[CLOSED] Screen broken, OP refuses warranty

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoT Frozen Froyo Dec 28, 2014

GoT Frozen, Dec 28, 2014 :
    Dear Everyone,

I am a European and bought the great OnePlus One in the beginning of october 2014. Until this Christmas lunch I was very happy with the phone:

1. When I tried to show my sister how great the phone was, she wanted to hold it and look at it. Then she placed it gently on the table and when I picked it up, a small part of the screen was broken and the digitizer stopped working. Still the LCD itself was working as "great" as before. Thus it seems like the screen was faulty.
    2. Another issue that I have is the infamous "yellow glow" on the bottom of the screen. When contacting OnePlus about it, David told me that it is "normal". Well, no matter what electronics store you'll walk in, they're all going to say that a yellow glow is not normal. Thus another issue and thus a faulty screen.
    So I mailed OnePlus to ask them if they could repair the screen. The only mails I recieved are from David and are "standard" emails (which they send to everyone), unfortunately. In these mails David tells me that the yellow glow it is more or less a "feature" and not a "bug". I am also told that there is only warranty within the first 14 days of recieving the phone. Still the European laws are clear:

Source: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/shopping/shopping-abroad/guarantees/index_en.htm

The European laws do also state:
    Which means that OnePlus has to take a look at it, at least.

Even David S. is clear about it in his post, which can be found here: https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/customer-support-warranty-repairs-replacements-rma.73823/
    So OnePlus, why am I not getting my screen replaced under warranty, but do I have to pay 50% of the original price of the phone (€150) to get it repaired?

To the customers: What would you do in such a case? I am desperate for help. Thank you. :)

Mikr.Crowder and 1049nolong like this.
  2. lnxpro Jelly Bean Dec 28, 2014

lnxpro, Dec 28, 2014 :
    so sorry for your phone, but I work in a wireless store and I know something about warranties( even Im not an ecyclopedia :D ) but man if you broke your screen even by accident its not a manufacturer defect, so its not covered under warranty, I will not defend One plus or you but I think the screen is good quality on my phone, hope you can get it fixed

Silverchaoz likes this.
  3. GoT Frozen Froyo Dec 28, 2014

GoT Frozen, Dec 28, 2014 :
    Thank you for your reply, but a screen in good (working as intended) condition will not break by putting the phone on the table, will it? It even had a flipcover as protection! Still the European laws may be differ from the American Laws. Especially if a product breaks within the first 6 months as can be seen below. A customer has to recieve a good product and it has to be good for the next 2 years. Of course, if a user throws it at the wall the product cannot be said to be "faulty". But if something breaks the screen which shouldn't break the screen, the screen is said to be faulty and should be repaired/replaced.

see:
    http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/shopping/shopping-abroad/guarantees/index_en.htm

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014

4. GoT Frozen Froyo Dec 30, 2014

GoT Frozen, Dec 30, 2014 :
    Update:
    Ling at OnePlus sent me that she dropped her phone multiple times from more than 1m height, and still she has no broken screen. Thus I told her once again that mine was put on a table and broke, thus being faulty.

For some reason she does not understand it and keeps on saying things like:
    What can I do?

5. DigitalAnarchy Jelly Bean Dec 30, 2014

DigitalAnarchy, Dec 30, 2014 :
    nothing, your word against oneplus, you either pay for repair or repair yourself, source screen and pay less

6. GoT Frozen Froyo Dec 31, 2014

GoT Frozen, Dec 31, 2014 :
    Thank you for your reply. Though the European rules state that I do not have to prove anything. Oneplus has to prove that their screen was not faulty. :(

7. DigitalAnarchy Jelly Bean Dec 31, 2014

DigitalAnarchy, Dec 31, 2014 :
    All i'm saying is they will say it's down to the owner for not looking after the phone and point to the terms of their warranty...will be hard to prove, good luck with it :)

8. imrational Gingerbread Dec 31, 2014

imrational, Dec 31, 2014 :
    Sorry you've gone thru all that. I remember buying a high-end bicycle for college, I hit a pothole and slammed on the breaks. The rear wheel lifted up and the frame's top-tube just crumpled underneath me like a wet noodle.

It was a big pothole and it was a panic stop, but any decent steel frame wouldn't suffer from that kind of damage. The tubing was obviously defective.

The company rejected my warranty claim. I probably should have taken it to small claims court, but I also realized the only way to prove to a court that it was defective versus me having caused the damage in a collision would be to bend that tubing while measuring the force needed and bending different but equivalent tubing and showing the difference between the two.

Unfortunately, sometimes there are defective parts which only become apparent after physical damage, ie gorilla glass. If your glass screen cracks with just mild finger pressure, then you have an easy case to prove. Otherwise, you're SOL.

Please keep in mind that OPO isn't using substandard parts here. If the glass failed, it's not because it's a cheap phone. They were equally screwed if their suppliers are sending them defective parts.

I'm sorry to say, I don't think you will get your warranty claim. Broken glass to most people sounds like physical damage and it's hard to tell the difference between defective glass and physical. I think the onus is on you to prove your glass was of lesser quality/defective; not OPO's to prove that it wasn't. Good luck though.​

9. Gomcse Cupcake Jan 4, 2015

Gomcse, Jan 4, 2015 :
    If OP can get their repairs and service to be anything like Apple, OP will dominate the market. If they keep doing THIS, then the service aspect will be their downfall. Keep your customers happy! Just replace the phone and let this customer go tell the world how wonderful OP is.

10. HJBALLIN Cupcake Mar 7, 2019

HJBALLIN, Mar 7, 2019 :
    In January I have reported a problem with my device where the screen of my device went blank. That is why have I decided to apply RMA. Upon all the instructions provided by customer service, I packed the phone (even to the original box for extra safety) and send it to your customer service center. The customer service center has replied on the 12th of February 12:26. They found a scratch on the display (provided with photo) and wanted my decision on what would be the proceeding in 5 DAYS. They informed me that if I don't make the decision in the next five days (which would be 17th of February) they will send the device back without repairing it. I have answered by email the same day about just one hour later (13:30) That this scratch could not have been attained by me because I have always used the screen protector and I have also used the phone case that I had bought from OnePlus. They were not replying for TWO WEEKS and after a long 14 days on 27th of February, they have finally sent me an email. Except the questionable English did the email include the information that the scratch is on inside of the display and declined my complaint. I have again answered. In my latest email, I have stated that internal scratch of display could not be achieved by me because I have never opened my device. An only possible option that I see is the possibility of a manufacturing defect which has not caused problems until recently(I had the problem with "blank screen" before but it always started working normally after a few seconds/minutes so I assumed that it was just a small system bug. But this time it was permanent). This email went unanswered and they have just sent my device back...
    In a nutshell, I have been a very satisfied customer until January. I loved my device and all the functions and speed it had provided. At the beginning i was patient but I lost my temper after few emails and failed promises. From 8/10 promised days of repairment was almost a month. Every promise made by customer service became unfulfilled...
    That's why I advise not buying the OnePlus devices.

11. pablofg1978 Spanish POC Assistant Head Moderator Mar 7, 2019

pablofg1978, Mar 7, 2019 :
    Please don't spam the forum, you already have a thread, this thread has 4 years and was for the OnePlus one.
    Closing old thread bumped