Other [CLOSED] Thank you Oneplus for 9R scam (suggestions included).

?

Will your next phone be a ONEPLUS ?

1. YES

40.0%
  2. NO CHANCE IN HELL

60.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ASTROS
    Donut Jan 14, 2022

ASTROS , Jan 14, 2022 :
    Let me start with some context. I own oneplus 6, 9R, buds, buds z, buds pro, bullets type c, bullets wireless z. Except for 9R and bullets type c, I don't have any complain with other devices.

Coming to bullets type c, this is just a waste of money as the mic volume is toooo low and audio quality is subpar and my product was defective coz the mic stopped working in 3 months and the replacement which I got also has same issues meaning that it wasn't just my product but the product in general is garbage.

Now coming to Oneplus 9R, initially this product costed ₹10k ($ 135) more than its competitors with the same specs but I still bought it due to the trust in oneplus (big mistake). So the product itself, in general I haven't encountered any major issues but there r some bugs and drawbacks like
    1. Too much time to load gallery folders, thumbnails etc (have tried all tips & tricks like updating to latest version from apkmirror, clearing cache etc but still the issue persists)
    2. Very very poor camera quality (might improve with update but don't bet on it)
    3. No LHDC support yet (might come with update)
    4. No BGMI 90FPS (might come with game update)

I have mentioned in all the above points that they might improve with OOS 12 (colorOS 12) update but this leads to why I called this phone a scam in the title.

We see that oneplus named this phone 9R which is part of 9 series but it terms of updates it is treated as equivalent to 8T sometimes even less. Updates to 9R are mostly security patches with no improvements whatsoever and no OOS 12 update to 9R yet even though 9 and 9 pro got it. In this way we were scammed to believe that we were buying a phone with support equal to 9 and 9 pro but in reality it was just an 8T with paint job.

My suggestions to oneplus team if u r even looking at this thread (i don't think so) :
    1. Stop scamming people and provide equal support to phones released in same series.
    2. Don't just release updates for namesake instead try to remove bugs and improve the user experience.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022

ahmetkkn07 likes this.
  2. BetaBot
    Jelly Bean Jan 14, 2022

otto2 likes this.
  3. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Jan 14, 2022

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jan 14, 2022 :
    The SoC 9R uses is in many ways more like 865 than 888. It can even be found under the same kernel source code family as the other 865 phones. It can't be treated the same because the very core of the phone is not equal as the rest of 9 series.
    Never hope for similar treatment if the SoC is not the same.

otto2 likes this.
  4. ASTROS
    Donut Jan 14, 2022

ASTROS , Jan 14, 2022 :
    I totally understand the kernel and SOC situation as I have flashed many roms in my past devices. My point is if u cannot provide same support to all the devices of same series than that is like scamming customers with nameplay and also consider the fact that oneplus is a big company with plenty resources and developers, we aren't talking about some custom rom xda developers.

5. Swejuggalo

8TR or 8T+ could have been a more proper name... But would it sell the same if belonging to the previous "old" series?
    Either way the moment is was launched, side by side 9 series, kind of makes any name kind of bad in one way or a other.

6. ASTROS
    Donut Jan 14, 2022

ASTROS , via OnePlus 9R , Jan 14, 2022 :
    Actually, it should have been called 8T minus with paint job coz unlike 9R, 8T comes with a PD charger.

7. Swejuggalo

PD? Not Warp then? What did you get to 9R?

8. ASTROS
    Donut Jan 14, 2022

ASTROS , via OnePlus 9R , Jan 14, 2022 :
    U really dont know anything about 9R or chargers i guess.
    Please read this piece from GSMArena:

1642196371897.jpg

And also warp charger is just a gimmick name given by OnePlus for their new chargers of 30W, 65W, previously it was called dash charger for 20W

9. Swejuggalo

So the charger practally dropped the extra standards the regular Warp 65 global charger supported to lower the price point I guess.
    And yes, not all things about 9R is known to me. But I noticed the lack of USB-C.

10. ASTROS
    Donut Jan 15, 2022

ASTROS , via OnePlus 9R , Jan 15, 2022 :
    8T was actually a bit cheaper than 9R at launch, thats why i called 9R a scam coz oneplus tricked everyone with new phone named in new series at a bit higher price than 8T with a regular charger

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022

11. Tobikage
    General Support Expert Award 2021 Jan 15, 2022

Gor. likes this.
  12. ASTROS
    Donut Jan 15, 2022

Evidently many people fell for it and bought 9R but got support like a previous gen model (8T)

13. SoumyaNC
    Froyo Jan 15, 2022

SoumyaNC , via OnePlus 9R , Jan 15, 2022 :
    Yeah. Absolutely right. They gave the name starting with 9, as if they belong to 9 series. But giving a treatment like an old phone. Shame on you Oneplus.

14. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Jan 15, 2022

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jan 15, 2022 :
    Even when brand new? Release price would be the most fair price to compare with.
    8T would naturally fall in price first due to age, even if the devices are very similar.
    No idea what price point Qualcomm had on the 870.
    Even if a bit odd device I wouldn't go as far as calling it a scam. Complicated and maybe hard to know/understand what you are getting. I believe some even upgraded from 8T to 9R... 🤔

You basically got a modified 865 and a slimmed down Warp charger. You win some and you loose some situation.

The performance gain on 870 seems to be mixed results though. Again win and loose some.
    https://nanoreview.net/en/soc-compare/qualcomm-snapdragon-870-vs-qualcomm-snapdragon-865

15. Murali Vihar
    Eclair Jan 15, 2022

Murali Vihar , via OnePlus 9R , Jan 15, 2022 :
    I totally support you boy. This 9R is an absolute shit. These support people always support OnePlus but don't care them. Buying OnePlus by investing 45K is the biggest mistake that I've done and okay boy I'm selling this for 25K now. Phone hangs, freezes, No improvements in the camera (Sometimes I take photos from my mothers phone Realme X because that captures awesome photos compared to this real shame). They only fixes issues which they've known from ages. Cool guys, After some years this OnePlus will be like HTC. Anyway people are now not choosing OnePlus.

16. ASTROS
    Donut Jan 15, 2022

ASTROS , Jan 15, 2022 :
    I totally 100% standby what I told i.e. Oneplus 9R is a scam phone unless oneplus starts to treat it as an actual 9 series phone and provides updates equivalent to other 9 series phones. To further prove my point Android 12 for 9R is still in closed beta stage but 9 and 9 pro already got stable Android 12 and also with a new bug fixing update recently.

And also RIP for whoever upgraded from 8T to 9R coz they sold their phone at depreciated value to again buy the same phone lol...:tearsofjoy:

SoumyaNC likes this.
  17. Swejuggalo

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 9 Pro Morning Mist , Jan 15, 2022 :
    It will always have a different SoC and fall behind when it comes to new OS versions.
    It will always be a regional version too.
    Both of these 2 are not exactly positive things if you want the same treatment. Both labeling it at 9 series and 8T series would be incorrect or bad depending how you see it. It's complicated.

It's a slightly modified 8T for a limited region. For good and for bad.

18. SoumyaNC
    Froyo Jan 15, 2022

SoumyaNC , via OnePlus 9R , Jan 15, 2022 :
    Genuine request to moderators, don't try to complicate things. Fact is that Oneplus is not providing proper updates to OP 9R and no one can deny that. It's not about a timely update, what kind of update company is giving that is also important. Only Android security patch update with some bug fix(without mentioning the bug) will not work.
    Earlier OnePlus used to hear user opinions, now everything is gone. You even don't have the right to speak in public forums.
    I hope I have not violated the community rules and regulations. 😏

19. Swejuggalo

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 9 Pro Morning Mist , Jan 15, 2022 :
    Someone gave you a warning?

20. ASTROS
    Donut Jan 15, 2022

Hey bro, for the millionth time this is not XDA developers and i am not asking for updates from some freelance custom rom developer on XDA. This is OnePlus who sells phones worldwide commercially and has revenue in millions of dollars per year. Stop trying to divert the point to some nonsense about SOC or kernel etc. When a company sells a product, it has to deliver on it and oneplus isn't doing which can clearly be seen. Well u in particular cannot see that so please stop.

SoumyaNC likes this.