[Community Workshop X Shot On OnePlus August] – Nightscape

1. Daniel D.
    Community Team Staff Member Aug 1, 2021

Daniel D. , Aug 1, 2021 :
    Community Banner for SOOP.jpg

A Creative Director & Photographer, Gareth Pon is a third culture kid, world traveler and lover of all things creative. Gareth is a multi-disciplinary creative but loves photographing landscapes, people and cities.

Dear friends, as you can recall, @Gareth Pon hosted Volume 2 of Community Workshop - Landscape. Shooting at night or in the low light situations might seem to be challenging for some, often resulting in blurred or pictures that aren't crisp, hence we have Gareth sharing very practical tips in this volume of Community Workshop.

We also hope this workshop also inspires you to shoot and share stunning nightscape photos as part of August's Shot on OnePlus contest, in this very same thread.

Without further ado, let's get into the workshop and I hope you guys can get something out of it.

[​IMG]

How do you capture nightscapes using the OnePlus 9 Pro?

I really love how cities come alive at night, it’s actually my favorite time to take photos. Because you’re not dealing with natural light, you can take your time to compose a really beautiful image.

[​IMG]

First things first, you want to find a really iconic location. That space comes alive, depending on the amount of light, the kind of light, and the color of light within the space. Everything works together to create a really beautiful nightscape.

[​IMG]

In my case, I went to Union Station in Denver. I love the architecture within the station because there’s a lot of curves, beautiful lines, and a ton of perspective. There is also an iconic sign that overlooks the station that is a different color from the rest of the scene and this really pops and balances the image well because I can frame it at the top-left intersection of the grid.

[​IMG]

I like to leave the starlight filter on when I’m shooting in nightscape mode. Tap the little button on the side of the frame to activate this filter, this will add a starburst to all your light sources within your image. It’s actually traditionally really hard to get starbursts within an image, but this filter makes this really easy.

[​IMG]

Nightscape mode does a really good job of taking out all the guesswork when you’re out taking photos at night. This makes life a lot easier and you can just focus on adventuring and exploring your city and finding those locations that have the best amount of light. One thing to keep in mind is that you should stay really still when taking a photo, this will avoid any blur in the image and help the camera expose the scene a lot better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last feature that will help you capture nightscapes is tripod mode, it works really well to compose an image at night. What it does is expose an image for 8-30 seconds and all you have to do is hold still while to avoid any blur within the image.

[​IMG]

Shooting at night is always fun, it’s personally my favorite time to shoot. It lets you explore your city and really navigate spaces super well. It challenges your creativity and helps you see photography in a completely different light.

Contest Rules
    • 1 winner per week (1-7/8-14/15-21/22-end of the month), 4 winners per month who all will receive OnePlus Nord Swag.
    • 3 pictures max. per post, 4 posts max. in the whole month
    • All pictures have to be taken within the past 12 months, otherwise, it is an invalid entry.
    • State the specific device/ editing software/ hardware (extra lenses)
    • OnePlus reserves the right to request original photo files before fulfilling prizes if plagiarism is suspected. The photos that can not be verified are disqualified.
    • Copyright infringement is strictly prohibited. Users who post pictures that were copied from the internet, or were not taken with a OnePlus device, get a code of conduct warning, plus a reply-ban for the contest for the actual plus the following two months.
    • Terms and Conditions applied.

How Do We Select Winners?

The pre-selection team
    consists of: @Bouncer71, @cdnfarmer, @hennes, @otto2, @script, @TibiTibi, and @woSch. We check all pictures of the contest, discuss, which we think are the best, and collect them in a separate thread. Then I will do a second round through that collection and nominate the 4 or 5 best pictures of the current week. Out of this elite, the final weekly winning picture gets selected. It's really a long and careful process.

Finally, the selected picture has to get checked! Therefore it's needed to contact the person that has posted the picture, ask them to send in the original uncompressed file, to get the EXIF data checked. Only after that final check, the winning picture can be announced in the forum.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing your epic photos!

2. script
    Moderator Moderator Aug 1, 2021

3. Erin C.
    Community Intern Staff Member Aug 13, 2021

Stickied Post

4. Erin C.
    Community Intern Staff Member Aug 19, 2021

Stickied Post
    Erin C. , Aug 19, 2021 :
    Winner of the Second Week
    1672282-2b4f628be354c1a1d2c8eafda79738f9.jpg
    By bhaumikbheda
    Name of the photo: Starry Night w/ Reflections
    Device used: Oneplus 9 Pro
    Editing software used: Lightroom

5. Erin C.
    Community Intern Staff Member Aug 26, 2021

Stickied Post
    Erin C. , Aug 26, 2021 :
    Winner of the Third Week
    [​IMG]

By atenaa
    Name of the photo:Largo Carlos Amarante
    Device used: Oneplus 7 Pro
    Editing software used: Snapseed

6. Elyn Lu
    Community Intern Staff Member Sep 8, 2021

Stickied Post
    Elyn Lu , Sep 8, 2021 :
    Winner of the Forth Week
    [​IMG]
    By TibiTibi
    Name of the photo: Light trails
    Device used: Oneplus 8T
    Editing software used: None

WakeAwake, 1seidla, script and 8 others like this.
  7. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016; Most Active User 2020 Aug 1, 2021

Dresa91 , Aug 1, 2021 :
    Thank you @Daniel D. for this workshop and contest:)🤗
    Good luck everyone:)

8. dom_k
    The Lab - OnePlus 9 Pro Reviewer Aug 1, 2021

dom_k , Aug 1, 2021 :
    Thank you for the contest @Daniel D. 😊 @Gareth Pon show us some pretty skills here. The way how he captured the mood in this location is just spot on.

Here is my 1st entry from my hometown Krnov, Czech Republic

Square full of sakuras in the rain
    IMG_20210513_214200-01-01-01.jpg
    Shot on 9 Pro with Nightscape mode (Main lens), tripod used and slightly edited in Snapseed

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021

9. Overzee
    The Showcase Reviewer Aug 1, 2021

Overzee , Aug 1, 2021 :
    Thanks @Daniel D. for this wonderfully themed contest. Good luck to all participants 🍀
    Would love to see more like this 🤩

10. Yash Pratap Singh.
    Lollipop Aug 1, 2021

11. nerdkabir
    Jelly Bean Aug 1, 2021

12. authenticdemon
    Froyo Aug 1, 2021

Sum1975, eastbay, BetiK and 3 others like this.
  13. G_plusone
    Nougat Aug 1, 2021

14. Sravankumarjangam
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus Nord 2 Aug 1, 2021

Adesh.sanmukh, BetiK, atenaa and 2 others like this.
  15. Starcommander
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Aug 1, 2021

16. bhaumikbheda
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 1, 2021

bhaumikbheda , via OnePlus 9 Pro Pine Green , Aug 1, 2021 :
    Thank you for the wonderful workshop and contest theme, Daniel! Nightscape is one of my favorite 😀🙌❤️

All the pictures are shot on OnePlus 9 Pro
    1627803157336.jpg
    Glowing Cityscape
    Pro Mode Settings - ISO 100, SS 3" Handheld
    Edited on Lightroom Mobile App said:

1627803157414.jpg
    Post Sunset Glows
    Pro Mode Settings - ISO 100, SS 2.5" Handheld
    Edited on Lightroom Mobile App

1627803157492.jpg
    Lightning in the Cloud
    Pro Mode Settings - ISO 100, SS 0.4", Handheld

I prefer shooting in Pro Mode vs the in-built Nightscape Mode, hence preventing the shot from being captured at a higher ISO. 🙂

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021

17. SRD.
    Lollipop Aug 1, 2021

SRD. , Aug 1, 2021 :
    A wonderful contest to start the month with @Daniel D.

This is not only a difficult theme but a great Challenge. For those who have OP9pro, this is a real test of their camera.

Would love to see a lot of light work in the dark.

Took a pic in Nightscape mode few months back.
    All the best to the participants.

1627807000088.jpg

Attached Files:

eastbay, DIA00, cdnfarmer and 16 others like this.
  18. blueskywhale
    The Lab - OnePlus 9 Pro Reviewer Aug 1, 2021

blueskywhale , Aug 1, 2021 :
    Great Post and yet another challenging contest for the community. thanks Daniel

Here are some Long Exposure Entries

Device Oneplus 9 Pro
    Processed in Lightroom Mobile

Pro Mode settings
    ISO : 1600
    WB : 3600
    Shutter : 15s
    EV : 0
    Focus : Manual Focus - Infinity
    RAW Image

sea promode raw_001.jpg

Device Oneplus 9 Pro

Pro Mode
    WB : 3900
    Shutter Speed : 20s
    Focus : Infinity

40 Images stacked for the Star Trail created

Star Trail color graded.jpg

Device Oneplus 9 Pro

Pro Mode
    WB : 3900
    Shutter Speed : 20s
    Focus : Infinity

Stars graded.jpg

19. Mila__
    Froyo Aug 1, 2021

20. Iamhasannaqvi
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 1, 2021

Iamhasannaqvi , via OnePlus 7 , Aug 1, 2021 :
    Entry for the first week. SOOP - Nightscape
    These photos were shot on OnePlus 7 and were edited in Lightroom.

1) A fountain and A Mosque.
    IMG_20210317_192217 (3).jpg

2) Fish Tank.
    IMG_20210711_120523.jpg

3) Family
    IMG_20210521_190832 (4).jpg

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021

1seidla, DIA00, Bouncer71 and 7 others like this.
  21. atenaa
    KitKat Aug 1, 2021

atenaa , Aug 1, 2021 :
    Thanks @Daniel D. for hosting this amazing contest! I'm sure we will see amazing and prime quality photos! 🤩🤩

22. jlasensiofi
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9 Series Aug 1, 2021

jlasensiofi , Aug 1, 2021 :
    Wow, wow, wow! Great topic for this month, @Daniel D.! :) And fantastic shots @Gareth Pon :hearteyes:

I love night photography. I hope I can make my contributions, although it will be difficult to take photos as good as the ones I am seeing. They are great.

Good luck to all and enjoy ;)

23. jlasensiofi
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9 Series Aug 1, 2021

jlasensiofi , Aug 1, 2021 :
    Wooooooooow, some wonderful photos! :hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes: The competition will be tough :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

24. Mila__
    Froyo Aug 1, 2021