[CLOSED]Oneplus, please not another breach of our trust!?!? (Clipboard App in Beta)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthOps Eclair Jan 26, 2018

DarthOps, Jan 26, 2018 :
    OnePlus can you please explain this?

https://twitter.com/fs0c131y/status/956628910308982785

If this turns out to be true I'm getting rid of this phone

EDIT: If you want to disable the Clipboard app, you can do the following:
    1) Open Settings and go to Apps
    2) Go to Application List
    3) Click 3 dots in right hand corner and select "Show System Apps"
    4) Look for the Clipboard app and disable it

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018

2. David Y. Community Manager Staff Member Jan 27, 2018

Stickied Post
    David Y., Jan 27, 2018 :
    Hi mate, here is the conclusion after we confirmed with our product and development team.

"There’s been a false claim that the Clipboard app has been sending user data to a server. The code is entirely inactive in the open beta for OxygenOS , our global operating system. No user data is being sent to any server without consent in OxygenOS.

In the open beta for HydrogenOS, our operating system for the China market, the identified folder exists in order to filter out what data to not upload. Local data in this folder is skipped over and not sent to any server.
    "

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Have a nice weekend.
    David

3. MJ_Vikram KitKat Jan 26, 2018

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018

4. SurajLoharia Jelly Bean Jan 26, 2018

AHUNDREDENGINEERS likes this.
  5. DarthOps Eclair Jan 26, 2018

DarthOps, Jan 26, 2018 :
    It looks like the security researcher is saying that data is being harvested by the clipboard app and sent to a Chinese company called TeddyMobile. More worryingly it looks like the code can specifically identify bank account numbers according to the researcher....

Sion202, DekmenCZ, niklas389 and 9 others like this.
  6. GopalB. Marshmallow Jan 26, 2018

otto2, Anhat Singh, malidan and 3 others like this.
  7. Themurtuza Jelly Bean Jan 26, 2018

Themurtuza, Jan 26, 2018 :
    Clipboard is their new app in beta builds,
    It will work like samsung clipboard feature or many other clipboard app where u can see & access your all recently copied items, unlike last copied item in recent version of OOS.

8. stephenboyo KitKat Jan 26, 2018

stephenboyo, Jan 26, 2018 :
    Well after the stolen credit card debacle I completely switched off from OP. I don't understand why people keep throwing their hard earned coins at this company, when it is obvious that your data is being mined by certain Chinese institutions for all kinds of purposes via embedded codes in the OP software. But I guess people are carried away by OP's sleek marketing especially of its subpar quality OP5/5T, regardless of chipping paintwork, poor software implementation, hacked software and poor camera quality. What else can you ask for???!

9. Themurtuza Jelly Bean Jan 26, 2018

If its true then indeed its a serious thing, why OnePlus is not earning enough by selling all those different 5T modal that it really have to resort to selling our data by this means??
    If its true than its really really pathetic & i am done with OnePlus.
    Clipboard may contain of my bank details & credit card details also as at some or other point i will copy those data also, its scary those details being sent to some remote Chinese company
    I very much wish its not true

10. MJ_Vikram KitKat Jan 26, 2018

MJ_Vikram, Jan 26, 2018 :
    Thanks for replying.. any idea how to disable clipboard as I am not able to find it in apps I am on beta 4.

Sion202 likes this.
  11. h1453116 Donut Jan 26, 2018

12. Themurtuza Jelly Bean Jan 26, 2018

I am not on beta, so no idea.
    But go to settings, app, application list. From there try to find this app, n if its there disable it.

13. DarthOps Eclair Jan 26, 2018

DarthOps, Jan 26, 2018 :
    You have to click on the 3 dots in the right hand corner in the application list and select "Show System Apps" and from there you can find it and disable it. Btw my app was using 50Mb of storage space?!?!

Sion202, Themurtuza and MJ_Vikram like this.
  14. Themurtuza Jelly Bean Jan 26, 2018

15. Themurtuza Jelly Bean Jan 26, 2018

Its interesting, can u plz check, N lwt me know how much data usage it has by going into data usage.

Xeny likes this.
  16. Xeny Honeycomb Jan 26, 2018

Xeny, Jan 26, 2018 :
    It doesn't look like the app used data for me.
    While it is concerning, the gathering may not be active for now.

Themurtuza likes this.
  17. Themurtuza Jelly Bean Jan 26, 2018

Thats relaxing. But why such fishy code is there in first place

h_kashyap likes this.
  18. DarthOps Eclair Jan 26, 2018

DarthOps, Jan 26, 2018 :
    It says No Data Usage which is obviously a good thing (assuming wiping storage space didn't do something to it) but of course even if the code is currently dormant then I'm not entirely convinced it's not going to be "accidentally" activated at some point

I mean don't get me wrong, I don't want this to be true but I've already had to request a new credit card this week after the security breach and we've all seen the previous privacy issues that OnePlus has had recently so my trust in them is at an all time low!

19. Themurtuza Jelly Bean Jan 26, 2018

Exactly my concerns.
    Why code is there in first place?

20. idkwhoiam322 Marshmallow Jan 26, 2018

idkwhoiam322, Jan 26, 2018 :
    Indeed this is very interesting (in a bad way), I hope it's not anything bad, but we need a proper explanation for this.

21. izzykasha KitKat Jan 26, 2018

izzykasha, Jan 26, 2018 :
    this might be a case of outsourcing code, ok teddy mobile you create the code for us and we just put it in the build, no checking. Cheap software changes

I would be interested if this is just beta builds or everyone

Impulse_CK likes this.