[CLOSED] [Poll of the week] Dark Mode vs Light Mode

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starcommander
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9RT 5G Writers' Club May 20, 2022

Starcommander , May 20, 2022 :
    (Poll of the Week is a new series hosted by the Writers' Club that aims to kickstart interesting discussions by asking simple questions.)

DarkModeLightModeCosmicPaladin.png
    (banner by @CosmicPaladin)

Remember the days when we installed custom themes on our feature phones? Nokia and Samsung had a huge collection of such themes and they were once a key selling point. While they were fun to use, the absence of custom themes wasn't a deal-breaker back then. However, things changed with the introduction of System-wide dark/light mode.

gsmarena_s031.jpg gsmarena_s030.jpg
    Credits: GSMArena

The idea behind the system-wide light/dark mode was to have a consistent theme in all the apps. Microsoft introduced the dark mode in the Windows 10 Anniversary Update of 2016. In September 2019, iOS 13 and Android 10 both added support for dark modes. Since then, the majority of apps on multiple platforms have added support for system-wide themes. The introduction of this feature stirred up a debate in the tech community. While some preferred the light mode, many preferred to be on the dark side.

While both had their own advantages, the technical advantage was in the favour of dark mode. With the introduction of OLED and AMOLED displays, the dark mode proved to be a more power-efficient option. It also helped reduce eye strain in a dark environment.

On the other hand, reading a text using light mode felt more natural. The light mode also offered better visibility under bright sunlight. Judging the advantages and disadvantages of the modes, it's hard to conclude which one is better. So, today, I am inviting you to share your opinion about which mode you prefer. Light or Dark? Please vote in the link below.

I recently got a new phone and after setting it up, I couldn't use it with light mode for more than an hour. I am so used to the dark mode that it feels weird looking at a screen with the light mode turned on. I don't think I will ever be able to go back to light mode. However, there are instances wherein I turn on the light mode.

One such instance, for example, was while writing this thread. While the dark mode is a gift from heaven, there are instances wherein it fails to please my eyes. I am curious to see the results of the poll. If you have any other preferences, do let me know in the comments. Thanks for reading. :)

2. dsmonteiro
    OnePlus Community Team Staff Member May 20, 2022

Stickied Post

3. Cheetosdust
    Community Consultant Staff Member Writers' Club May 20, 2022

Cheetosdust , May 20, 2022 :
    Dark Mode, Dark Mode everything. :cool:

(I am also curious to know how the poll is going to evolve. ;))

4. AAA_Freddo_Addle
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 20, 2022

5. Vesko G.
    Gingerbread May 20, 2022

Vesko G. , May 20, 2022 :
    I am used to light mode, if I change it to the dark, I will need some time getting used to. So for the time being, I'll stick with the light.

6. BetiK
    KitKat May 20, 2022

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 20, 2022

7. BetiK
    KitKat May 20, 2022

8. Abdul Basith2
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 20, 2022

9. Shailender Sharma
    Nougat May 20, 2022

saaketh007, atenaa, Bobbie63 and 2 others like this.
  11. AmolBokil
    Donut May 20, 2022

12. Cheetosdust

But do you have that scheduled or do you change it manually?

13. BetiK
    KitKat May 20, 2022

atenaa likes this.
  14. Shivsdevil
    Eclair May 20, 2022

atenaa, Starcommander and BetiK like this.

atenaa, Starcommander and BetiK like this.
  16. H1618586677558
    Cupcake May 20, 2022

atenaa and BetiK like this.
  17. F1609246300412
    Cupcake May 20, 2022

18. Cheetosdust

Awesome people, it's great that you have a preference, but please include why you like dark or light mode in your comments. Let's try and have a good conversation instead of a series of replies with just one or two words. ;)

19. Shailender Sharma
    Nougat May 20, 2022

2Retro and atenaa like this.