to realise one more thing

Hardware acceleration doesn't mean a feature would not use battery. As per physics if something is doing some work (here, the NPU processing) then it is using energy and using power to save power sounds ironic at most

And people fail to understand that AI learns at a rate slower than humans. To teach an AI a simple game it will die on the first level 100,000+ times before finally being successful once. Do you seriously think you will actually charge cycle your phone 100,000+ times before the AI can make that one valid prediction? And users use their phone randomly, in an unpredictable pattern. A game at most is predicatable but you can't tell what app the user will open next or what will happen in the next few seconds. If you're thinking AI can process what would happen without it wasting a lot of battery itself on processing what could happen then you're wrong

10. Szaky
    Donut Sep 23, 2018

11. E1533399462584
    Eclair Sep 23, 2018

E1533399462584 , Sep 23, 2018 :
    thank you and really good points. if it's just a gimmick, does that mean that all AI-related smart phone features are just the same? i mean, all phones, at least flagship ones have AI-related capabilities. I'm just thinking that maybe AI can have its own segment and cannot be generalized. AI for mobile is different than AI for gaming or AI for social media or what not. they are all programmed differently. but that's just my perspective given what I know and I do respect your points. thanks.

TanmayShreshth likes this.
  12. kamzee96
    Gingerbread Sep 23, 2018

kamzee96 , Sep 23, 2018 :
    i hope it not man. high hopes.

13. Lukasz83
    Cupcake Sep 23, 2018

Lukasz83 , Sep 23, 2018 :
    mine too, much much better SOT and standby time

14. anupritaisno1
    KitKat Sep 23, 2018

It definitely is a step forward

Remember the oneplus 2? It was one of the first few devices to have arm64 and could perform encryption efficiently in hardware. Everyone at first dissed it as a gimmick but time later on told how useful something like that really was

Currently AI is just like that, it's in such a primitive stage that we just don't know how it would turn out or what we'll do with it and as for how OEMs are advertising it, it's pretty sad. Currently they just want you to feel as if you want that feature without you knowing what it even is

Budruel and kaushaldevy like this.
  15. E1533399462584
    Eclair Sep 23, 2018

touché. time will tell indeed.

16. anupritaisno1
    KitKat Sep 23, 2018

I'll explain why you get battery drain after a system update, factory reset or clearing the cache

If you've ever owned a device with Android 6 or lower you might be very familiar with the optimising apps screen. Well android 7.0 added a feature to skip that optimisation and use the JIT and the interpreter to optimise apps on the fly. The code running behind the optimising apps screen wasn't removed however, it was instead run when a very specific condition was satisfied (device is plugged in, charging, full battery, turned on, is not in use and is not in motion)

If all these conditions are satisfied the optimisation begins

Now we get to the battery drain part

Before you read further keep this in mind. The optimisation when the phone is idle is handled by AOT. JIT analyses the app and sees which parts are called frequently and passes a JIT profile to AOT for compilation

Remember that AOT can only use the JIT profile, anything else optimised by JIT is useless for AOT

The issue here is: when you do any of the things I said above like a system update, only the JIT is running and it's optimising apps on the fly. If it's going to optimise apps as you open them it's going to have a lot of processing overhead and this is going to heat up your device a lot and drain a lot of battery

The solution: plan when you want to do a system update. You should preferably do the system update 2 hours before you sleep so that you can leave your phone connected to a charger to allow this initial optimisation phase to pass

The other advice is to not wipe your cache often

17. E1533399462584
    Eclair Sep 23, 2018

is it the same case if I've updated to the latest OS then do a factory reset? will your advice of timing the update be applicable as well? thanks.

18. rj2890
    Eclair Sep 23, 2018

rj2890 , Sep 23, 2018 :
    I have also faced issues with battery backup
    I updated using OnePlus updator... I'm doubting if the update is authentic...any leads how do I roll back to Oreo?

19. Lukasz83
    Cupcake Sep 23, 2018

Lukasz83 , Sep 23, 2018 :
    u mean Oxygen Updater ?

20. anupritaisno1
    KitKat Sep 23, 2018

Yes it's the same. Since an updated ROM will have a different dex2oat compiler the optimisations done by the old ROM will not make sense to the new ROM and the new version of the ROM will discard these while booting

Factory reset just erases all data including these optimisations so they have to be redone

On the oneplus 6 and later the recovery tries to copy some of these optimisations to the other system partition slot and the ROM while booting checks if they are valid and reuses those optimisations if it sees them as valid