[CLOSED] Interview - Carl's Views On Mobile Business

?

Do you buy a new phone after 12-18/ months?

1. Yes

35 vote(s)
    36.1%
  2. No

62 vote(s)
    63.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sagar452
    Gingerbread Aug 2, 2015

sagar452 , Aug 2, 2015 :
    pete also gave a hint about another oneplus product this year....it'll be mid range mobile with good specifications but with good design and hardware.
    Thats all I read in an interview 1-2 months back

2. OneTimesOne
    Honeycomb Aug 2, 2015

OneTimesOne , Aug 2, 2015 :
    He's not even Steve Jobs. Jobs was a visionary. He was an innovator. He had the right to say what he said...even if he was a bit brash.

DO NOT mention in the same sentence as Steve Jobs.

Carl isn't an innovator. He would like you to think he is...but what has he and the company that has released a total of 1 big product, actually invented? He's not inventing anything. He's got no right to tell people what is important. He doesn't have the experience to be able to tell people anything.

Haha...so he thinks most people change their phones every 1 to 1.5 years? Try every 2 to 3 years...or more.

3. powerXtreme
    Honeycomb Aug 2, 2015

powerXtreme , Aug 2, 2015 :
    It's nice that Carl is transparent and honest about everything, but I think he is sometimes too open and that could eventually brake his/OnePlus's neck. Some things should just stay behind closed doors. Doors exist for a reason.

I'm wondering if OnePlus really wants to be like Samsung and Apple, rolling out several phones and other devices each year. I can see it happening, but I'm not sure I like it. They're growing fast, which is great, and I guess that brings change with it. But I don't want OnePlus to become another large greedy evil corporation - we have plenty of those already.

As for the second phone, now I'm not so sure wheter to get the 2 or not. On one hand I refuse to wait till December, on the other I'm curious. But I really doubt they will put out something better (SD820/QHD/NFC/QC/...) and hurt OP2 sales and disappoint fans. I think it would be more logical, as rumours months ago suggested, to put out a smaller, cheaper and less equipped device instead. Something for $249-$289. Maybe with a 5" screen, newer quadcore Snapdragon CPU, 2GB RAM, 8MP camera, 16GB storage? I think it could appeal if done right, having a nice design and good performance. But what puzzles me is why would Carl be so hyped about it if it had worse specs. Hm.

I still think I'm getting the 2. December is waaaaay off.

4. NaterTots
    Jelly Bean Aug 2, 2015

NaterTots , Aug 2, 2015 :
    I agree with you. But that interview paints the picture I said. Sorry for the wrong comparison then. But the fanboys here are blinded by the light. Just like that other company

5. oneplusonedollarbillyall
    KitKat Aug 2, 2015

oneplusonedollarbillyall , Aug 2, 2015 :
    by the way, my response wasn't meant to piss you off. I meant no harm, but since you got your panties in a twist and took it out of context, I came back with an insult. People like you who can't tell the difference between an insult and making a joke don't belong on this forum.

RideBike likes this.
  6. jsims19pe
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 2, 2015

7. hemantjaiswal17
    Froyo Aug 2, 2015

kuverti likes this.
  8. oneplusonedollarbillyall
    KitKat Aug 2, 2015

If they don't have plans to get bigger and better then they are wasting their opportunities for the future.

9. Radeon962
    KitKat Aug 2, 2015

Radeon962 , Aug 2, 2015 :
    No, I don't believe what Carl has to say at all. He just says whatever he believes the masses here want to hear. That is why I was so surprised he said anything about another phone let alone that the next phone would be his daily driver.

Why would you but the Two if there is potential for a better phone in a few months.

I guess he believes #HYPE is good regardless.

10. jflcn2
    Froyo Aug 2, 2015

jflcn2 , Aug 2, 2015 :
    Very sensible view.Oneplus are a small niche phonemaker with an appeal to a tiny part of the total cellphone market.

mclanton00 likes this.
  11. xpress7
    Honeycomb Aug 2, 2015

xpress7 , Aug 2, 2015 :
    Yup, he should have mentioned whether it is a more spec'd version or mini. People who has confusion whether to upgrade their OPO or not will now decide to wait. :D

12. kuverti
    Gingerbread Aug 2, 2015

kuverti , Aug 2, 2015 :
    I really do not understand the problem you all have with NFC. My two previous phones had NFC and I used it neither time. I even wonderd why they make phones with such useless technology, but then again some people use it and for them it is a must have for a phone.

13. OneTimesOne
    Honeycomb Aug 2, 2015

OneTimesOne , Aug 2, 2015 :
    That other company has been doing this for years. I can respect that they know what's going on (or at least did...until that Jobs passed away). Like I said...until Oneplus or its big brother Oppo have achieved the level of notoriety that Apple has...please...let's not compare the two companies or fan bases. Apple practically invented the smart phone. And their product are of premium level build quality and covered by customer service. Meanwhile, my OPO with the yellow band on the bottom is ignored by Oneplus customer service. Apple's fanbase has been built up by good products and supreme customer service. Oneplus fanboys are created by being deprived of the product to the point they obsess over it...kinda like sex.

14. RideBike
    Jelly Bean Aug 2, 2015

RideBike , Aug 2, 2015 :
    Carl is talking shit.
    #hype was a joke #futureproof was even worse.
    Thing is, op2 is a great device but by excluding small features like NFC it became not future proof at all. Guess they won't make the same mistake with their next phone.

15. evil11204
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 2, 2015

evil11204 , Aug 2, 2015 :
    So they really make a mistake not add the NFC

16. NaterTots
    Jelly Bean Aug 2, 2015

NaterTots , Aug 2, 2015 :
    :)

17. powerXtreme
    Honeycomb Aug 2, 2015

powerXtreme , Aug 2, 2015 :
    Yes, that's true. What I meant was that you can still get big without becoming ignorant, shortsighted or full of yourself, ie greedy, evil and corrupt. Some companies start with a happy face and a year later turn on their fans and start caring only about money. And not just companies, but celebrities as well.

18. oneplusonedollarbillyall
    KitKat Aug 2, 2015

If they were to come out with an as good or better phone than the OP2 in December, they would be pulling a sony, apple move with the only difference sony intentionally does that. I imagine that would piss off a lot of OP2 owners just like apple did when they released the iPad 4 6-9 months after the iPad 3. That is no way to build brand loyalty. While for people like me it would be a welcome addition in December, I would feel bad for the people who buy the phone now.

What they really should do (if they truly want to come out with another high end device) is halt production now and create the phone that should be the flagship killer but they probably can't afford to do that for many reasons.

Radeon962 likes this.
  19. Deactivated User
    Aug 2, 2015

20. Mr. BG
    Marshmallow Aug 2, 2015

Mr. BG , Aug 2, 2015 :
    Well, that was pretty clear!

Exactly why i stick to my One for the forseeable future.

There is no need for me to upgrade, the One does everything i need with two fingers up its nose, just hope @Carl and the crew will fix the camera software on the one, because that Sony Exmor can do so much better...

disabledcyclist likes this.