Coming From An iPhone 5 And Thoughts On 38R...

1. Cardiiiii
    Froyo Oct 11, 2014

Cardiiiii , Oct 11, 2014 :
    I liked my iPhone 5. It was reliable and it met my demands as a user, but the battery drove me up the wall. I literally had to charge it 3 times a day. I was one of those with the 'faulty battery' that Apple recognised almost two years later. So I took it in to Apple, replaced it with a brand new one and sold it on Gumtree for A$450 which meant I got a 'free' OPO. I tried the invite system which didn't really work out, not that I tried that hard anyway and I ended up buying one from an Australian site. It cost $450 for the 64GB but considering the weak Australian Dollar and freight forwarding cost, I'm assuming it would have cost a similar amount if I ended up ordering from OP anyway.

So I received a Chinese version OPO with CM11s installed, came with 25R. I used it for a week or so and wasn't getting the OTA notifications to 30R and 33R. So I used to OPO Toolkit (thank you to whoever made it) to wipe and install 25R again after which the subsequent OTAs appeared. My only regret was I didn't unlock the bootloader and root it while I did that.

While on 33R, battery wasn't as good as 25R, but it was good enough, one full day of use with enough juice leftover. I don't understand people who want to stretch it two, three days. If you have the opportunity to charge, just charge your phone. I always prefer starting my day with a full 100%, but that's just me. The only major annoyance I had was the touch issue. I don't know what the definition of a 'ghost touch' is, but for me the issue was the touch screen couldn't keep up with my rate of typing. I use both thumbs and if I typed too fast it just couldn't keep up. I didn't have any of the major issues as mentioned by other users such as random reboots, the yellow tinge on the screen, etc.

One thing I did notice was when I 'denied' Android System from keeping the system awake, the phone wouldn't wake up on double tap or using the power button. I had to press and hold the power button and the spinning CM logo would appear and then the lockscreen would appear. It happened a couple of times and the problem disappeared after I 'allowed' Android System to keep the system awake again.

A couple of days ago I received the OTA notification, but not before I manually checked pretty much every hour since it was announced. It installed with no major issues. And after a couple of days of using it the battery has certainly improved. If it is the same as 25R, that I do not know, but it definitely has improved and I'm not one to download apps and measure power consumption. The touchscreen issues have disappeared, it can now keep up with my pace of typing. So it's all good.

The only annoyance I have now, and this has carried over from all previous versions I've used is the auto-brightness. I feel it doesn't adjust as fast as I am used to on my iPhone 5 and iPad. It seems to take a while to adjust. In everyday use and I tried in a dark room by shining a flashlight at it. And also the minimum brightness in a dark room is too much. It's too bright when I check my phone in the middle of the night or early mornings. Does anyone have the same feelings about this? If there are enough people maybe we can raise a ticket and get it fixed for the next OTA.

That's about it. Overall the 38R is a great update. Everyone is going to have mixed reviews and the best way is to find out for yourself.

2. Hanson Lee
    Marshmallow Oct 11, 2014

gheorghiu, parth132 and Moon93 like this.
  3. Moon93
    Honeycomb Oct 11, 2014

4. Lunatasian
    KitKat Oct 11, 2014

Lunatasian , Oct 11, 2014 :
    Awesome! Hope you love your switch!

5. Zachsaxe
    Lollipop Oct 11, 2014

Zachsaxe , Oct 11, 2014 :
    Where the f*** is my update

Moon93 likes this.
  6. vantt1
    Jelly Bean Oct 11, 2014

vantt1 , Oct 11, 2014 :
    How do you find the sensitivity of the screen compared to the iPhone 5?

7. Frederick
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 11, 2014

Frederick , Oct 11, 2014 :
    Agree with the brightness too bright when in complete darkness. I have to turn off auto brightness for that. Auto brightness does take a second or 2 to adjust. I'm OK with that though.

8. adel1406
    Gingerbread Oct 11, 2014

9. Cardiiiii
    Froyo Oct 11, 2014

Cardiiiii , Oct 11, 2014 :
    I'm not sure how to differentiate the sensitivity, but the iPhone has superior accuracy, i.e. what I press on screen is what I get. Sometimes with the OPO, whether it's typing or browsing the menu, I feel the touchscreen isn't as accurate, i.e. I have to be touch exactly what I want on the OPO.

Linanc7 and vantt1 like this.
  10. Nestor Sullivan
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 11, 2014

Nestor Sullivan , Oct 11, 2014 :
    The support desk could use a guy like you

Cardiiiii likes this.
  11. gaster
    Moderator Moderator Oct 11, 2014

gaster , Oct 11, 2014 :
    38R is love :p

You can install it manually if you don't want to wait guys ;)

12. carbine30
    Marshmallow Oct 11, 2014

carbine30 , Oct 11, 2014 :
    good post and good to hear that you finally got you OP, the thing i noticed from the brightness as i used iSheep products before, that what really hurts the eyes is the retina display for just being able to read or use.
    As for the ONE, bringing the brightness to the minimum and using the phone in complete darkness is bright or too bright that might be eye disturbing, it might be some how more sensitive eyes to light compared to others. IMHO

13. FishieGoRawr
    Cupcake Oct 11, 2014

14. FishieGoRawr
    Cupcake Oct 11, 2014

15. FishieGoRawr
    Cupcake Oct 11, 2014

16. Zachsaxe
    Lollipop Oct 11, 2014

I want it through ota don't ask why I just do

17. FishieGoRawr
    Cupcake Oct 11, 2014

18. FishieGoRawr
    Cupcake Oct 11, 2014

19. gaster
    Moderator Moderator Oct 11, 2014

gaster , Oct 11, 2014 :
    So be patient ;)

20. Zachsaxe
    Lollipop Oct 11, 2014

How can someone be patient when it came at Tuesday I think I was patient enough waiting to get this phone. At the same time I don't know if I want the update with all the people complaining about it.