[CLOSED][GUIDE] How to Unroot your OnePlus 3 / 3T and go back completely to stock

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. calvinistmac Jelly Bean Mar 2, 2018

calvinistmac, Mar 2, 2018 :
    I've explained this back in the thread. It's a driver issue. Reinstall the ADB drivers and reboot your machine.

f00tbaLL, leipolmo and BeingIncog like this.
  2. leipolmo Cupcake Mar 2, 2018

leipolmo, Mar 2, 2018 :
    Did that - the ' cannot read' error is gone now but after typing adb sideload... it just says installation failed on the OP3 with a message in the windows command prompt just saying "Total xfer: 0.00x" - any idea bout that?
    Thanks for your help!

f00tbaLL likes this.
  3. calvinistmac Jelly Bean Mar 2, 2018

calvinistmac, Mar 2, 2018 :
    You might have a bad download. Try a fresh download of the ROM zip.

f00tbaLL likes this.
  4. Strongbrain Eclair Mar 25, 2018

Strongbrain, Mar 25, 2018 :
    Capture.PNG

hey !
    I was unrooting my device through following your instructions. By the Point 7 everything is going right BUT at point 8 when I try to sideload my OTa.zip it show some error sorry I did not note that error ( but basically its means that Ota.zip can't be sideloaded ). after that I became worried I don't want to Bricked my device, So I Follow other instructions from other website but it messed up all. Now my phone don't shows any recovery options in Boot loader. when I select Recovery mode It Shows "decrypting" and stuck at 98% 99% after loading. Fortunately My phone is in working conditions.

I am uploading one screenshot may be it will help you to understand my Situation.

Now please tell me what should I do now ? Please Reply ASAP.

and I still have TWRP in my phone.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018

f00tbaLL likes this.
  5. calvinistmac Jelly Bean Mar 25, 2018

calvinistmac, Mar 25, 2018 :
    First thing, please don't quote the entire original post. It's bad forum etiquette.

Second thing, you should've stopped at your error and then contacted me. You combined my steps with another site's steps (which I haven't vetted) and now I have absolutely no clue what's wrong with your device as you deviated from my steps. This is akin to going to the doctor for an illness. He gives you instructions on how to take care of it but then something goes wrong and he goes to a quack down the street and makes himself worse. He should've gone back to his original doctor when something went wrong. Same thing applies here.

The best I can tell you now is to use the unbricking tool (look in the pinned threads for the thread on this). Follow the instructions in there to bring your phone back to stock, and don't root your device any more after that.

6. Strongbrain Eclair Mar 25, 2018

Strongbrain, Mar 25, 2018 :
    thnks for you suggestion.

calvinistmac likes this.
  7. Silviu094 Gingerbread Mar 25, 2018

Silviu094, Mar 25, 2018 :
    emphasis on don't root

8. mjb_05 Cupcake Mar 29, 2018

mjb_05, Mar 29, 2018 :
    Hey Buddy, Great article, saved me no end of bother!

It's a big thread, so admittedly, I haven't read all of it...

If it helps anyone, I came across an issue while sideloading the ROM.
    "Error: protocol fault (no status)"

This was due to older version of ADB/Fastboot drivers.

I installed the All-In-One Tool from XDA.
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/software/tool-tool-one-driversunlocktwrpfactory-t3358711
    (Thanks to Mauronofrio)

Worked Flawlessly!

Many thanks again.

calvinistmac and Lancelot_69 like this.
  9. calvinistmac Jelly Bean Mar 29, 2018

calvinistmac, Mar 29, 2018 :
    Thanks for the input! I'll revamp the original post with that link (and credit you of course) :)

Most everything you need to read I've put in the original post.

Glad it's still helping people after all of this time!

10. calvinistmac Jelly Bean Mar 29, 2018

calvinistmac, Mar 29, 2018 :
    TO ALL:

Version 4.2 of the guide is up. I added the link from @mjb_05 in as well as updated the Open Beta version numbers to the latest. Also there is an important note at the top of the post. Please read it.

Happy unrooting!

BeingIncog likes this.
  11. G_Sam_Saju_sqZs Donut Mar 31, 2018

G_Sam_Saju_sqZs, Mar 31, 2018 :
    @calvinistmac I am thinking of getting back to stock but I used a toolkit to unlock my oneplus 3 but I haven't rooted it yet is it still safe to use this method BTW I'm pretty sure the program just automates writing the adb commands and another question should I update to oxygen os 4.5.1 before I update to oreo since I'm currently on 4.0.3?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018

12. mjb_05 Cupcake Apr 1, 2018

mjb_05, Apr 1, 2018 :
    If you follow the guide, it'll completely return it to stock.
    Also, it'll clean install to the latest version.

Most of the tools do as you say, automate the commands to save typing them in.

The advice i'd give... and Emphasise... Backup all your data!

13. G_Sam_Saju_sqZs Donut Apr 2, 2018

G_Sam_Saju_sqZs, Apr 2, 2018 :
    Is it safe for me to relock bootloader even though I've used a toolkit to unlock it?

14. calvinistmac Jelly Bean Apr 3, 2018

calvinistmac, Apr 3, 2018 :
    The toolkit uses the same commands you would type manually so yes, it's safe.

G_Sam_Saju_sqZs likes this.
  15. G_Sam_Saju_sqZs Donut Apr 3, 2018

G_Sam_Saju_sqZs, Apr 3, 2018 :
    Thanks for the reply

calvinistmac likes this.
  16. G_Sam_Saju_sqZs Donut Apr 3, 2018

G_Sam_Saju_sqZs, Apr 3, 2018 :
    I have one more question the reason I am relocking my bootloader is because dm verity doesn't let me flash any rom except oxygen os ones, so is it still safe? I have TWRP 3.0.4-1

17. calvinistmac Jelly Bean Apr 4, 2018

calvinistmac, Apr 4, 2018 :
    Is the dm-verity warning coming up when you boot the phone?

18. G_Sam_Saju_sqZs Donut Apr 4, 2018

G_Sam_Saju_sqZs, Apr 4, 2018 :
    Yeah each time I reboot my phone and when I try to boot into recovery through my phone it takes to the stock boot loader even though I have TWRP 3.0.4-1 installed and if I want to access TWRP I need to use the toolkit / adb commands

19. calvinistmac Jelly Bean Apr 4, 2018

calvinistmac, Apr 4, 2018 :
    Your best bet is to use the unbrick tool to bring it back to stock at this point. There's a stickied post in the forums here with the links and instructions. There are multiple ways to get rid of dm-verity but the unbrick tool will bring you back to bone stock and then you can bring the software up to the latest from there.

20. theshinybeast Lollipop Apr 4, 2018

theshinybeast, Apr 4, 2018 :
    Not a very appropriate forum name.;)

calvinistmac likes this.