[CLOSED] OxygenOS: Does OnePlus Even Care?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jswarts
    Gingerbread Aug 7, 2015

jswarts , Aug 7, 2015 :
    Hello everyone! I realize that this isn't the most cheerful thread ever, however, it brings up some very real issues regarding OnePlus and OxygenOS.

The first and foremost being the lack of communication. The team behind OxygenOS has made no effort what-so-ever to communicate with their users. Never once have they asked for user input regarding possible new features.

That also brings me to the point where they're not even discussing the development of OxygenOS! They might claim it's due to the launch of the Two - this, however seems like a false excuse, it should be their priority to work on the device that's being sold right now!

OnePlus, your customers deserve to be kept in the loop! You're not communicating at all and even when you do communicate, it's about the Two!

How do you expect to support two devices, if you cannot even properly support one!?

That brings me to my final, and possibly most important issue. The stagefright exploit. OnePlus has not released any official statement on it, they have made no efforts to release a patch while the users are still at risk!

Which brings me to my question, does OnePlus even care about their users? It seems to me like they're only interested in luring potential customers.

What are your takes on this? How do you feel about the lack of communication from OnePlus' side?

2. Rick Manders
    KitKat Community Expert Aug 7, 2015

Rick Manders , Aug 7, 2015 :
    They don't have to keep you informed about current statuses. Do you see any other phone company do that?

3. yetiweston
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 7, 2015

yetiweston , Aug 7, 2015 :
    There have already been numerous posts about this, once the OP2 has been released they will be working on an updated version of Oxygen of the OPO. This was clearly communicated on the forums

4. dnle71
    Gingerbread Aug 7, 2015

dnle71 , Aug 7, 2015 :
    But the question is, will the stagefright exploit patch be release soon or it will come once the OxygenOS 2.0.0 is release?

Kapitan Nemo likes this.
  5. freedompie
    Gingerbread Aug 7, 2015

freedompie , Aug 7, 2015 :
    I thought Oneplus wanted to differentiate themselves from other phone companies by offering more updates to their users. This is just disappointing how oneplus is handling updates for the OPO and I'm going to assume that android M will not be available officially from Oneplus or Cyanogen.

6. abechung

abechung , Aug 7, 2015 :
    Solution: OnePlus was always created with the idea of user freedom. Cyanogenmod (at the time of their healthy relationship) was about customizability.

Flash another ROM that has addressed the stagefright issue. And if you say that I don't flash etc...blah blah, you're in the wrong phone market. Nexus of Apple (pure stock OS) is better suited for you.

kiran.sampathnr likes this.
  7. B4kken
    Lollipop Aug 7, 2015

B4kken , Aug 7, 2015 :
    They've been honest though. OxygenOS wasn't planned to be released for the opo as early as it was. They made a version available when shit hit the fan with Cyanogen.

It was supposed to be the OS for the 2 and that will be the focus until it's released, then the One will get an update. Of course that's their focus right now.
    Plus the fact that he/she probably flashed Oxygen at some point so.. There's that ;)

8. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Community Expert Aug 7, 2015

dsmonteiro , Aug 7, 2015 :
    First and foremost, the official OS for the OnePlus One is the CyanogenOS. That OS is getting updates, with a new one being expected this month.

Now, as for the rest:
    • Lack of communication: False. See here and here for examples.
    • Discussing the development: No one does this. Not even Cyanogen. Development teams make their software according to their beliefs, not what the users tell them.
    • Launch of the two being an excuse: Again, false. OxygenOS was always meant to be released first for the OP2, not the OPO. The reason why it was rushed for the OPO, was due to the India/Micromax issues. With that settled, the team focused their attentions in what matters the most: OP2
    • Communication about development has nothing to do with support.
    • Most companies still haven't release a stagefright update for their phones. Every software update needs to be certified, and certification takes time.
    • I repeat, OxygenOS is not the official OS. It's a "custom OS" (term used ver loosely) for people that are comfortable with flashing new OSes. You can always revert back to CyanogenOS or choose another completely different ROM.

9. jswarts
    Gingerbread Aug 7, 2015

jswarts , Aug 7, 2015 :
    We'll see how you feel about this after they screw up with the OPT.

10. dsmonteiro

Your argumentation is bullet-proof.

11. DustinDep

DustinDep , Aug 7, 2015 :
    Get em!

12. jswarts
    Gingerbread Aug 7, 2015

jswarts , Aug 7, 2015 :
    Oh, I wasn't stating a fact there, I was simply stating my opinion. I feel they'll screw up massively.

13. Rick Manders
    KitKat Community Expert Aug 7, 2015

Rick Manders , Aug 7, 2015 :
    They never stated they would do that. As for Android M; Oxygen will surely get it. CyanogenOS remains to be seen.

14. dsmonteiro

It's your right to have that opinion.

But the truth is that most of the OxygenOS team is composed by ex-Paranoid Android developers, one of the most talented teams in the Custom ROM scene. Not only that, but @Helen worked to years at Microsoft as Product Manager after being a Software engineer there, so the team has experience.

yetiweston, superplus, Sera69 and 5 others like this.
  15. zongyi_e
    Cupcake Aug 7, 2015

zongyi_e , Aug 7, 2015 :
    well, many other phone companies release the update to all the device at the same time. I guess oneplus has very limited resources.

16. Cool-Nerd
    Jelly Bean Aug 7, 2015

Cool-Nerd , Aug 7, 2015 :
    Mate does Microsoft inform you of anything or ask your valid input? NO! does Apple ask you or anyone for that matter for an opinion or input? NO! Did Windows 10 dev team call you three weeks before launch asking you for your incredibly valid input NO!

Im not being a douche man Im Trying to point out to you that you are starting to be a typical Fanboy and take ownership of a company you have no ownership in.

I agree with you they should get their crap right on one phone before providing it on 2. OnePlus products in my experience with the One has been a joke with CM being pathetic which is one amongst many things that have put me off OnePlus products til I know they have it right.

But seriously man stop being delusional, no one owes you anything, nor do they need to consult anyone but their dev team. when they release an OS all they effing need to do is freaking get it right!! o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

17. brittonraya
    Lollipop Aug 7, 2015

18. jswarts
    Gingerbread Aug 7, 2015

jswarts , Aug 7, 2015 :
    Oh, believe me, I'm in no way a OnePlus fanboy. I suggest you read up before making empty claims, hello Insider program?

19. abechung

abechung , Aug 7, 2015 :
    LOL, when you say "False," it reminds me of:

[​IMG]

Rick Manders and dsmonteiro like this.
  20. ahighfield
    KitKat Aug 7, 2015

ahighfield , Aug 7, 2015 :
    Um, communication never been an OP strong point, so you can immediately lower your expectations there...e.g. "soon" and "never" could mean exactly the same thing.

Hydrogen OS will get updated every Friday I was told based on user feedback. Oxygen likely a different schedule, assume it will be more tied to the Google Android development cycle. I an personally doubtful COS will get any more updates after the coming 12.1 release (my speculation)...I'll hopefully be pleasantly surprised.

TL;DR keep your expectations appropriately low, and OP will become the best phone company ever!

Cool-Nerd likes this.