Community 2.0 is here

1. Mike Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 26, 2016

Mike, Feb 26, 2016 :
    Friends,

In the beginning, I was drawn to this smartphone company that specifically asked for users’ input and used that to change the whole game. These forums were the starting point of something quite unique and it became a natural home to an entire movement that we referred to as “never settle”.

Well. Since then, a lot has happened. I, for one, went from being an eager fan to an employee. OnePlus has gone from something that we hoped could have an effect to a force to be reckoned with. This forum has stayed virtually the same throughout, with the exception of small-time hacks that sought to patch things that were obviously not working - for example, when threads with vital information kept getting buried.

A few months ago I posted a thread where I attempted to collect your opinions about what we should do with this community. The level of engagement, and the polarized emotions, were not unexpected at all. I know a lot of you feel very strongly about a lot of these things. So, as we started working on an overhaul, we decided early on that the only reasonable thing is to bring the entire community into this build, while we build it.

What we’re launching now is the first step, the Community 2.0 beta. For now, it’s almost purely a visual overhaul that brings the forum more in line with the rest of our web presence - that means the underlying processes and functions are unchanged. You’ll still post, like, and attach GIFs as usual. Future iterations of this platform, however, look to change that.

That’s where we want to bring you guys on board. When this overhaul went live, we opened a subforum called Community feedback. If you have anything you’d like to share, we’re all ears. Even more importantly, however, you can check out this thread where our web mastermind @Kiki W explains the functions that we are looking to build in the near future and why. Your input is vital to how this comes out.

We appreciate your help in building these forums with us. Let’s make Community 2.0 by users for users.

2. kezheng Honeycomb Feb 26, 2016

kezheng, Feb 26, 2016 :
    Looks great so far!

It's so much more intuitive and feature filled!! I especially like the top navigation bar with the dropdown menus for all the subforums

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016

3. Timo Salola Honeycomb Feb 26, 2016

Timo Salola, Feb 26, 2016 :
    Yay, a couple of things might be worth adjusting:
    • This message edit box popup is a bit odd.
    • The regions drop down menu is a bit slow to use when your country isn't listed.
    • On desktop, would be pretty sweet to have box under forum statistic showing the last threads in which the user has replied to. And either the amount of new messages or maybe even the first x letters of the messages.
    Ps. those protein shakes aren't good for you. Get some soylent.

Chuck and gautamhans1 like this.
  4. feluda Lollipop Feb 26, 2016

5. rphlfjrd Lollipop Feb 26, 2016

Dougrunge likes this.
  6. samule.wu Cupcake Feb 26, 2016

7. Eshan_Anand Jelly Bean Feb 26, 2016

Eshan_Anand, Feb 26, 2016 :
    Looks very good and fresh :) nice work done @Mike @Adam Krisko

Observations:
    1. On mobile, Names don't come up along with the dp.
    2. On mobile, While editing a post all the previous text alphabetically comes in a vertical fashion until i scroll up and down completely.
    3. On mobile, Previously we had a forum link on top of the page which i used to refresh or navigate back to home page from any page but no such option now.
    4. On mobile, As we have limited screen size i dont think we require an extra tab as recommendations to follow a member, it eats up a lot of extra space until you come to threads.

Robert Powers and johmss like this.
  8. Linanc7 Lollipop Feb 26, 2016

9. Excalibur60 Froyo Feb 26, 2016

10. zaphod-beeblebrox KitKat Feb 26, 2016

11. feluda Lollipop Feb 26, 2016

12. dsbarker92 Eclair Feb 26, 2016

13. dsbarker92 Eclair Feb 26, 2016

dsbarker92, Feb 26, 2016 :
    I can also agree with this. Tested with a few different searches.

feluda likes this.
  14. mansory Donut Feb 26, 2016

15. Mike Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 26, 2016

Mike, Feb 26, 2016 :
    Yeah, well... at least it's not worse than before.

eye842, Mr. BG and feluda like this.
  16. NoNoZaZa Froyo Feb 26, 2016

NoNoZaZa, Feb 26, 2016 :
    Links inside the text should get some highlighting like before, I barely could find the link in the original post (on mobile, that is). I also think the like, reply and quote buttons should stay red because it looks pretty boring without this.

andy.z likes this.
  17. feluda Lollipop Feb 26, 2016

feluda, Feb 26, 2016 :
    Can't we integrate Google custom search in there ?

18. Manas Eapen Jelly Bean Feb 26, 2016

19. Dougrunge Lollipop Feb 26, 2016

Dougrunge, Feb 26, 2016 :
    Please back to the old way, when you tag a person. Put that name in red. Cause you don't know now if you tagged good or not :( :p

feluda likes this.
  20. feluda Lollipop Feb 26, 2016