[CLOSED] IS ONE PLUS ARE WATERPROOF via OnePlus 7

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SATHYAGIREESWARA
    Cupcake Nov 13, 2019

2. Dresa91
    Android Q Nov 13, 2019

Dresa91 , Nov 13, 2019 :
    1. Can you please open a thread in a proper way? In whole sentences?
    2. can you please use search function before creating a redundant thread?
    3. Can you please read the spec sheet of the devices?

Budruel, ngydat, Auristic and 4 others like this.
  3. B_Wrath
    Marshmallow Nov 13, 2019

Auristic, MosheG1 and Dresa91 like this.
  4. Liehjan
    Lollipop Nov 13, 2019

Liehjan , Nov 13, 2019 :
    Are there any waterproof phones on the market?:rolleyes:

Dresa91 likes this.
  5. MosheG1
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 13, 2019

6. Wackencorpse
    KitKat Nov 13, 2019

Wackencorpse , Nov 13, 2019 :
    He is a "cupcake", did you expect something different?

Auristic, MosheG1 and Dresa91 like this.
  7. Liehjan
    Lollipop Nov 13, 2019

Liehjan , Nov 13, 2019 :
    False, it's water resistant for 30 min at 2 meters... There is a huge difference between resistant and proof :)

MosheG1, B_Wrath and Dresa91 like this.
  8. Dresa91
    Android Q Nov 13, 2019

Dresa91 , Nov 13, 2019 :
    sorry :(

Wackencorpse and MosheG1 like this.
  9. MosheG1

MosheG1 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Nov 13, 2019 :
    water resistant and proof are basically the same because if you leave it Underwater for 30 min it will be fine, there are plenty of YouTube videos where they test it. so how much more waterproof do you need? and please explain the HUGE difference between them as you say there is!

10. Liehjan
    Lollipop Nov 13, 2019

Liehjan , Nov 13, 2019 :
    The difference,
    A water proof device has water damage covered by warranty
    A water resistant device, water damage isn't covered by warranty

11. MosheG1

that has nothing to do with how waterproof it is, that's just which terminology gives you a right to a warranty. you asked which phones are waterproof not which phones have a warranty that covers water damage.

12. MosheG1

I feel like I'm coming across as aggressive, and I don't mean to be and I apologise if you think I'm getting aggressive. sorry. I started out as just trying to help and I ended up attacking you.

Liehjan likes this.
  13. MindfreakBS
    Gingerbread Nov 13, 2019

MindfreakBS , Nov 13, 2019 :
    "Waterproof" means waterproof. There is no time limit for a waterproof object. Something can't be waterproof for 30 mins and then suddenly not be waterproof. On the other hand water resistance is a resistance, i.e, it will resist water for a certain period of time, after which water may or may not seep in. That is the theoretical difference in the two terms. In practicality, yes you do have a point that as long as the water doesn't seep in it has been waterproof upto that point. But still water resistance is the term used in the industry so that people can't blame OEMs when their devices go bad due to water seepage.

Now to answer OP's question, YES your phone is water resistant upto a limit but there is no certification for it and OnePlus has never officially announced it. So put your phone in water at your own risk. You will not be liable to any sort of warranty.

Kethrildur, harshit.b and MosheG1 like this.
  14. Liehjan
    Lollipop Nov 13, 2019

Liehjan , Nov 13, 2019 :
    No hard feelings, all good!

MosheG1 likes this.
  15. MosheG1

to be honest I knew all that, but when people ask for waterproof they mean water resistant but just don't realize that the term isn't waterproof by smartphones, and so I respond by saying waterproof because that is what they will understand even if I know that is not the correct term. but it's good to know that there are others like you who do understand the difference!

MindfreakBS likes this.
  16. SATHYAGIREESWARA
    Cupcake Nov 13, 2019

SATHYAGIREESWARA , via OnePlus 7 , Nov 13, 2019 :
    actually my one plus 7 got dropped into the bucket full of water.

and after 1 mins I saw then took it out and clean the water on the phone
    but it's still working as before.

that's why am wondering how it is possible

MosheG1 likes this.
  17. Matt 80
    Lollipop Nov 13, 2019

Matt 80 , Nov 13, 2019 :
    Nope.

Water resistance means something is able to resist water ingress for a certain amount of time under certain conditions.

Waterproof means something is impervious to water ingress.

18. guanyu210379
    Jelly Bean Nov 13, 2019

guanyu210379 , Nov 13, 2019 :
    Water resistance or how good the device can survive water are classified as follows (using IP rating certification):
    (We are only taking a good look at the water part and not the dust part. For this we consider only the second number from the usual IP description e.g. IP68...the 8 here is for the moisture or water):
    0. No protection.
    1. Protection against vertically falling droplets, such as condensation. ensuring that no damage or interrupted functioning of components will be incurred when an item is upright.
    2. Protection against water droplets deflected up to 15° from vertical
    3. Protected against spray up to 60° from vertical.
    4. Protected against water splashes from all directions. Tested for a minimum of 10 minutes with an oscillating spray (limited ingress permitted with no harmful effects).
    5. Protection against low-pressure jets (6.3 mm) of directed water from any angle (limited ingress permitted with no harmful effects).
    6. Protection against direct high pressure jets.
    7. Protection against full immersion for up to 30 minutes at depths between 15 cm and 1 meter (limited ingress permitted with no harmful effects).
    8. Protection against extended immersion under higher pressure (i.e. greater depths). Precise parameters of this test will be set and advertised by the manufacturer and may include additional factors such as temperature fluctuations and flow rates, depending on equipment type.
    9. (K): Protection against high-pressure, high-temperature jet sprays, wash-downs or steam-cleaning procedures - this rating is most often seen in specific road vehicle applications (standard ISO 20653:2013 Road Vehicles - Degrees of protection).
    Note:
    The IP rating certification is only for almost pure sweet water. This is what I understood so far. Sea water? just forget this.

For consumer electronics, you should expect usually to see only up to number 8. There is no 100% water resistance consumer electronic devices a.k.a. 100% waterproof.

Oneplus has chosen not to do the IP rating certification (you have to pay for this) but it does not mean that the phones are not water resistant at all. The phone should still survive to certain extend of water disturbances. Yes, there should be still some protection against water....but I would not test this on my phone.

About warranty, if you water damage your phone, no warranty from any phone brands will cover this even if they have already actual IP ratings. This is what I understood so far.

Water resistance protection will deteriorate over time and can be easily damaged even due to daily usecases. I would still be very careful with the phone no matter what.
    Heat, UV-light, aggresive liquids, small bends, scratches, age, etc. will affect water resistance capability.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019

19. ssagheer

ssagheer , Nov 13, 2019 :
    OnePlus phones are water resistant but aren't certified. So, yes they will resist water when dropped into a bucket, but one shouldn't do so intentionally.

20. pablofg1978
    Spanish POC Assistant Head Moderator Nov 13, 2019

pablofg1978 , Nov 13, 2019 :
    Indeed
    This question was replied many times before.
    The answer is no, is not waterproof.
    Redundant thread closed

Dresa91 likes this.