[CLOSED] [Dev Requeat] Security in lock screen. Should Not Shut Down

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LegolasX Jelly Bean May 22, 2019

LegolasX, May 22, 2019 :
    and what will your legitimate user do if the device freezes and refuse to respond? wait for battery to die or run to service center where nobody is its legitimate user? what if the user have very important calls to make and the device froze?

there is a reason where all phones with sealed battery must have a fail-safe to reboot the device.

do you think all other companies are fools to never think of this or you think thieves are too dumb? what makes you think Android devices are secure to that level which makes it impossible to break in?
    also this has been discussed hundreds of times. no point discussing again and again.

Answer me this: you just bought a new house and now are in market for a safe. You have two options:
    1. buy the safe from companies who makes and sells safe professionally.and have years and years of expertise on the matter.
    2.ask the company for a safe you bought your house from who only buys and sell houses. they have absolutely no experience and any idea about the safe.
    whom will you chose?

Last edited: May 22, 2019

pablofg1978 likes this.
  2. Ravi7123 Cupcake May 22, 2019

Ravi7123, May 22, 2019 :
    I meant no disrespect to the manufacturer or not judging their capabilities.

I am just trying to request one feature which I saw on another Android phone. Is it that stupid request??

Hope you get the point.

I also agree that there has to be a fail safe in case the device needs service, but that doesn't mean it should be a 2 second job.
    As one of the user showcased in a video, the samsung device has to follow certain step to shut it down. Even though it works it takes a bit more time than what we have currently.
    So why not have some more safety there?

BTW, all car manufacturers give some kind of anti theft technologies in their cars, but its still possible to steal them.
    Yet some are easy to steal and some are hard to steal.
    Sometimes this little difference alone can make big difference.

3. LegolasX Jelly Bean May 22, 2019

LegolasX, May 22, 2019 :
    if there is already a bypass what difference will it make?
    Android already has tracking and remote wipe and lock. what more you want from manufacturers? 3rd party apps like Cerberus does few things extra still Android is not secure.
    keep this is mind unless you buy secure devices which have specific Android OS with hardware security enabled no Android device is safe no matter what false sense of security companies provide.

a little extra button pushing will not prevent anything. the best solution to keep the device safe is to prevent it from being stolen.

my question is why will OnePlus invest time and resources on something that is simply going to be bypassed by push of button combinations?

4. Ravi7123 Cupcake May 22, 2019

Ravi7123, May 22, 2019 :
    Its purely decision of OnePlus team if they see it as a waste of resources and time or some stupid random user request and ignore it. I am not Demanding, it was just a suggestion.
    Point was to make Shutdown from lock screen either disabled or make it as lengthy as possible which may give us time to atleast ring it from other phone.

May be some people prefer putting safety door additional to existing door just as an extra layer of security and some homes comes with that as default.
    ;)

Keeping mobile safe is our responsibility. But that does not mean we keep it in a safety locker. We carry it like all the time with us.
    The threat and chances of having your mobile stolen is very much real and highly probable, specially in public places in India. (In a bus, In a train ..its a crowdy place)
    Mumbai Local anyone??

Android track and wipe is useless if your phone is off or mobile data is disabled.
    Mostly stolen phones are wiped till factory settings so it will never work.

5. LegolasX Jelly Bean May 22, 2019

LegolasX, May 22, 2019 :
    indeed its OnePlus's decision.
    the fact you are missing is the same thing is already discussed 100s of times in case you missed it and if OnePlus was interested they would have given some sort of official answer about it. you are not the first person to suggest it. I don't see anything from OnePlus regarding this, if you did, do share with us.

the fact that people put extra security to homes is that they don't carry their houses with them, you answered it yourself. they leave it unattended. do you leave your phone unattended and go to work whole day?
    its always risk of losing stuffs in crowded areas, what extra measure do you take to keep your wallet safe? can't you be a little careful with your handset you spend thousands on?

asking false sense of security just because people can't keep their things safe doesn't make sense to me, maybe It does to others.
    if you still adamant about this false security be my guest. provide feedback to OnePlus and wait.

6. ankurbhoot Gingerbread May 22, 2019

ankurbhoot, May 22, 2019 :
    Even myself brought up this issue. is there any harm in adding a layer of security. face-unlock can also be fooled by a picture. but still OnePlus has it. you people just argue for no reason at all. what we're asking for is totally justifiable and required. and to let you know, most of those who steal phones AREN'T professional Mobile Thieves. you people say about your country, but india is one of the biggest market for OnePlus. and in India this feature is required and many a times useful as most of the indians are still using a feature phone(specifically those who 'steals'.)so they aren't aware of how to deal with smartphone.
    i myself had an experience where i forgot my s8 in uber. i called my phone from other phone, went unanswered. i called the uber driver, he said he doesn't have any phone. but maybe he didn't have a pin or he didn't knew where the sim can be, and my phone was still 'on'. i used find my phone and found 4km away from me and it was moving. i chased for around 15 minutes and spotted the uber. i asked traffic police to stop him. and when i checked his car, my phone was in the folder if his car documents, where I'd never put it by myself.
    whatever you guys think, maybe illogically or irrationally, but this feature is definitely useful in indian scenario. period.

and if you people still feel that this is not useful, create an india specific poll whether this should be included or not. and let the result speak for themselves. thanks.

7. ankurbhoot Gingerbread May 22, 2019

for this specific post. if a person can search for this tutorial, there are high chances that he isn't a theif. as simple as that. you will be surprised that even educated and affluent class of india(specifically those above 50yrs) still rely on the seller even to setup and transfer files to the new phone. this is how it works.
    and its just like providing an option. even if it saves only 10 out of 100 stolen phones. I'd say that'd be worth it.
    instead of arguments, just create a poll. let's see what are the results.

8. ankurbhoot Gingerbread May 22, 2019

lol. for this india specific post, I'd like to tell that people here don't go for so much efforts. they just open the phone, and sell the spares at very cheap in local shops. like displays, speakers etc.

9. KeepTransisting The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 22, 2019

10. ankurbhoot Gingerbread May 22, 2019

okay. for your first statement that if there is already a bypass what difference will it make?. let's consider your house. it has a lock at main door. a theif knows how to pick/break a lock, but if he tries to do it, there's an alarm system attached. right? but he knows that you're out and nobody is nearby. he knows that you have loads of cash in your house. but he risks himself for the cash and successful breaks the lock and enters your house and finds. cash. but it took him 5 mins after he broke into the house and alarm started beeping. it alerted nearby people. he was nearly successful in running away.
    in this story he already bypassed the security and your cash is gone. so why in the first place did you install lock and security alarm if it did nothing for you. but for your information, it did something! it alerted nearby people! had he taken a minute or two more, he'd have been caught.

every security feature can be bypassed, but it depends on people who are on it. so it doesn't mean that it should not be used.

11. LegolasX Jelly Bean May 22, 2019

LegolasX, May 22, 2019 :
    let me make one thing very clear before you start a war here, i am not against the extra security. i only against those which only provides false sense of it.
    and now,
    really?
    you didn't read what i wrote, did you?
    do you carry your house with you?
    do you want extra security for your clothes? your watch, your shoes? even though you are wearing them.
    if you keep your phone like you keep your house unattended when you go out for your work whole day, i will understand the emergency of situation.

you carry your device with you when you travel which already has basic security in the form of pin, password and tracking with remote wipe and locate. its not that the devices are completely unlocked for the thieves by the companies and also prevents you from applying any sort of security on your own, are they?

now you want an extra option that will delay turning off device. for how many minutes? 5 ,10? what happens if you notice that the device is lost after 5-10 minutes? and if you keep checking your device every 5 minutes i don't think you will lose it unless someone snatches it from your hand.
    just to be sure that you will locate your device in that 5 minutes?

also if you are in utter emergency and your device froze, how long will you wait for the device to be rebooted so that you can ask for help?

and nobody in the world will know that this brand of device needs a specific trick to turn off?
    jesus you guys think all other people are dumb and only you guys are smart enough to prevent all smartphone theft...
    if this is true..i am with you on this feature.

Last edited: May 22, 2019

12. ankurbhoot Gingerbread May 22, 2019

okay. Samsung, the biggest smartphone brand, is dumb. topic closed. and yes. we don't say we want 5 minutes hard reset technique. as i said in last post, every security system can be bypassed, it just needs a right person. and not many thieves are 'right person' for that. and so we don't ask for anything thay prevent hard reset. we just ask for a security which prevents switching off phone/mobile data/flight mode/location. just what Samsung provides. whose engineers are dumb btw to provide that. lol....

13. LegolasX Jelly Bean May 22, 2019

LegolasX, May 22, 2019 :
    no they are smart, they just think everyone else is dumb because they can't keep their devices safe.
    you know just because Samsung does it, we should do it too, because they are (your words not mine) "dumb" and we should totally follow them because they are the greatest smartphone maker and what they do becomes rule for every other brands to follow..Apple..pff who are those peasants. nobody follows them....

14. ankurbhoot Gingerbread May 22, 2019

LegolasX

no they are smart, they just think everyone else is dumb because they can't keep their devices safe.
    you know just because Samsung does it, we should do it too, because they are (your words not mine) "dumb" and we should totally follow them because they are the greatest smartphone maker and what they do becomes rule for every other brands to follow..Apple..pff who are those peasants. nobody follows them....​

*OnePlus launches their first ever phone with qhd hdr10+ curved edge screen*

15. LegolasX Jelly Bean May 22, 2019

LegolasX, May 22, 2019 :
    oh and only Samsung has curved screen phones in the world..damn i thought other brands of devices existed apart from Samsung and OnePlus. i was so wrong. thanks for correcting me

16. ankurbhoot Gingerbread May 22, 2019

because Samsung was trendsetter and maybe commercially first with note edge. others might have done even before, but Samsung made it mainstream.
    I'd also have wrote about similar camera configuration (main+tele+wide) which apple doesn't have btw. but i didn't write it cuz Samsung here was not a trendsetter.

17. ankurbhoot Gingerbread May 22, 2019

and let's not divert from the topic. thing is, would it be any bad, if not good, by adding that feature? you'll say bla.bla.bla.... OnePlus would not invest in such things and all. but OnePlus marketed themselves as a brand which listens to their customers and their needs (headphone jack*coughs*). and if majority of consumer agrees to have that feature, why would OnePlus don't do it. and to know how many want that, create a poll. simple as that.

18. LegolasX Jelly Bean May 22, 2019

LegolasX, May 22, 2019 :
    yeah right trend setter, you got that right. how many devices actually did other companies produce after note edge and s6 edge was introduced? it took years and years and only then few other companies tried with the formula.
    Apple removed headphone jack and within months of that every other companies started doing it, Samsung trend pff..give it a rest mate. this is not Samsung praise thread nor vs Samsung.
    And please don't brag about Samsung to me. I don't care what they do, i don't buy their devices to use.

drl431 likes this.
  19. pablofg1978 Spanish POC Assistant Head Moderator May 22, 2019

pablofg1978, May 22, 2019 :
    The thief can put your device in silent just using the slider, good luck trying to find it...
    Indeed
    Please next time use the search before creating a new thread. There are similar threads already open for discussion.
    Redundant thread closed

drl431 and Kytharsis like this.