[CLOSED]OnePlus 9 vs Nord 2...A Buyer Asks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gino Guillermo
    Gingerbread Oct 17, 2021

Gino Guillermo , Oct 17, 2021 :
    Hi All. I'm choosing between getting the OnePlus 9 or the Nord 2.

Is the OnePlus 9 splashproof? i.e. safe for accidental spills or light rain.

Does both phones have Dolby Atmos support?

Which phone produces a more accurate, true-to-life colours in terms of skin tones, sceneries and white balance?

Does having no OIS makes the 9 inferior in low light, dynamic range or moving subjects?

Which device has a faster autofocus on the main camera and near lossless zoom (be it digital or optical or hybrid)?

Which device has a processor that is well-balance in performance and less hot which equates to a better battery life overall?

Please advice.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021

2. Nipu_1998
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus Nord 2 Oct 17, 2021

Best Answer
    Nipu_1998 , via OnePlus Community App , Oct 17, 2021 :
    Hi,
    I don't have experience with the OnePlus 9, but can answer some of the queries regarding the OnePlus Nord 2.

- The OnePlus 9 and Nord 2 both misses an official IP68 rating but, both devices have basic splash protection and rubber gaskets and seals to keep the device safe from accidental spills.
    So, if you get any of the two, be careful with water damage.

- The OnePlus 9 has Dolby Atmos support, meanwhile the Nord 2 has the Dirac audio tuning.
    (the Nord lineup don't get Dolby support and OnePlus has reserved it for the premium segment)

- Comparing the OnePlus 9 pro and the OnePlus Nord 2, i felt that the Nord 2 was slightly more color accurate , but the OnePlus was ahead in terms of the HDR performance, noise reduction and detail retention.

The lack of OIS in the 9 must be something to worry about if you are considering shooting a lot on low light conditions and also if you have a shaky hand.
    The Nord 2's main camera is a capable shooter and can compete with the OnePlus 9 in all aspects.
    But, the Nord falls behind in terms of the UW camera.The OnePlus 9 has one of the best UW camera in the market and is miles ahead compared to the 8mp shooter on Nord 2.

- The Nord 2 has good autofocus system, but occasionally it misses to hold focus ( rarely)

- The Nord 2 gave me consistently 6-7+ hours of SOT on a dual sim LTE network with some amount of casual gaming, youtube and other casual use.
    The mediatek 1200 strikes a balance between power and battery life.

3. Gino Guillermo
    Gingerbread Oct 17, 2021

Gino Guillermo , Oct 17, 2021 :
    Thank You for the near comprehensive insights on the two phones.

In the past few years I noticed that my daily tasks on using a phone has not almost changed, the number of apps I'm using has not really changed as well, I have deleted my social media apps and the most that can drain my battery would be listening to podcasts, watching Youtube at home, Location & GPS turned on but only for weather and Google Maps, scanning documents, signing documents or connecting to a bluetooth speakers. That's it i think.

I do take photos and videos (more photos whilst in the UK) or some videos if on a holiday (whenever that may be).

For me Dolby Atmos is a must on a phone. But i'm concerned battery life may not be up to par vs the Nord 2 (as shown on GSMArena) probably because of the SoC heating and the lack of OIS may be a big deal even though i don't take too much in low light or in a moving train or a moving subject. And i can always stabilise any videos via Google Photos.

4. camohan
    Assistant Head Moderator Assistant Head Moderator Oct 24, 2021

camohan , Oct 24, 2021 :
    In lines with my explanation in the earlier thread, I am closing this one.

The explanation is below for your ready reference