[CLOSED]qual respect and software support for all devices till they are eligible for software via OnePlus 6

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _Navroop_Singh_302 , via OnePlus 6 , Oct 17, 2020 :
    It's disappointing that the only phone brand that provides software support equally for all the devices for 5, even 6, years is Apple. For brands like Samsung, it's understandable that they can't provide equal software support for all their devices, because of the large array of device(models) they produce each year. On the other hand, OnePlus, which only released 5 devices this year, being the same as Apple, can easily provide good software support for each device. It's just a shame that they choose not to.

I'm not saying that every OnePlus device should have 5-6 years of software updates. I know that is too much considering most android phone companies provide only 2-3 years of software support.

I'm just asking that till the device is eligible for software update, in my case OnePlus 6, which is to receive it's last major android update i.e., Oxygen OS based on Android 11, it should get the software update along with the newest OnePlus devices, and not months after it.

C1602923042980 likes this.
  2. dikoscilator
    Gingerbread Oct 17, 2020

dikoscilator , via OnePlus 7 , Oct 17, 2020 :
    Do you know that a developer needs to configure the entire code according to your devices specs and also configure many things such as optimising andriod and other things to your specific device which means he/she needs to go through entire code and develop accordingly and Android has 13million or lines so developer has to go through it for every specific device and make changes or code separately as compare to apple apple is a proprietory company so they don't need to develop their software for each device they produce their chips motherboard and etc so they can provide the update to each device on the same day
    Sadly android phones are assembled by various company components and it is not possible to give uniform updates to each and every device on the same day
    Hope this clears it

kjjm likes this.
  3. _Navroop_Singh_302 , via OnePlus 6 , Oct 18, 2020 :
    Well all I'm saying is if Apple can do that with iOS for all their iPhones, I believe OnePlus can do it too. I get that Apple controls both the software and hardware of their phones and it might mean a step less for them, than OnePlus that runs its phones on Oxygen OS based on Android.

BUT, the biggest reason I went with OnePlus was was the software and not the hardware. There were other alternatives with the same hardware and cheaper, but I liked the Oxygen OS and had heard that OnePlus provided good software support, and that lured me in, and is the reason why I'm disappointed.

4. pablofg1978
    Nougat Head Moderator Oct 18, 2020

pablofg1978 , Oct 18, 2020 :
    Indeed
    Please read and use this thread for further discussion
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/software-update-excitement-thread.993639/unread
    Thread closed