[CLOSED] Security Updates via OnePlus 7

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BadGuyGenius
    Froyo Apr 27, 2020

BadGuyGenius , via OnePlus 7 , Apr 27, 2020 :
    I'm very disappointed in the OnePlus brand. This was my first OnePlus phone purchase. I purchased because of all the great reviews of how OnePlus is on top of the system and security updates on their phones. Wrong! My other phone a Samsung A50 already had the May 2020 security patch. I will never purchase a OnePlus phone again! The newest OnePlus phones gets the latest system and security patch first. OnePlus has let greed come before the interest of it's loyal fans. All I can say to OnePlus is remember who got you to the big leagues. At least push out up to date security patches to your phones. The security patch is more important than a system update. I wouldn't care if I'm stuck on Android 9 for 6 months as long as the security patch is up to date. Think about what's important to the community..... SECURITY PATCH!

D1541291381059 likes this.
  2. B_Wrath
    Nougat Apr 27, 2020

B_Wrath , Apr 27, 2020 :
    Updates are once in two months. That's the policy.

mojoyoyo77 likes this.
  3. BadGuyGenius
    Froyo Apr 27, 2020

BadGuyGenius , Apr 27, 2020 :
    SECURITY PATCH!
    I don't care as much about the system update

4. B_Wrath
    Nougat Apr 27, 2020

B_Wrath , Apr 27, 2020 :
    Security patches are part of the system updates.
    And its once in two months.

5. BadGuyGenius
    Froyo Apr 27, 2020

Doesn't have to be part of a system update. Please do your homework before responding to something you have no clue about. My Samsung A20 already has May 2020 security patch without any system update in months.

6. B_Wrath
    Nougat Apr 27, 2020

B_Wrath , Apr 27, 2020 :
    Again. I spoke about the way updates are released in OnePlus. Don't go on dissing people who are trying to explain it.

7. BadGuyGenius
    Froyo Apr 27, 2020

B_Wrath

Again. I spoke about the way updates are released in OnePlus. Don't go on dissing people who are trying to explain it.​

I'm not dissing you. If you know anything at all about Android then you know security patch isn't part of a system update, Unless that brand or service provider wants it to be. I'm saying at least push the security patch it when it's available.

8. RoyDecoy
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 27, 2020

RoyDecoy , via OnePlus 7 , Apr 27, 2020 :
    Well not sure how is Samsung able to pull of patches even before Google itself does, lol
    May patch has not even been released I guess?
    1587958773850.jpg

Liehjan likes this.
  9. RoyDecoy
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 27, 2020

RoyDecoy , via OnePlus 7 , Apr 27, 2020 :
    Well I can't start a hunt for a Pixel user right now, but I'm pretty sure you are talking about Pixel 5.

PS: Always do your research first :D

10. B_Wrath
    Nougat Apr 27, 2020

B_Wrath , Apr 27, 2020 :
    I know how Android security patches work. Again, I just said how OnePlus releases it and their update policy.

You should never underestimate a person without first understanding what they are talking about..

Now, coming to security patches by Samsung, they combine both Google's and their own patches in their patches. Most of the time, it only contains their patches. They cannot release a Google patch without Google themselves releasing it.

Now, as per Samsung, A20 doesn't even call under their monthly SMR. It falls under their quarterly SMR.

Now, I maybe wrong. So, can you post the security patch details of your A20?

11. B_Wrath
    Nougat Apr 27, 2020

B_Wrath , Apr 27, 2020 :
    Nobody is degrading you. I have explained you how the update policy of Samsung and oneplus is.
    Now, you are yet to show me the screenshot of the May 2020 security patch on your A20.

If you put it up, maybe we can learn from it too.

12. Funk Wizard
    Moderator Moderator Apr 27, 2020

Funk Wizard , Apr 27, 2020 :
    Moderator Notice

Please refrain from posting any personal attacks or comments. Keep the thread on topic.

Failure to adhere the forum rules would lead to closure of this thread if the conversation drifts to any personal jabs.

Thanks,
    Funk Wizard
    Forum Moderator

PushpakRoy and Liehjan like this.
  13. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Apr 27, 2020

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Apr 27, 2020 :
    Personally I can understand bi-monthly security updates and a time shift. I guess it's kind of an effect of doing beta channel side by side.
    I do however think a kind of redesign could be welcome by many, especially now after 8 series has entered the "ultra flagship" region. With a little reorganization on how stable rollout I think we could have a stable "slowing down" and be more focused on stability and security updates. Less new features for a longer period of time also makes the beta more valuable for those that really want more features early and want to accept the risks.

People need to accept "just" bug fixes and security updates in stable path. Right now it seems common with disappointment when an update does not bring anything new... And the security minded instead gets disappointed when updates come without security updates and "just" a new feature and bugfixes.

With some changes all could be happy. Security and stability focused users in stable and the guys that want more action and features in beta.

PushpakRoy likes this.
  14. B_Wrath
    Nougat Apr 27, 2020

B_Wrath , Apr 27, 2020 :
    This is where things go haywire.

The current users mindset is, they want all features and security patches every month in the stable build itself. They don't seem to understand the time needed to develop, test and deploy a feature.
    Unless the users' mindset changes, I don't think OnePlus can do anything about it. This tussle will continue.

PushpakRoy, Liehjan and Swejuggalo like this.
  15. BadGuyGenius
    Froyo Apr 27, 2020

16. pablofg1978
    Head Moderator Head Moderator Apr 27, 2020

pablofg1978 , Apr 27, 2020 :
    Indeed
    The update policy has been pretty clear since the OnePlus 3 release.
    Please read and use this thread for further discussion.
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/software-update-excitement-thread.993639/
    Thread closed