[CLOSED] Trade in program

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ariskaridis Cupcake Jul 17, 2019

ariskaridis, Jul 17, 2019 :
    Your trade in scheme is insulting to your customers. I bought a 6T six months ago and according to you its value is just £180 today, although it is in an immaculate condition!

If you think that your products lose 2/3 of their value within 6 months, then in the future I'll be looking at another company that creates better quality products that don't depreciate with that rate.

2. superplus English POC Assistant Head Moderator Jul 17, 2019

superplus, Jul 17, 2019 :
    I don't know what happens to trade-in devices these days, since it's not mentioned explicitly on https://www.oneplus.com/uk/trade-in, but in this thread, which at least describes how the process used to work a while back: https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/trade-in-get-cash-back.561091/ they mention that the devices are recycled in an environmentally conscious way:

In either case, I would say that it's safe to say that that the trade in values don't reflect any actual depreciation of your device. If you are only to look at some of the selling platforms for secondhand products available to you in the UK, you could see people selling their used 6Ts in mint condition for up to £500 (assuming you have the non-McLaren edition, they fetch even more of course). Make of that what you will.

The trade in program might be a way to go for people who have an old device, which they don't know what to do with, or for those who don't want to bother with selling their device to some random stranger for whatever reason (be it handling the money, transaction fees, shipping, meeting in person, security concerns...). So some people might like to avail themselves of this hassle-free way of getting a discount voucher for purchasing a newer device.

Either way, all the best to you, and please note that offering your device for sale on the Community forums, or linking to an external ad where you are advertising it, would be a violation of Rule 1.4 No Ads of the forums' Terms & Rules.

Edit: p.s. also please note that these are the OnePlus community forums, so you're just talking to fellow OnePlus users and enthusiasts here.

3. Gav_W86 Starting Point Expert Jul 18, 2019

Gav_W86, Jul 18, 2019 :
    all commercial trade ins, no matter what the sector, are about the ease, not the value. It is the same if you trade in a car to a dealer, you will always get considerably less than if you sell direct to someone else, you just don't have the hassle of doing it. Same here, the trade-in partners that OnePlus link to offer a convenient service, but that convenience comes at the expense of value.

4. ariskaridis Cupcake Jul 18, 2019

ariskaridis, Jul 18, 2019 :
    There's no convenience at all with the way they are doing. I have to send them my phone, wait 3 weeks to find out how much they will offer and then wait even more to get the new phone! Do they expect me to buy and use another phone while they are doing the process? I would really like to meet the person who thought that this is acceptable.

As much as hate saying it, I can see why most people go to Apple. I could trade in an iPhone and get a new one instantly.

5. Liehjan KitKat Jul 18, 2019

Liehjan, Jul 18, 2019 :
    You could sell it yourself for a better value and turn it into instant cash

6. ariskaridis Cupcake Jul 18, 2019

Sure, I can sell it independently but you would expect the official trade in scheme to be easier and better value. Unfortunately it's neither.

I would prefer it if OnePlus had said "we don't have a trade in scheme because we are not ready for it" instead of having a really bad one that customers won't/cannot use.

7. Liehjan KitKat Jul 18, 2019

Liehjan, Jul 18, 2019 :
    I know, but why would they give a great value for your old phone.. Oneplus can't re-sell it... They probably recycle it to build new parts

8. ariskaridis Cupcake Jul 18, 2019

One more reason to scrap the scheme then instead of trying to sell a bad service to their customers, right? [e]1f609[/e]

9. KeepTransisting The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jul 18, 2019

KeepTransisting, Jul 18, 2019 :
    Trade in programs are about convenience, not value. They're not forcing you to use it.

If you want a good return on an old device, sell it to a private party on a site like Swappa

10. pablofg1978 Spanish POC Assistant Head Moderator Jul 18, 2019

pablofg1978, Jul 18, 2019 :
    Then you will have a lot of ppl complaining (again) why OnePlus doesn't have a trade in program....
    If you want to buy a phone just for the trade in price that you will get after using it instead of the phone that you want to buy and use, that is your choice.
    Anyways, you can leave your feedback about the trade in program directly to OnePlus here Https://forums.oneplus.com/feedback
    Thread closed