189 vote(s)
    44.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ashok_inder
    Froyo Sep 30, 2018

ashok_inder , Sep 30, 2018 :
    If their is solid science behind this, then why don't phone OEM add to circuitry an auto setting that will cutoff charging at 80% and switch off at 20%. ?
    Say most have budget issue to build such circuit, then why even apple don't do this?
    Add an option in setting who don't want to enable such circuit to turn it off.

2. NikhilJagtap
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 30, 2018

NikhilJagtap , Sep 30, 2018 :
    Internal Storage of device I faster than SD cards, even class 10 memory cards. I don't think OnePlus will make hybrid slots. One thing you can do, use OTG. With type-C it will maintain a decent speed.

3. ashok_inder
    Froyo Sep 30, 2018

Both are flash drive. Its a myth that internal is fast and external is slow, it really depends on read write speed of card and what kind of workload the storage is optimised for, drivers, android storage management and what type of card bus is used.
    for eg: I have moved a movie of gb size at faster speed from internal to uhs external and on same setup moving 3000 images of total size 120mb was painfully slow from internal to external.

4. NikhilJagtap

NikhilJagtap , Sep 30, 2018 :

B1527824037361

Both are flash drive. Its a myth that internal is fast and external is slow, it really depends on read write speed of card and what kind of workload the storage is optimised for, drivers, android storage management and what type of card bus is used.
    for eg: I have moved a movie of gb size at faster speed from internal to uhs external and on same setup moving 3000 images of total size 120mb was painfully slow from internal to external.​

This is not case with this device, sir. In many cases, external storage can be faster than internal.
    By which I mean, external connected with OTG is found to be slower than internal storage though it was class 10.
    I don't know it may be different case with you.

5. Trevor.Hawkes

Trevor.Hawkes , Sep 30, 2018 :
    I don't know why OEMs do anything I'm afraid. Frankly I'm baffled by many things they do.
    The general advice about mobile battery charging varies. The common theme is that stressing your battery shortens its life. Stressing a battery mainly occurs when it's subjected to high temperatures or deep charge/discharge cycles.
    The recommendations vary a lot but 80% appears to be given most often as the upper limit and the lower limit given varies from 60% to 20%. While the 60% may be the best it is impractical for most people. A reasonable and practical lower level is often given as 20%.

6. ashok_inder
    Froyo Sep 30, 2018

They don't do is due to lack of scientifically proven reasons. You should also avoid such schemes.
    Best practice would be to rather charge and discharge your phone in no particular pattern but have frequent cycles of full discharge and full charge.

7. f1982

f1982 , Sep 30, 2018 :
    I've heard that the advice you've seen (80/20) was correct, but it applied a number of years ago to older technology. Batteries today are better technology with much smarter variation of charging current so that damage does not occur. There is nothing wrong with discharging completely, not charging to 100%. The current is limited to a trickle as it gets closer to 100% so there is much less 'stress'.

8. ashok_inder
    Froyo Sep 30, 2018

Connecting through OTG is another thing and that has to be slow as we are dealing with another kind of transmission bus and technology.
    My point was specifically to internal flash storage and external flash storage without any intermediary connection.

NikhilJagtap likes this.
  9. f1982

f1982 , Sep 30, 2018 :
    That's literally the point. If they dont make a T then they're going up against other companies who are releasing newer phones. If they didn't make a T then they would almost by definition be satisfying people less with an older device than they could with an updated version.

10. ashok_inder
    Froyo Sep 30, 2018

Even then it was wrong as Ni battery (not li) demanded full charge and discharge else you would have got lazy battery effect or memory effect where the 20% would have been the new 0% and 80% the new 100%.
    80/20 was never a logical solution but don't know how on all website this is given as best solution to increase battery life.

11. Trevor.Hawkes

There is that too.
    Also this is an extract from information given by Carl,

" Right now, the vast majority of our customers are still purchasing phones online, and these customers have a very different profile: they’re very tech-savvy, they know what all the latest specs are and all the new brands. They are also less patient. You can see a clear difference between a lifecycle of a phone online versus offline. Online it ramps up really quickly and after a few months people forget about it because the next big thing is out there already. Offline the phone can live for much longer because the consumers are less swayed by the online news, but more by the salesperson in the store. So, right now, since our business model involves a lot of online consumers, it’s smarter for us to have two products a year. I think this will change, but it’s not going to be that quick. In a couple of years, when we have, say, 60 percent of our customers offline, then we can consider another strategy."
    So, who realy knows why they do anything.

f1982 likes this.
  12. Ctainatongo
    Eclair Sep 30, 2018

Ctainatongo , Sep 30, 2018 :
    technology and innovation waits for no one. having a model t helps put one plus in competition with the bigger boys of the mobile industry. Carl is right, OnePlus has those customers that want the lastest and greatest when it's possible. . I see the.model T as the perfected model before it (which it is) at an affordable price . having a cell phone is an investment. So customers do want the most bang for their bucks. one plus should.be commended for provided such which is viable to them for their.business to gain more consumer awareness and to also grow into other demographics.

chuckbort and f1982 like this.
  13. Trevor.Hawkes

You obviously know better than I. Thank you.

14. tebsoo
    Froyo Sep 30, 2018

tebsoo , Sep 30, 2018 :
    Hi All,

I'm a long term user of OP3T and would have upgraded to newer phones long ago if only they had a front facing fingerprint sensor rather than on the back. I kept waiting and it seems the 6T will have one. Not happy about the loss of the headphone jack but I could live with that. However I am concerned about the possible absence of a notification LED. It's a very underrated feature. I tend to keep my phone on silent in the office and heavily rely on the notification led to tell me of missed notifications and the type of notification. I don't use always on display because of privacy concerns so its not a solution. My concern is the shape of the teardrop shaped notch and some of the recent Oppo phones with these types of notch not having a notification LED. Does anyone know if there will be one or can see it in the leaks? If not I'll be really disappointed have to switch to another brand.

Thanks,
    T

ositis likes this.
  15. SoniaB
    Nougat Senior Moderator Sep 30, 2018

SoniaB , Sep 30, 2018 :
    Thread merged

16. Erlanttz
    Gingerbread Sep 30, 2018

17. Kippenoma
    Cupcake Sep 30, 2018

Kippenoma , Sep 30, 2018 :
    So out of the rumors/leaks:
    1. 6.4 inch 19.5:9 display
    2. In-display fingerprint scanner (confirmed)
    3. Bigger Battery (3600-3700 mAh)
    4. Removal of headphone jack :(
    5. Triple camera?
    6. Teardrop notch
    Which are you most excited for? I really hope they make the pixel size & speakers bigger/better, considering the speakers are kinda trash right now!

Oh, and an official IP rating would be really cool too!

18. F_Jorden_Grewal_QmtA

Surokoida likes this.
  19. Kippenoma
    Cupcake Sep 30, 2018

Kippenoma , Sep 30, 2018 :
    People suspect the 17th of October.

20. ositis
    Cupcake Sep 30, 2018

ositis , Sep 30, 2018 :
    I would like to hear about the LED light as well. I am a OP3T user too and 6T seems like a promising model to upgrade to, even thought nothing is wrong with my 3T except the camera quality and because I've drowned and resurrected it 2 times.
    I've heard that with the new display technologies it is possible to turn on only selected pixels of the screen, so is 6T going to take advantage of this tehnology to imitate a LED dot light? I find it extremely useful if I see that there's a new notification and because of the color customization I already know what kind of notification is that.

Surokoida, f1982 and tebsoo like this.