[CLOSED]Discussion about updates and forum netiquette

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ultraman215
    Gingerbread Sep 10, 2019

Ultraman215 , Sep 10, 2019 :
    I think sometimes Admins lose sight of the fact that people in this community are customers...Sigh...

I see the dumb posts and feel your frustrations, but if you're not suited for this kind of customer service, then consider a different job...

There's an update available for many users with vague and ambiguous details of its content. The update appears to be an OTA update for Oxygen OS with a version of 9.5.13. I received this update notice on the unlocked OnePlus 7 Pro.

Many OnePlus CUSTOMERS are coming to this community seeking guidance only to have their threads closed.

Historically, the same people closing the threads advocate SEARCHING for an existing thread are the ones closing these threads telling CUSTOMERS to wait for some official thread when clearly CUSTOMERS are indicating no threads exist.

There have been supply chain attacks before where an adversary is able to compromise the update infrastructure with malicious applications or code.

A reasonable person would expect to come to a trusted community such as this an expect better guidance as a PAYING CUSTOMER.

Historically, we receive a communication that OnePlus is beginning a software update with details prior to the rollout so this is highly suspicious and abnormal activity being experienced by PAYING CUSTOMERS.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019

xaxaxa00, G_plusone, roryrudy and 4 others like this.
  2. otto2
    Lollipop Sep 10, 2019

B_Wrath, iNtEnSePL and xMcMx like this.
  3. xMcMx
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 10, 2019

xMcMx , Sep 10, 2019 :
    There's been updates before that were region locked (for India only for example). In cases like these there were no official announcement made in the main forum section.
    I live in Germany and usually receive new stable builds rather quickly. I've checked my system settings a couple times in the last days and there was no sign of a new update.
    So I think it's not meant for every user.

Just because there's an app that lets you download every single OOS update doesn't mean you should.

akks, otto2 and Ultraman215 like this.
  4. Ultraman215
    Gingerbread Sep 10, 2019

I agree. I would never side load an OS update or application from a third party source. The update I'm referring to, at least in my specific scenario, is an OTA update. There's a very vague change log. Searching this community forum hasn't provided any clarification...

5. Stevrod
    Eclair Sep 10, 2019

Stevrod , Sep 10, 2019 :
    I agree with you and support having a thread opened for this release. I'm one of those who had his thread closed because it was considered pointless, but it wasn't nor did it violate that rule. Can't call something pointless because you can't find a legitimate rule you can use to close it. Bottom line people should not be expected to go through a thread for a different release when it's customary on these forums to separate threads for different releases. Some of the mods here are not really here to help, thus they become part of the problem.
    For a release that was released several days ago now it doesn't look like an official thread for it is being opened. Therefore there's nothing wrong with the community discussing it. There are no rules against it and it's not pointless.

DonDerham and Ultraman215 like this.
  6. Ultraman215
    Gingerbread Sep 10, 2019

I noticed all the closed threads with the rude comments...I came here and searched 9.5.13 BEFORE just opening a thread...

I have it (9.5.13) available as an OTA and I don't intend to download it until I get more information...

Honestly, I wasn't expecting another update until Android 10 with September Security Patch...I have no idea what 9.5.13 is...

xaxaxa00 and DonDerham like this.
  7. xMcMx

xMcMx , Sep 10, 2019 :

Ultraman215

I agree. I would never side load an OS update or application from a third party source. The update I'm referring to, at least in my specific scenario, is an OTA update. There's a very vague change log. Searching this community forum hasn't provided any clarification...​

I know that some people received it via OTA. But I've seen people on Reddit talking about downloading it via Oxygen Updater just for the sake of having the latest version.

If you search the OnePlus forum or even Google you'll find the official change log of 9.5.13 which kinda proves that this update was meant for users based in the US.
    There's no point in releasing it elsewhere or even trying to download it outside the US.

I personally think it's perfectly fine OnePlus did not publish an official thread about this update since they only do so when releasing an update for every region.

Ultraman215 likes this.
  8. Ultraman215
    Gingerbread Sep 10, 2019

I searched both Google and this forum with no results for change log... I'll check again. Thanks

9. xMcMx

xMcMx , Sep 10, 2019 :
    1568154698047.jpg
    That's a screenshot from a relatively recent (closed) thread. It shows the change log.

Btw if you can download it via OTA isn't there a possibility to tap on change log? Or does it only show the changes made by the latest version installed?

TheGlissando likes this.
  10. Ultraman215
    Gingerbread Sep 10, 2019

Oh... I have that screen... Thanks.

Was hoping for more information OR something from OnePlus...

Thanks again.

xMcMx likes this.
  11. oneplusurya
    Gingerbread Sep 11, 2019

oneplusurya , Sep 11, 2019 :
    Dont be an *** hat..The man got a point..

12. kidjt94
    Froyo Sep 11, 2019

kidjt94 , Sep 11, 2019 :
    I just got this update OTA, the bullet point at the end with no text makes me nervous. I'm North American region.

hopefully we get a better explaination soon.

xaxaxa00 and Ultraman215 like this.
  13. Ultraman215
    Gingerbread Sep 11, 2019

Ultraman215 , Sep 11, 2019 :
    Exactly! It doesn't look very professional... Even the opening caption / paragraph seems odd...

kidjt94 likes this.
  14. kidjt94
    Froyo Sep 11, 2019

kidjt94 , Sep 11, 2019 :
    exactly, like a patch rolled out without review or professional oversight. or a hack...

Ultraman215 likes this.
  15. TheGlissando
    Donut Sep 11, 2019

TheGlissando , Sep 11, 2019 :
    I just downloaded it and applied the update purely for enabling Visible. I am a VERY happy camper, as I was trying out their service with their entry level phone. Popped my Visible SIM in. VIOLA! Life is peachy! OnePlus keep it coming!

16. Ultraman215
    Gingerbread Sep 11, 2019

I'm happy for you...

One would think this small update would be HUGE in the sense it expands their marketability of the phone, yet no formal communication here?

Why?

I'll wait... I don't need it based on the description...

17. OnePlusAim
    Gingerbread Sep 11, 2019

OnePlusAim , Sep 11, 2019 :
    Woaaah There Guy Leave The Admins and the Moderators Alone There is A Lot Going on Behind the Scenes... Just Chill Bro or Play With some Custom Roms ro something

otto2 likes this.
  18. DonDerham
    Eclair Sep 11, 2019

DonDerham , Sep 11, 2019 :
    Surprised that the trigger happy fellow hasn't yet shut this thread down. I got the update, poked around settings and haven't noticed anything different.

Ultraman215 likes this.
  19. SoniaB
    Nougat Senior Moderator Sep 11, 2019

SoniaB , Sep 11, 2019 :
    Hey there
    I have edited your thread title since it's not specific to any one particular update nor device.

To address some of what you have said:

It is true that there are occasions when users are getting update notifications on their devices before an admin thread has been opened on the forum advising the same. In those cases, moderators either allow one user thread to remain open and merge all the others to it until the official thread is live, or indeed close such threads stating please wait for official announcement.
    This is simply to keep the forum as clean as possible. Can you imagine how even more difficult it is for someone to find a thread relevant to them when all they see is a flood of update threads? Also, 99% of these threads simply show a screenshot of the update and nothing else. It doesn't bring anything of import to the community.

However, you do make a valid point and this was one that other moderators also gave previously as feedback to admins. An admin update thread being released after the update has already started rollout is not good. I will again give this feedback to admin.

However, you need to understand that this is a user forum. Yes we are all customers of OnePlus, but this is a community of users. Moderators are themselves customers of OnePlus but users of this community with added permissions to moderate. Our role is simply to assist and ensure forum rules are upheld and maintained.

B_Wrath, superplus, iNtEnSePL and 4 others like this.
  20. Ultraman215
    Gingerbread Sep 11, 2019

SoniaB

Hey there
    I have edited your thread title since it's not specific to any one particular update nor device.

To address some of what you have said:

It is true that there are occasions when users are getting update notifications on their devices before an admin thread has been opened on the forum advising the same. In those cases, moderators either allow one user thread to remain open and merge all the others to it until the official thread is live, or indeed close such threads stating please wait for official announcement.
    This is simply to keep the forum as clean as possible. Can you imagine how even more difficult it is for someone to find a thread relevant to them when all they see is a flood of update threads? Also, 99% of these threads simply show a screenshot of the update and nothing else. It doesn't bring anything of import to the community.

However, you do make a valid point and this was one that other moderators also gave previously as feedback to admins. An admin update thread being released after the update has already started rollout is not good. I will again give this feedback to admin.

However, you need to understand that this is a user forum. Yes we are all customers of OnePlus, but this is a community of users. Moderators are themselves customers of OnePlus but users of this community with added permissions to moderate. Our role is simply to assist and ensure forum rules are upheld and maintained.​

Hello,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

This post is in fact specific to the OTA update, version 9.5.13 received for the OnePlus 7 Pro. I received the update on September 10th , 2019. You can observe in the many screen shots provided the grammar appears unprofessional and somewhat incomplete.

My device happens to be the unlocked stock version, un-rooted.

I think the original title and section of this post in the OnePlus 7 Pro forum was appropriate.

Since you appear to have Administration privileges , you should be able to observe all the posts before this that expressed concern about the update. Many stated they received the update via a third party app. Additionally I believe you should be able to observe the comments associated with the closure of those posts which are very unprofessional in my opinion.

Myself and others are seeking to validate the authenticity of the Oxygen OS OTA update version 9.5.13.

DonDerham likes this.