[Closed] What are your thoughts on the new "ContentGuard" project?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Indest
    Lollipop Jul 25, 2015

Dr. Indest , Jul 25, 2015 :
    Major ROM developers are now starting to incorporate this into their ROMs. Exudos started the movement with today's build.

In a nutshell, ROM devs are working together on an Open Source project to make a host like system that will block the installation of free and legally available apps. These apps are being blocked on the premise that they can promote piracy. However, like Chrome and Firefox, these apps have other purposes. The apps being blocked are chosen by Dave Kessler and consist of apps he and only he disapproves of. This code is freely available for any dev to add into their ROMs.

Is this Good or bad?

ROMs that currently implement this Anti Piracy Feature:
    ROMs that have not yet implemented this feature (implementation may or may not happen):
    • PAC-ROM
    • Slim
    • Sultan
    • DirtyUnicrons (Thanks @nazsabir for the tip)
    • XenonHD (Thanks @Me1256 for the tip)
    • Slimsaber (Thanks @Me1256 for the tip)
    • MinimalOS (Thanks @Me1256 for the tip)
    • Temasek (Thanks @Me1256 for the tip)
    According to @raja.m (an Exudos developer), some potential ROMs that may add this feature in the future:
    • Slimremix
    • Cmremix
    • AOSP (I am doubtful of this one)
    Know of other ROMs that have/don't have this feature? Please tag me below and let me know.

Fix to disable the AntiPiracy feature on ALL ROMs, by @One_Minus_One!

Don't like the idea, please add the following to your signature to join the movement!

Code:
    [CENTER][SIZE=6][U][COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)][URL='https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/what-are-your-thoughts-on-the-new-anti-piracy-support-project.325620']#No2ContentGuard[/URL][URL='https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/antipiracy-checkmate.336847'] - Anti-ContentGuard - [/URL][URL='https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/team-antimalware-brotherhood.374599'] AntiMalware Brotherhood[/URL][/COLOR][/U][/SIZE][/CENTER]
    Code:
    [CENTER][URL='https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/what-are-your-thoughts-on-the-new-contentguard-project.325620/'][IMG]http://oi61.tinypic.com/2q3xhti.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/CENTER]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015

2. akwingnut
    Froyo Jul 25, 2015

akwingnut , Jul 25, 2015 :
    Sucks... Go to Google+ Ground Zero ROMS and get the Tipsy ROM... no Anti crap gonna be in that.....

RazorCharlie, vsm007, spixel and 5 others like this.
  3. Dr. Indest
    Lollipop Jul 25, 2015

So those 2 ROMs will NOT have it?

How are they on the One?

4. Tt1en
    Honeycomb Jul 25, 2015

Tt1en , Jul 25, 2015 :
    Hi Indest, could you please explain a bit more into detail? I would like to know more about this.

5. Dr. Indest
    Lollipop Jul 25, 2015

Essentially, ROM devs are making an Open Source project where they are all working together to make a host file like system that will block the installation of pirated apps, malware and patchers. This code will be free for any dev to add into their ROMs and ROMs are already being published with this code.

FXA, remedy, Christian_yn and 9 others like this.
  6. akwingnut
    Froyo Jul 25, 2015

GZR is the group Tipsy is a new build from Martin and shouldnt even have the ANTI crap. We are currently testing ROMs and the ANTI crap is messing with it... So try out TIPSY

7. ExpatZ
    Jelly Bean Jul 25, 2015

8. Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Marshmallow Senior Moderator Jul 25, 2015

Maximus Decimus Meridius , Jul 25, 2015 :
    Whats yours? Normally i dont like to pay, but on the other hand, i like to get paid (or getpeid;) ). So i think its fair and a step to a serious type of softwaremovement.
    (Dont get me wrong sometimes lots of software is highly overrated and waaaay too expensive....)

9. Tt1en
    Honeycomb Jul 25, 2015

Tt1en , Jul 25, 2015 :
    So in case of installation of applications from unknown sources it will automatically scan your phone in order to double check whether the application is installed with a license etc.?

Aaahh and Dr. Indest like this.
  10. akwingnut
    Froyo Jul 25, 2015

lostLambda and Dr. Indest like this.
  11. Dr. Indest
    Lollipop Jul 25, 2015

Personally, I pay for everything (I do the Google Spy on you Surveys for play store credit). However, I do use patchers like Pandora Patcher to enable rich-text notification. However, per the G+ discussion, apps like Pandora Patcher will be blocked. So I for one am against it. Also, I don't know how far this will go. Block my Xposed Ad-blockers (which is technically piracy since it removes ads from free apps) and I won't be happy. I once supported Ads till they became obtrusive.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015

Max.Mar, RJ Murdok, iDreams7 and 16 others like this.
  12. giaur500
    Jelly Bean Jul 25, 2015

surfrndk and Dr. Indest like this.
  13. Dr. Indest
    Lollipop Jul 25, 2015

Correct. That plus apps like lucky patcher and Black Market will be blocked from installation.

loulouboy likes this.
  14. Tt1en
    Honeycomb Jul 25, 2015

Tt1en , Jul 25, 2015 :
    Thanks for the explanation. Then in my opinion it is a bit too much, since this could be easily abused for spying on the other activities you do with your phone. It seemed like a good idea initially but now it rather seems like a Trojan horse where they are trying to sell something completely different to us. I personally do not like a nanny state type of control.

15. akwingnut
    Froyo Jul 25, 2015

Indest, Tipsy was 1st developed for the OPO, so its fast stable and an awesome ROM

ScorpioPirate and Dr. Indest like this.
  16. Funk Wizard
    Lollipop Moderator Jul 25, 2015

Funk Wizard , Jul 25, 2015 :
    Broken 3.0 has also incorporated this. You can run but you can't hide for long. All or most ROMs wound have it soon...

loulouboy likes this.
  17. Dr. Indest
    Lollipop Jul 25, 2015

Damn even broken? Wow.

loulouboy likes this.
  18. HerrN87
    Honeycomb Jul 25, 2015

HerrN87 , Jul 25, 2015 :
    I don't like to pay, and I've never bought an app. I've never pirated one ether. I get along fine with free ones, but I hate feeling restricted. I hate the Idea of software made to control the usage of my product. I would probably not use a ROM with that kind of restriction as long as there are acceptable alternatives. I actually feel the need to start pirating apps right away now. (Don't tell me what to do, gods damn it!)

19. giaur500
    Jelly Bean Jul 25, 2015

giaur500 , Jul 25, 2015 :
    Sorry, Android paid apps are really cheap in compare to pc programs and games. So any project that prevents people from doing dirty tricks is good idea

20. _ASSASSIN_
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 25, 2015

_ASSASSIN_ , Jul 25, 2015 :
    this is from exodus, one of the few ROMs that has a built in ad-blocker lol.

Dunnow and Dr. Indest like this.