[CLOSED] Security Updates

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChochiWpg Froyo Feb 4, 2019

ChochiWpg, Feb 4, 2019 :
    Today Pixel phones were updated to February security patch. My 6T is still on the December patch. How often does OnePlus update security? I'm not overly concerned with OS updates, but security updates are important. Thanks

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019

2. yo@25 Honeycomb Feb 4, 2019

yo@25, Feb 4, 2019 :
    You'll get a Feb update for sure. Once in 2 months is something they have stuck to for the past year.

3. Kytharsis Lollipop Feb 4, 2019

Kytharsis, Feb 4, 2019 :
    We'll be getting March security updates. OP runs off the CAF update model (every second month's) instead of Google's. You don't need EVERY security update.

otto2, sbramell and npatel70 like this.
  4. p51d007 KitKat Feb 4, 2019

p51d007, Feb 4, 2019 :
    Don't care...shoot, 99% of phone makers don't even issue security patches.
    Google, Essential & OnePlus are a few that issue regular updates.

otto2, sbramell and Kytharsis like this.
  5. ChochiWpg Froyo Feb 5, 2019

ChochiWpg, Feb 5, 2019 :
    Personally I'd like the phone to be as secured and patched as possible. Google obviously sees a need to make the patches and update the OS to make it more secure. I know many OEM's don't bother updating often at all. But that's why I went with OnePlus because I have heard they do.

I'm coming from being a long time Pixel user as well so it's something I have become accustomed to and knowing the phone is updated and secured brings me peace of mind.

I guess I'll have to get used to once every two months.

Thanks for your help.

Erroneus likes this.
  6. ChochiWpg Froyo Feb 5, 2019

ChochiWpg, Feb 5, 2019 :
    That's not entirely true, Samsung offers monthly security updates for their current model of phones and quarterly updates for their mid range devices and older phones. Huawei also provides monthly updates, Blackberry as well, TBH I think most of them do offer monthly security patches now. OS updates are another thing, but security most are on top of it now. Here's the info on Samsung just as an example.

https://security.samsungmobile.com/workScope.smsb

IDK, some may not care, but to me it's actually pretty important to have your phone as secure as you can have it. Love my 6T and what the OS has to offer with features, but not entirely impressed with getting a security update every 2 or 3 months on a phone that was just released.

N1535505613385 and Erroneus like this.
  7. Erroneus Eclair Feb 5, 2019

Erroneus, Feb 5, 2019 :
    Yeah this is quite disappointing. I get it that for some it's not an issue (and that's oki, we don't all have to have the same opinion), but for some us, we chose OnePlus because they have updated fast. The fact we are now two months behind is an issue for some of us. Some use our phones for quite sensitive work matters and it's getting hard to recommend OnePlus 6T to be used in enterprise, if they can't keep up with security updates.

OnePlus 6T is a brilliant phone, but the security updates needs to be released faster.

N1535505613385 and ChochiWpg like this.
  8. KeepTransisting KitKat Feb 5, 2019

KeepTransisting, Feb 5, 2019 :
    I love how people always demand the latest security updates without even knowing what security fixes are included with them...

9. Erroneus Eclair Feb 5, 2019

Erroneus, Feb 5, 2019 :
    What are you talking about? It's no secret what's been fixed in the latest security updates and that's why it's important for some us to get them fast, because since the fixes are now public known, so are the exploits.

I understand why this is not important to some of you, but what I really don't understand, is why some can be against this, it's so weird. If you don't like to read about it, if that's the issue, don't read this forum thread.

10. IonutC Eclair Feb 5, 2019

11. Moin2200 KitKat Feb 5, 2019

Moin2200, Feb 5, 2019 :
    Well once every 2 months if we are lucky.

They promised 2 years of updates, but not how fast they’ll come.

ChochiWpg likes this.
  12. ironass Jelly Bean Feb 5, 2019

sbramell likes this.
  13. Moin2200 KitKat Feb 5, 2019

14. ChochiWpg Froyo Feb 5, 2019

ChochiWpg, Feb 5, 2019 :
    Yes, this post explains the OS update schedule and what they plan on doing. I have no problems with this at all, I think it's great that they keep adding new features and improving upon them and it's nice they gave a schedule of when we will receive those OS updates. I'm not overly concerned with the OS update schedule. More so the security patches, which don't seem to follow the same monthly update schedule that most other OEMs do follow.

15. IonutC Eclair Feb 5, 2019

16. ironass Jelly Bean Feb 5, 2019

otto2 and sbramell like this.
  17. IonutC Eclair Feb 5, 2019

Erroneus and ChochiWpg like this.
  18. sbramell Gingerbread Feb 5, 2019

sbramell, Feb 5, 2019 :
    should've bought a Pixel then. I'm so sick of people bitching about what Pixel or Essential does, this is NOT a Pixel or Essential phone! You want day 1 releases get a Pixel or Essential! Samsung takes 6 months sometimes to update. You people want the benefits of high priced phones without paying the high prices. OnePlus has clearly stated their update policy & they are still a hell of a lot faster than the vast majority of others. Google obviously will be 1st & Essential is running practically stock. Google puts more than just security fixes in these updates sometimes & it may break Oxygen OS. Also OnePlus uses it as an opportunity to also push fixes & new features as opposed to having you constantly updating, which I'm sure you'd start complaining about eventually too. I've. ever seen anything like this extreme sense of overwhelming entitlement among certain segments of the OnePlus user community, "I want, I want it now, You're not giving it to me fast enough!" then when it's released "my battery life sucks, my camera is horrible, OnePlus rushes out updates half baked without testing!", etc... There's no such thing as pleasing you people FFS!!!

19. ChochiWpg Froyo Feb 5, 2019

ChochiWpg, Feb 5, 2019 :
    Guys, I’m strictly talking about security patches here, I’m not referring to OS updates. Again, I am happy waiting for OS updates since what is currently offered in Oxygen OS provides more options then stock Android Pie does currently.

And yes, everyone, regardless of what Android phone they choose to use, should be entitled to having the most secure phone as possible. The security patches are provided monthly for a reason and Google gives all OEMs access to pushing those updates to their phones.

We have seen in this thread that Nokia is pushing updates every month, Blackberry does, Essential, Samsung and even LG. I was poking around online this afternoon and found that both Sammy and LG provide monthly security patches for their phones. And Samsung is the worst when it comes to OS updates because their skin is so heavy. So their users won’t get the most up to date OS but at least they are getting the security patches, which is a good thing for their users.

I could have gotten a Pixel phone, I have owned all previous Nexus devices and all previous Pixel devices as well. But I wanted to give OnePlus a try because I have heard how much they have improved and changed since the OnePlus One. I truly love this phone, the hardware is great, the OS is great. But I would hope the security would be great as well.

As stated above, everyone who owns a smartphone, regardless if it’s a low end budget to the highest end available, should be entitled to the most secure phone possible. I don’t think that’s really asking too much. In every other category OnePlus has gone above and beyond, this is something very small and easy to implement.

Erroneus and Harpreet541999 like this.
  20. IonutC Eclair Feb 5, 2019

IonutC, Feb 5, 2019 :
    Fan boy much ? My old Nokia 8 retails at £230 and still has the latest security patch. And it's not even in Android One programe :). I don't get it why you get so frustrated if someone points out that the security patches are important. We are here to discuss and solve our problems with the phone . If it can be done good for all of us, if not not. When a security patch comes out , as the name states, it patches the security of the core OS which is Android and doesn't touch any other software. It is up to developers to pick up on the latest Android releases which are sent out before any public release and see how this affects their software and come with updates of their own.

Erroneus and ChochiWpg like this.