[closed]Poor Camera on OnePlus 7T

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G_Mohammed_Shahid_Nawaz_
    Froyo Dec 8, 2019

G_Mohammed_Shahid_Nawaz_ , Dec 8, 2019 :
    It's been 2 weeks, that I have been started living with OnePlus 7T which I exchanged for my work horse OnePlus 5. I see the reason I opted for 7T is for Camera and optics that OnePlus promises, but the end results is as worse as any phones with low budget mobile cameras. the pictures just are not as punchy or crisp as one would expect.
    The focus point alone is clear whereas the picture gets to loose it's clarity towards the edges, and all around.

I believe every OnePlus 7T owner would have felt the same. sharing sample pics here for understanding the flaw.

you can see from these pictures, that it softens the skin texture and also on the corners of the picture.

All pictures have been taken without any settings or even Pro Mode
    1575795008612.jpg

1575795008743.jpg

2. abderleboss
    Cupcake Dec 8, 2019

3. vikasmauryalive
    Donut Dec 8, 2019

4. Horsault
    Marshmallow Moderator Dec 8, 2019

Horsault , Dec 8, 2019 :
    Instead of copy-pasting the same message in several threads, it'd more interactive to post pics with details about settings and the mode you used and explaning why the pic is bad according to you.
    Unless you just want to rant, of course.

5. vikasmauryalive
    Donut Dec 8, 2019

vikasmauryalive , via OnePlus 7T , Dec 8, 2019 :
    Who are you? If I have a bad camera on a phone for which I have paid 37K, I will complain. There is nothing wrong about it. I am not an expert on camera settings, so I click on auto mode. Pictures are consistently bad and oneplus should do something about it. would appreciate if you mind your own business instead of advising me on what to write and what not to.

6. G_Mohammed_Shahid_Nawaz_
    Froyo Dec 8, 2019

7. G_Mohammed_Shahid_Nawaz_
    Froyo Dec 8, 2019

Sure I won't going further, thanks for reminding. but this pic is not even clear, when you see for fingerprint. just zoom in a little and check.

8. Horsault

Horsault , via OnePlus 7T Pro , Dec 8, 2019 :
    It seems you didn't really catch what a public forum is.
    If you don't want answers or don't stand advices which will allow people understand your claim and maybe help you, maybe it's not the right place to post.

otto2 and A1573386162497 like this.
  9. Horsault

Horsault , via OnePlus 7T Pro , Dec 8, 2019 :
    If you're shooting in pro mode, the jpeg you get is just a control image.
    Pro mode is intented to produce RAW images that you'll develop yourself using your own filters and settings.
    Please note that in Pro mode you'll get full sensor image, for digital cropping is inactive.
    The other use of Pro mode is to allow you to play with settings, such as exposure or sensibility, and results can be far from optimal, for instance a too long exposure will burn the pics.
    To be short, Pro mode is only to be used if you want to use your device as an expert camera, or to develop them by yourself.

In Auto mode, sometimes there's too much jpeg artifact, and in the past people noted some kind of watercolor effect, because Oneplus applied a too much aggressive post-treatment.

I suggest you try to perfectly clean your lenses to be sure there's no grease on the glass.
    Then don't hesitate to tap where you want to focus.

Of course, when viewing your pics, you shouldn't zoom more than 100%, as interpolation will blurr images.

otto2 likes this.
  10. G_Mohammed_Shahid_Nawaz_
    Froyo Dec 8, 2019

I think you got completely wrong, about everything that I explained. I am showing an example of simple shot in the pics. I am well aware of PRO mode, and have been using it since the days of OnePlus 5 (Check my IG profile @shahidnawaz285, to better understand.),As I said my phone is a new one, and I don't have any smudge or any dirt on the lens.
    let me tell you again, this pic is not of a PRO mode shots, and neither a RAW format. this is a straight forward shot , wherein you see the watermark saying "shot on OnePlus". in PRO (RAW) mode you don't get to see the watermark. try it for yourself.

Neither did I zoom on any subject to shoot. it's just a plain shot.
    If you are saying OnePlus has done some corrections for some watercolour effect, then let me tell you, they have screwed up things for worse.
    It needs correction and it must be done at the earliest, rather than giving false suggestions, that wouldn't help.

Check this picture as well wherein the skin texture is completely lost like a smudge.

1575830562418.jpg

11. Niklasg85
    Honeycomb Dec 8, 2019

12. NahbiCris
    Jelly Bean Dec 8, 2019

NahbiCris , via OnePlus 7T , Dec 8, 2019 :
    learn photography basics, clean your lense before taking a shot, also "punchy" is not equally to quality any photographer will said to you that a real world color is better, so if you want punchy photos use Snapseed to edit it.
    View attachment 1195098

View attachment 1195097

"of course a Smartphone will never give same output as our eyes or some decent DSLR, manufacturers are using very complex software to get the way best out of the limited hardware. (Smaller Sensors with smaller pixel sizes, plastic lenses instead of glass lenses etc...) Looking at Oneplus camera team with around 10% manpower compared to their competitors they re surely not perfect, but no camera is perfect and will never be. A good photographer will know the weak points of his device. And He ll find some way to avoid them or, even better, to use them for his own creative composition. Up to the release of the OP 5 with a 1.8 Telephoto lens we had to Zoom digitally with not really good results. So we had to change the way of shooting pictures. Now we have a 3x telephoto lens in the OP7 /7 T PRO. Now i m changing again the way i shoot, to adopt my skills to the abilities of my device.
    Since i ve attended both open ears Forums camera i m in contact with the camera team and can tell you, that they re working hard, in almost every Update you ll find some changes, mostly not listed in change log, but visible for a good eye. Knowing the modes of your camera helps, too. Once you ve learned, how HDR works, you ll know when it s better to switch it off to get best results. Or you use the great pro mode, with raw output for getting way best out of your images.
    Point and shoot: Knowing basics (yes, the basics only) of photography will help a lot to get best results, as mentioned before. Hoping, that some software will Do the Job, is not a good idea. How will you ever get better, when some algorhytms will Do your Job?" @otto2

otto2 likes this.
  13. NahbiCris
    Jelly Bean Dec 8, 2019

NahbiCris , via OnePlus 7T , Dec 8, 2019 :
    oil painting? I made a thread about that: https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/camera-is-oil-painting-the-truth.827083/

14. Horsault

Horsault , Dec 8, 2019 :
    In fact, if I need to be more specific among the general advices I gave, all your pics show either a light source behind your subject, or an all clear environnement. No surprise your camera tries to balance colour and contrast between clearer and darker areas.
    Hence the advice to precisely tap on the area to focus on.
    This is normal camera behaviour. I think you should either choose better examples to prove your claims, or go back to photography basics.

NahbiCris likes this.
  15. G_Mohammed_Shahid_Nawaz_
    Froyo Dec 9, 2019

G_Mohammed_Shahid_Nawaz_ , Dec 9, 2019 :
    so you are saying that the below photograph is shot with backlit environment. nice!!!
    how far you guys can take this false claims, to sell your shitty product, without admitting to the problem and fixing it.
    View attachment 1199041
    If you say this picture is not having enough light, then you must know who needs to learn the basics of photography.
    Good luck convincing other OnePlus7t owners with your false facts.
    it's time to leave OnePlus brand for sure. thanks for your support. really helpful. I will update my photography basics by switching to something better rig.

16. G_Mohammed_Shahid_Nawaz_
    Froyo Dec 9, 2019

G_Mohammed_Shahid_Nawaz_ , Dec 9, 2019 :
    one must not change the way of shooting, when you are upgrading the entire system, but adapt. Talking about basics of photography, go check my pictures which I took with OnePlus5 (@shahidnawaz285), which is far crisp and clear than the OnePlus 7t, which struggles to capture the whole scene by softening every corner, If you want to pull me down from such great quality and give me a poor rig in the name of upgrade, and ask me to learn basics, then I think you know better who has to learn the basics, of camera optics.
    Instead of trying to convince people that they are poor photographers and not the rig. Try working and correcting the fault. Moreover I am not the only one who has the problem, so you must be addressing all the owners are having shitty photography skills or basics.
    Good luck convincing all. The system is a shitty performer and it is worse than any 10K worth phone.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B4Krb3BDmRQ/?igshid=fq3uiz6qfqy0
    learn your faults and accept and correct it, rather than try to convince others saying you need to learn photography skills

ElAnandKumar likes this.
  17. G_Mohammed_Shahid_Nawaz_
    Froyo Dec 9, 2019

18. G_Mohammed_Shahid_Nawaz_
    Froyo Dec 9, 2019

19. NahbiCris
    Jelly Bean Dec 9, 2019

NahbiCris , Dec 9, 2019 :
    it depends I could be necessary when the hardware is totally different for example a bigger sensor that combine pixels, so is necessary to learn again.

you photos are so manipulated that appear like a paint so much edition that ruins the photo. (that's my taste that change people by people) @Horsault said the truth read about photography the number one law is not to have the light source behind unless you want a silhouette.

poor performance?
    ok see this and if you can view the complete video he is a cinematographer.

also if is a problem with the phone why I don't have it and also the people that post in the photography section?

this are mine with the OnePlus 7T

this 3 has an All Star Award in Gurushots
    IMG_20191129_214109-01.jpeg
    IMG_20191208_215429_922.jpg
    IMG_20191208_215428_268.jpg
    if you don't know what is : https://gurushots.com/
    remember this photos are compressed as well that you post in Instagram etc

learn my faults? ok if I made a mistake a i will do that but that is not the case when you really learn about photography will saw the truth.
    I recommend you to read: Take Better Photos: Smartphone Photography for Noobs!", de Juan Carlos Bagnell.

http://a.co/i1h4ns0

"Once you get used to one manufacturer you'll have expectations for how ALL phone cameras "should" work. That's your personal bias. Bias isn't necessarily a bad thing, we can’t improve our skills if we're constantly re-learning where all the settings are on different gadgets. Bias becomes problematic though when we claim it's some kind of objective truth."

20. NahbiCris
    Jelly Bean Dec 9, 2019

NahbiCris , Dec 9, 2019 :
    Oil painting is made by the same thing is aboru how you process the raw images so if you talk about OnePlus 5, Nikon, Sony or any camera will have to do the same thing also if you edited by yourself from an raw image.