[Closed] Oneplus 3 Broken SCREEN!!!

1. Professorchaos1
    Honeycomb Jul 26, 2016

Professorchaos1 , Jul 26, 2016 :
    I really feel bad for Mods and Admins and Carl. You sir, need a lesson in how things work.

Please tell me if a car or motorcycle hit you while driving less than 10km/h if your body would be injured/bones broken?

Maybe it's winter and you have a thick jacket on and construction boots. Tell me if it hurts still.

If you think it's poor quality, then spend Rs 50k for Samsung S7. or Rs 70k for iPhone 6S Plus. Simple. Bye troll.

Hedrush and MarkusRanz like this.
  2. Professorchaos1
    Honeycomb Jul 26, 2016

Yes of these users don't understand basic physics. A phone like HTC One M7/M8/M9 or ZTE Axon 7 will have less cracked screens because
    1. The top and bottom are protected by aluminum edges so the glass doesn't extend edge-to-edge
    2. 2.5D rounded glass makes the glass bulge out from the display where it meets the aluminum side and if it hits on impact your screen is shattered. Looks good but delicate. Ask any iPhone 6 user. Go in to any phone shop and ask them how many iPhones they repair each day...
    3. Surface area. 5.5" full glass display is larger than most screens out there. More surface area potentially exposed to damage than phones that had smaller screens.

People seem to make this a unique issue with OP3 but it's not. It's the way phones are made these days.

3. pumpkin_eater
    Cupcake Jul 26, 2016

pumpkin_eater , Jul 26, 2016 :
    Yes. As a potential buyer of the OP3 I was first alerted by this thread, but I now understand the issue is rather a design-specific problem than a model-specific one. My question then, what protection does this call for. Yes, one can go for an Otterbox which protects at the price of being ugly (to me, at least).

But would the slim leather cases from OnePlus be enough to protect when the phone falls to the ground?

4. Professorchaos1
    Honeycomb Jul 26, 2016

Yes it's a design issue and not exactly specific to OnePlus, all manufacturers are guilty of taking design over durability...otherwise we would all still be using the Nokia 3310 or BlackBerry 9000.

Personally, I would go with something that wraps around the edges as phones will usually fall and crack on the corners first (and then shatter the entire screen.) My favourite at this point would be the Spigen Rugged Armor. It strikes a good balance between a tough functional case and not being really ugly like an Otterbox.

Right now I'm using a cheap $0.99 hard shell from eBay and I don't know how well it protects the screen in case of any fall but it fits really snug. When the Rugged Armor arrives I will probably use that as my daily case.

5. pumpkin_eater
    Cupcake Jul 26, 2016

pumpkin_eater , Jul 26, 2016 :
    Thanks for the tip!

6. G_Chris_Millard_neKx
    Cupcake Jul 28, 2016

G_Chris_Millard_neKx , Jul 28, 2016 :
    Sent my phone off on the 18th and just logged in to check the progress and my screen repair has been delayed due to missing spare parts.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? Does it take them days to source these missing parts normally?

7. emplify
    Froyo Jul 28, 2016

emplify , Jul 28, 2016 :
    Unlucky timing, sent mine in 17th and it's in delivery back to me now. :oops:

8. MarkusRanz
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 28, 2016

MarkusRanz , Jul 28, 2016 :
    Anything new from the diy point off view?
    Has anyone changed the display himself? Are spare parts prices dropping?

9. G_Chris_Millard_neKx
    Cupcake Jul 28, 2016

G_Chris_Millard_neKx , Jul 28, 2016 :
    That's frustrating! I was hoping to have it back by the weekend but that wont be happening now.

10. emplify
    Froyo Jul 28, 2016

emplify , Jul 28, 2016 :
    I feel you. :( It took UPS around 16 hours to ship my phone to the repair centre, but they seem to be using the slowest shipping method for returning it..

The phone was shipped from Arvato on 26.7, and I don't think it'll get here before monday. :eek:o_O

11. v_2
    Eclair Jul 29, 2016

v_2 , Jul 29, 2016 :
    Finally got my phone back (they have done an excellent job).

Though UPS is really horrible, they charge 13£ for COD (collect on delivery) which is for handling the repair fee payment (this 13£ is passed on to the consumer). OP could have easily taken the payment and saved the 13£.
    Moreover UPS provides a delivery date and they never turned up (I was sitting at home the whole day)
    By the end of the day I informed UPS to keep the item at their warehouse since I would come and collect it, when I reached the warehouse the next day it took then 30min to try and locate the package, but they couldnt, they came to the conclusion that the delivery driver didnt see the "hold at warehouse" note and he took the package for delivery - Really horrible delivery service.

12. emplify
    Froyo Jul 29, 2016

emplify , Jul 29, 2016 :
    Whaat? :eek:
    I've got just the right amount of cash on me right now for the repairs. Can anyone else confirm they had to pay extra?

I find cash on delivery ridiculous in the year 2016! We have online payments and wireless card-payment options, but UPS use COD.. o_O:D

13. adm1adm
    Cupcake Aug 1, 2016

adm1adm , Aug 1, 2016 :
    Hi,

Just to confirm that I did not pay extra for UPS handling the COD - But the final price was more than the repair quote.

So...
    • it took approx 20 days from sending to receiving the repaired phone.
    • Was quoted £86.74 but the final price ended up being £87.35 (not sure why?)
    • I did not pay anything extra for UPS handling the COD.
    • They even gave me back my broken screen! o_O
    • New screen looks perfect and comes with screen protector already applied. Great repair job!
    • Phone was also factory reset.

Jeffrey_21 and Wahoux like this.
  14. dz3n
    Eclair Aug 1, 2016

dz3n , Aug 1, 2016 :
    There is a way to make insurance of my OP3 (it's already delivered)?

15. Wahoux
    Lollipop Aug 1, 2016

Wahoux , Aug 1, 2016 :

loooool
    Are you a baby? stop complaining, you dropped it, it's your fault. Stop blaming OnePlus whereas it's your fault....

16. emplify
    Froyo Aug 1, 2016

emplify , Aug 1, 2016 :
    I just got my phone back today, 14 days after sending it in. Repair cost was 106€.

But the fingerprint sensor isn't working anymore!! The button is completely dead.:mad::mad::mad::(:(:(

The phone was wrapped in bubble-wrap in this box when it arrived, luckily the new screen didn't shatter on the way home.
    13898713_1056724561080148_1720873221_o.jpg

At least I got my broken screen back..
    13898468_1056724694413468_1024539992_o.jpg

Edit:
    I removed the back cover to check for faulty cable connections. I re-attached the two bridges running over the battery and also the smaller connectors below the battery.

I booted up the device and the fingerprint sensor now works like a charm.

I am so relieved. :D:D

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016

17. bbwinston
    Cupcake Aug 1, 2016

bbwinston , Aug 1, 2016 :
    This is unreal. Honestly, I can't find the words. Very sorry for you, man.
    Just look at the ******* packet, they run it through a garden shredder ot what?!
    With horror I'm waiting my phone back from repair too.

18. creatti
    Froyo Aug 1, 2016

creatti , Aug 1, 2016 :
    Hi guys, how long did it last to get the quotation email? My order status has been "service centre awaits response regarding the estimate quotation created" since friday, but I havent received any email so I'm not able to answer them.. :mad:

19. emplify
    Froyo Aug 1, 2016

emplify , Aug 1, 2016 :
    Got the fingerprint sensor working now. Opened the phone and re-attached some cables. :D

Funnily enough Arvato packed the broken screen in a separate box that had additional bubblewrap, while the repaired device had 2 layers of bubblewrap and a rubber band around it.

About 24hrs for the quotation email to arrive, and 6hrs for the status to change to "quotation responded" after I replied.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016

20. Hedrush
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 1, 2016

Hedrush , Aug 1, 2016 :

Lol behave yourself. I bought my wife an iPhone 6 plus for her birthday, she had it a week and dropped it on a tiled floor at work and the screen shattered. My daughter dropped her iPhone 5s that many times the home button fell out and the screen had broken off at one of the corners you could see the phones motherboard. Was any of that Apples fault? No, it was due to clumsiness.

Oh and companies just can't lie to the public, that's just a ridiculous statement.

emplify likes this.