College is my second chance at life.

1. LightningXIII
    Community Veteran Sep 1, 2015

LightningXIII , Sep 1, 2015 :
    Hi,

I felt like sharing my story and you would say, what does this have to do with Oneplus? Well actually it has a lot to do with Oneplus. Keep on reading and I'll explain.

It started when I quit high school. I started my senior year and after two weeks of my senior year I gave up. I was tired of school I wanted to start my 'adult' life. So, I don't have a degree.
    I quickly realized, three months later. That that was a very stupid idea. I called my high school in december that year to ask if I could join my class again in the next trimester (that started in Januari) But my parents didn't have my back so I didn't have the money to go back.

The next two years, well I didn't do much. I went from one job to another, because and this is rather personal, I had a depression (I only realized that recently)
    It all changed when I had a talk with my sister and a therapist a few months back. These persons asked me what my biggest dream was. My answer was "going to college". But without a degree I can't go to college. I'm from Belgium and in Belgium there is a test for people like me who don't have a degree. I made this test and I turned in everything in last monday and I will get the results next week. If I don't pass I'll do that test again next year. Because I am not giving up on my dream. Going to college is only a part of my lifegoal to completely honest. But it has to start with that.

So what does OnePlus have to do with this?
    People think I am a huge fangirl, but that has many reasons.
    One of the reasons is; My major will be Digital Marketing. As you all know Oneplus has an exceptional way of marketing. Most importantly it's all 'digital'.
    My second reason is that Oneplus inspires me every day. They are a young group of people who believe in what they do. And I, myself wants to do that too. The specs of the phone are not the most important reason to me to support this company and the staff. I believe in what they do and they believe in their fans. Some may think, no they don't. They don't even reply. Even if they don't reply, they read everything here. Yes, they noticed you.

But why Digital Marketing?
    To be honest, when I first started thinking about going back to college I wanted to major in Graphic Design. I always was top of the class in high school in that subject that was a preparation for graphic design.
    However, in Belgium at least, there aren't to many job opportunities in this 'section'. So I reconsidered.
    My choice for this major started when my boyfriend specialized in e-commerce. He got a job as digital marketeer even before he graduated. (he didn't quit his education, he combined them after he got the job) And he is a remarkable digital marketeer. His boss LOVES him. Every time I go to a staff party with him, his boss can't stop talking about how good my boyfriend is at his job and how badly he is helping their company. I want my boss to talk about me like that too ;)
    Few months after that I met Oneplus and I got attached to Oneplus honestly as I explained earlier.

I know that there are a lot of young people on this forum, people who go to college and will start college soon. But just think about this, don't only choose a major that you think you'll like. Consider the chance at a job too. How unfortunate would it be if you majored in something and don't find a job?

I hope my story will inspire some of you and I hope that, people who don't believe anymore start believing again. Cause I have been there and know how hard it can be. But never stop believing. Set up your life goal, how unreachable it may seem. Divide that goal in smaller goals and then just go for it. just do it.

I want to thank @Carl @Cat H and the other staff members from Oneplus to inspire and motivate me every day.

I want to give special thanks to @EpicSwirly @Wyllliam and @binky for being there for me every day. Also want to thank people from the Dutch section here, @The Joker @GeertBerkers and @silverchaoz

And last but not least @Maximus Decimus Meridius

People want me to keep you guys updated:
    Update 1: september 7th, I applied for student finance a while back. And I got a mail today that everything will be discussed today.
    Update 2: september 8th, I got a mail from college that I will have to do a second test.
    Update 3: september 14th I did not pass the test and can't go to college. I will try again next year.
    Update 4: september 24th I started a course for online marketing from home. If everything goes well I'll get my degree for this in June.
    Update 5: September 24th I have a job interview tomorrow (sept. 25th) to be an assistant digital marketeer. Wish me luck!
    Update 6: September 25th Had my interview, had a blast talking to this woman. She's amazing! A real inspiration. We talked for a hour and a half! Damn!
    Update 7: September 29th I didn't get the job :(
    Update 8: October 29th, I got a job!

tl;dr no, just read it.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015

2. vici0us
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 1, 2015

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015

3. Shuller
    Jelly Bean Sep 1, 2015

4. LightningXIII

5. Krenni

Krenni , Sep 1, 2015 :
    Because who wants to work at One Plus ??

6. LightningXIII

that is not what I said dear.

7. nyzproof333
    KitKat Sep 1, 2015

Takendown, meatandy and Pdajah like this.
  8. Krenni

Krenni , Sep 1, 2015 :
    I know what you write, but its seems like that ;)

9. LightningXIII

You got it wrong. that would be great, but I am not qualified to do so. :)

meatandy, Deepak.Si and pa5t1s like this.
  10. The Joker
    Marshmallow Sep 1, 2015

The Joker , Sep 1, 2015 :
    Thanks happy I m a friend of you @ here :)

Kattis and pa5t1s like this.
  11. LightningXIII

12. LightningXIII

13. HR_778
    KitKat Sep 1, 2015

14. LightningXIII

I am pretty sure that I am not the only one.
    Most people who don't like it. Don't look further than 'they just want money'
    Marketing is a strategy and what Oneplus does is very creative and not stupid at all. I haven't seen a strategy like this one before and that is what makes this company exceptional.

15. Shiron3ko
    Gingerbread Sep 1, 2015

Shiron3ko , Sep 1, 2015 :
    Awesome stuff, pursuing your dream like this. Here's some love and support from someone who's also suffered with depression, keep fighting the good fight and be with those who love you. That's the best therapy I've found :)

Kattis and pa5t1s like this.
  16. LightningXIII

thank you for the support.

I will always keep my loved ones close, and my enemies even closer (and that is something that will help me be a good digital marketeer too! haha!)

17. Shiron3ko
    Gingerbread Sep 1, 2015

Shiron3ko , Sep 1, 2015 :
    I hear marketing is an evil business, you seem well suited then! :p ;)

Deepak.Si and sfomin like this.
  18. LightningXIII

it sure is an evil business. You just have to be one step ahead of your enemy ;)

kevinkrg6, Deepak.Si and Shiron3ko like this.
  19. redleema
    KitKat Sep 1, 2015

redleema , Sep 1, 2015 :
    Fabulous you've found a direction utilising your talent(s) and showing great strength in character in doing so.

Wishing you the very best in your results next week and perseverances thereafter.

meatandy, SoniaB and theshinybeast like this.
  20. Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Marshmallow Senior Moderator Sep 1, 2015

Maximus Decimus Meridius , Sep 1, 2015 :
    Good luck @LightningXIII