[CLOSED] Refunded for OnePlus 7 Pro, but they won't return my trade-in voucher

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oatbae Donut Jul 18, 2019

oatbae, Jul 18, 2019 :
    I purchased a OnePlus 7 Pro, but decided to return it (not because of DOA or manufacture defect). I paid the $699 using a $100 trade-in voucher (for an old iPhone) + $599 charged to my credit card.

Now I have been refunded $599 on my credit card, but have received nothing for the trade-in voucher. I spoke with OnePlus chat support, and they said once I use the voucher I cannot be returned or issued a new one, so they are refusing to compensate me for the voucher.

I am not asking for a $100 refund on my credit card. I am asking to be issued another $100 voucher to compensate for my old phone that was traded in. Or theoretically for my iPhone to be returned to me.

The most frustrating parts of this are (1) it was OnePlus Support who suggested I ask for a refund rather than a replacement since I wanted a different color 7 Pro, and (2) I was not made aware by Support or anywhere on the website of this policy of not returning vouchers. I feel like I got screwed over and OnePlus just stole my iPhone.

Any help? Or am I just out of luck?

Edit: For clarity
    Edit 2: Contacted phone support and after initially saying the same thing as chat support, the lady put me on hold, consulted with someone on her team, and came back and said they'd return the voucher to my account. That was 2 days ago, and the voucher is not yet returned. I will keep editing this post if/when this is resolved. Thanks for the support all!

OP terms of use for vouchers literally says "If you cancel an order or request a refund, applied voucher codes will be returned to your account." So clearly OP support do not know their own policies.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019

2. Matt 80 Lollipop Jul 18, 2019

oatbae and davepatterson2611 like this.
  3. Koushik_Mondal Donut Jul 19, 2019

nickkuk, oatbae and davepatterson2611 like this.
  4. davepatterson2611 Jelly Bean Jul 19, 2019

davepatterson2611, Jul 19, 2019 :
    I'd c
    I'd certainly push for the return of the voucher I'm surprised they cannot just apply it to a new order for a different colour though. Seems pretty low, although from what I have seen from some people support can be hit or miss. Trust me though it's still better than it was in the start.

oatbae likes this.
  5. T1541473384698 Cupcake Jul 20, 2019

oatbae likes this.
  6. oatbae Donut Jul 20, 2019

oatbae, Jul 20, 2019 :
    Not yet. When I talked to OP chat support, they kept claiming vouchers cannot be returned. But their terms of use for vouchers literally says "If you cancel an order or request a refund, applied voucher codes will be returned to your account." So I called their telephone support, and initially they said the same thing as chat support, but then the lady put me on hold and came back and said they'd return the voucher to me. That was two days ago. I contacted them again and they said they escalated the issue, but still no resolution. I don't get why crediting the voucher back to my account isn't an automatic process. I'll come back and update this post if/when it gets resolved. Good luck with your situation!!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019

7. F_Yilin_Liu_upli Cupcake Jul 31, 2019

F_Yilin_Liu_upli, Jul 31, 2019 :
    hi, the customer service will give you a response, this is definitely our bad for not delivering a better service, we are upgrading the voucher feature in the near future to solve this problem.

oatbae likes this.
  8. pablofg1978 Spanish POC Assistant Head Moderator Jul 31, 2019

pablofg1978, Jul 31, 2019 :
    Did she told you how much time is required for the voucher to be returned to your account?
    Did you got the voucher eventually?

oatbae and The1Lion like this.
  9. The1Lion Lollipop Jul 31, 2019

The1Lion, Jul 31, 2019 :
    I was about to ask as well, been 10 days and this would be the 11th so seems like some time (unless it's already been resolved and this thread not updated).

oatbae likes this.
  10. oatbae Donut Jul 31, 2019

oatbae, Jul 31, 2019 :
    No, unfortunately, the voucher still has not been returned to my account. OnePlus said they'd return it, but that was like 2 weeks ago and still nothing.

The OnePlus agent wrote: "Your case was already raised to upper management and we are just waiting for their feedback. I apologize that I failed to send you update due to there is no update that I can relay as of the moment. I am kindly asking for your patience since this is a special case. Normally a used voucher cannot be reimburse anymore but since you were instructed to do other process we asked the management to reissue a new voucher for you."

I finally realized why I was hearing contradictory things from OnePlus. Their trade-in FAQ (https://www.oneplus.com/trade-in?from=ribbon#address/edit) says under the question "How to use vouchers" that "If a refund occurs, the voucher code value will be deducted from the refund. The voucher code cannot be used again."

BUT the Terms of Usage for Vouchers (located in your OnePlus account >> left hand panel "Vouchers / Gift Codes" >> "Terms of Usage" in the top-right >> bullet #2 says "If you cancel an order or request a refund, applied voucher codes will be returned to your account." It doesn't indicate any sort of exception for trade-in vouchers, so when I read it I thought the language used was all-inclusive.

OnePlus said my trade-in voucher is governed by the former policy and not the latter one. This would make sense except the trade-in voucher shows up right next to all my other vouchers/codes on the same "Vouchers / Gift Codes" page. I didn't think to look for the trade-in specific policy on the trade-in FAQ page and just assumed (logically in my mind) that the Terms of Usage for Vouchers would govern all vouchers that show up on my account. At best, the OnePlus policy on vouchers is highly confusing, and at worst, it's a bit deceptive.

The bottom line for me is that according to their policies, OnePlus wouldn't return my voucher, but since the original agent I spoke with suggested I do a refund instead of replacement since I wanted a different color OP7 Pro and didn't make me aware of this voucher policy, they will return it.

The1Lion likes this.
  11. oatbae Donut Jul 31, 2019

oatbae, Jul 31, 2019 :
    Thank you. It's been almost two weeks and no response yet. I emailed again on Monday, and no response either.

The customer service agent wrote: "Your case was already raised to upper management and we are just waiting for their feedback. I apologize that I failed to send you update due to there is no update that I can relay as of the moment. I am kindly asking for your patience since this is a special case. Normally a used voucher cannot be reimburse anymore but since you were instructed to do other process we asked the management to reissue a new voucher for you."

hotsauce likes this.
  12. oatbae Donut Jul 31, 2019

oatbae, Jul 31, 2019 :
    They have not responded or told me how long it will take. It's been like 2 weeks, and I'm still waiting. Please see my longer response above for details. Thank you for your concern!

13. pablofg1978 Spanish POC Assistant Head Moderator Jul 31, 2019

Best Answer
    pablofg1978, Jul 31, 2019 :
    Can you send me the ticket number that supports gave you? I will try to help you

The1Lion likes this.
  14. The1Lion Lollipop Jul 31, 2019

The1Lion, Jul 31, 2019 :
    I would think in cases where people have traded in a device, they should return the voucher (or money equivalent) to the consumer if a cancel/refund is issued. Otherwise you're basically giving your old phone to OnePlus for free.

nickkuk likes this.
  15. oatbae Donut Aug 1, 2019

oatbae, Aug 1, 2019 :
    My Case ID: 190718-004637. Thank you!

16. J1541105421558 Cupcake Aug 4, 2019

J1541105421558, Aug 4, 2019 :
    Ok so I'm having the same issue and they're not interested in escalating or anything. I'm going to organize and start a class action lawsuit.

nickkuk likes this.
  17. G_android_x14 Froyo Aug 4, 2019

G_android_x14, Aug 4, 2019 :
    I would think you would need more then 2 people affected for a class action, but i am not a lawyer

18. pablofg1978 Spanish POC Assistant Head Moderator Aug 5, 2019