CLUB INDIA Reborn

1. Haseeb
    Donut Jan 7, 2015

2. hetalk
    Jan 7, 2015

hetalk , Jan 7, 2015 :
    Never ever drain out a li-ion or li-poly battery.

Dhrumin226 likes this.
  3. navin_thomas
    Jelly Bean Jan 7, 2015

navin_thomas , Jan 7, 2015 :
    Yup. I think they are like images of partitions. So they restoring them should return the partitions to their previous states .... which is somewhat equivalent to wiping and then flashing

Don't know how it was years ago, but I'm somewhat sure that NANDroid nowadays wipe before restoring.

Hmm ... I just wanted a seamless transition ... thats why I tried restoring the system data too ...

restoring system data first and then restoring user apps seems to be working ...anyway I'll keep your advice in my mind the next time I need to restore.

I knews this but when @lefttobleed asked me whether I did complete wipe, I got confused :confused:

Thanks for the tip, but it looks like I won't be needing that app.

No need to be sorry. I didnt wipe anything.

4. hetalk
    Jan 7, 2015

hetalk , Jan 7, 2015 :
    1) Like I said earlier, do not backup or restore all system data. Over time, I've learnt that only safe system data that can be restored are wifi-access-points/call-logs/sms/accounts/wallpaper/bluetooth-pairing. Basically all the ones that show up with titanium backup symbol. Any other system data, if restored, might create issues. Basically, restoring system data is pretty much the same as a dirty flash, which is not recommended if you're changing ROMs.
    2) If you restore a nandroid backup, you don't need to wipe or flash anything before or after it.
    3) Lately, I create an update.zip file from batch operations. This feature will create a update.zip file of all the data that you've backup up using titanium backup. You can just flash this zip file after any clean flash or restore, and you'll get all your files back. So, far it works just fine after couple of reboots.
    4) SMSes and call logs are the most important things on my device. Even though I use TitBak for backing up and restoring them, I still use another set of app (call logs backup and restore and sms backup and restore from play store) to make a backup of these data. You can automate it and also upload to a cloud service of your choice. I highly recommend these 2 apps.

In short, TitBak works well for user apps, and some system apps (the one that show up with titanium backup symbol) irrespective of ROM or android version (i've backed up and restored from froyo to kitkat).

5. rationaldevil
    Honeycomb Jan 7, 2015

Dhrumin226 and GoonerBoy like this.
  6. rationaldevil
    Honeycomb Jan 7, 2015

rationaldevil , Jan 7, 2015 :
    Yeah when you restore stuff all it does is replace the existing system and data files. Which files will be replaced can be seen by opening the backed up .tar file.

Or in some cases does it append them??

Dhrumin226 likes this.
  7. ParthThakur
    Jelly Bean Jan 7, 2015

Dhrumin226 likes this.
  8. hetalk
    Jan 7, 2015

hetalk , Jan 7, 2015 :
    Initial CM12 builds will be pretty close to android L looks. Once they merge theme engine, then it turns into a totally different thing. Feature-wise they have already merged a lot of features on stock aosp L (not opo L) and they say they'll merge almost everything in another month's time.
    You do not need to do anything at all, before and after restoring a nandroid backup.
    Yes CM12 will have nightly otas, as far as I know. But, they dont have incremental updates like euphoria said they have.
    And yes, other custom L roms do still have stock aosp L looks, as there's no major theming support added.
    During nandroid restore, all parition images are overwritten from backup files. No wipe or flash, just image dump.
    That's the way to go.
    Yes please, do that @coolboy_ammy
    Correct !
    Restoring system data is same as a dirty flash, which is not recommended while changing ROMs, and you're attempting it over different android versions.
    All you need is TitBak (and the call logs and sms backup restore apps, if you're like me). That's it.
    .. and twrp of course :D

9. hetalk
    Jan 7, 2015

hetalk , Jan 7, 2015 :
    TitBak will just copy(and overwrite) the files at the same paths from where it backed it up. Now, if the new ROM uses a different xml layout or property name than older ROM, it's gonna crash.

10. navin_thomas
    Jelly Bean Jan 7, 2015

So I just have to take a NANDroid and restore the app+data alone from the NANDroid itself, right?

lefttobleed and Dhrumin226 like this.
  11. navin_thomas
    Jelly Bean Jan 7, 2015

All I wanted to do was check out Franco kernel. But I already had AK kernel installed. So I flashed the NANDroid I took just before i flashed AK to get stock kernel and then flashed Franco. This was followed by a TitBack restore. That is when I ran into problems.

EDIT: So as you can see I didnt switch ROMs or anything. That's why I was puzzled when TitBack messed up

12. rationaldevil
    Honeycomb Jan 7, 2015

rationaldevil , Jan 7, 2015 :
    Yes. It is listed as a feature.
    Restore apps+data from nandroid backup.

These are the pro features that make it somewhat different than TitBackup(Love the name:D:p):

* Explore text messages in nandroid backup without having to restore anything. (Pro)
    * Explore call logs in nandroid backup without having to restore anything. (Pro)
    Explore contents of backup files with support for the following backup file types: - yaffs2.img
    - tar (this includeds any file that has a weird file extention but is in the tar format)
    - ext4.win
    - ext3.win
    - ext2.win
    - .yaffs2.win
    - .dup

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015

13. hetalk
    Jan 7, 2015

hetalk , Jan 7, 2015 :
    1) I'd suggest only backup system data with titbak icon. But, again, you can try out other stuff as well. That's the fun of android.
    3) update zip will contain only the stuff that you've backup up. I normally delete all backups and make new backups before changing roms and then create update.zip.
    4) yes and yes

5) No, if you're restoring a nandroid backup, you restore everything. Always !

14. maksud986
    Cupcake Jan 7, 2015

15. hetalk
    Jan 7, 2015

hetalk , Jan 7, 2015 :
    To change kernels you could just dirty flash your ROM and then flashed new kernel.
    You can use this for a flashable cm11s stock ROM.

Dhrumin226 likes this.
  16. kevin4nivek
    Jelly Bean Jan 7, 2015

kevin4nivek , Jan 7, 2015 :
    Hi guys, I am facing a weird issue with my OPO. The charger seem to be going on and off on its own when I plug in the OPO for charging. Not sure what's happening. I am seeing this since morning when my OPO charge dropped to around 4%. That is when I plugged it. After 2-4 mins the notification light and sound started to go on and off like some loose connection. I checked both ends and its perfect. Anyone faced similar issue. Currently its intermittent and not happening on a consistent basis but yes its happening.

Dhrumin226 likes this.
  17. abhibhan89
    KitKat Jan 7, 2015

abhibhan89 , Jan 7, 2015 :
    Didn't create any... Copied it from a fellow forum member..

18. hetalk
    Jan 7, 2015

hetalk , Jan 7, 2015 :
    Did you try out other chargers or try charging using a pc usb port?
    I haven't seen this on my device yet.
    Again, my recommendation is that don't let your phone charge go below 10%. Once it goes down 10% it's all downhill from there.

19. abhibhan89
    KitKat Jan 7, 2015

abhibhan89 , Jan 7, 2015 :
    I prevent it from going below 15%...
    I switch it off, if am out, and can't plug it for juice..

20. harshalg
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 7, 2015

harshalg , Jan 7, 2015 :
    @hetalk @lefttobleed
    flashed cm12 nightly 20 mins ago....and now reverting back to blisspop (!!!!) for the following reasons:
    1) the ripple animations are bad (the ripple does not spread evenly across the area and its kind of restricted more around the text area)
    2) it doesnt have the cm camera (i think its google camera, which sucks in comparison with cm camera)
    3) audioFX doesnt work (lately, V4A was working smoothly on blisspop)
    4) visually, its nothing more than stock L (maybe i was expecting too much)
    i'll give it another try after the final build is released