[Community Workshop X Shot On OnePlus October] – Flatlay Photography

1. Elyn Lu
    Community Intern Oct 1, 2021

Elyn Lu , Oct 1, 2021 :
    SOOP Oct..jpg
    A Creative Director & Photographer, Gareth Pon is a third culture kid, world traveler and lover of all things creative. Gareth is a multi-disciplinary creative but loves photographing landscapes, people and cities.

Dear friends, I believe that you are quite familiar with @Gareth Pon by now, the host of this workshop's Volume 2 of Community Workshop - Landscape, Volume 4 - Nightscape, and Volume 5 - Portraits.

We know that many of you have lots of cool OnePlus merchandise but haven't thought of capturing them in a format that is clear and neat. In addition, some of us might need tips and tricks on how to compose the picture of our gadgets to perhaps apply to The Lab and The Lab². That's why we invited Gareth to share very practical tips in this volume of Community Workshop.

We hope this edition of Community Workshop inspires you to shoot and share creative flat lay photos as part of October's Shot on OnePlus contest, in this very same thread. Without further ado, let's get into the workshop and I hope you guys can get something out of it.

//
    UPDATE on October 8TH 2021
    To clarify, you do not need to own OnePlus Merchandise to enter this month's SOOP. There are all sorts of collages that can be done with this theme.
    The following are some examples to help spark some ideas.
    1) music CD collection, with headphones, an mp3 player...
    2) book collection with reading glasses and a cup of coffee
    3) Cooking utensils
    4) sports gear
    5) DVD / Blu-ray collection
    6) Photography gear
    //

微信截图_20210929144949.png

You can have a lot of fun at home showcasing some of your favorite items, with a little bit of styling and art direction you can create some really beautiful flat lays.

So first things first, you want to collect all your favorite items and set them aside. I’ve got some OnePlus accessories, some of my favorite items that I’ve collected over the years, and a few details here and there to make the image look really interesting.

The second step is you want to find a location at home that has a lot of really beautiful natural light and a nice textured background. You want to avoid any overhead light because that will create a gross shadow when you’re taking a photo. The best way to do that is to find a window that has light coming in from the side. I selected a section in the house with some beautiful light next to a large window, I rolled back a rug to make some extra space and it revealed a beautiful wooden floor underneath that would act as my canvas. I really love using textured backgrounds for flat lays, the reason being once the items are laid out they contrast really well against that background.

Once you’ve gathered all your items and determined where your location is, you want to start laying the items out as if there was an invisible grid. The more structure you create, the better your flat lay will look. Start with the bigger items and place them strategically within the frame so they align with each other. As you build the structure by laying the items out, you’ll start seeing the image form and the flat lay building itself out. Once you have the bigger items placed, start looking for empty spaces within the flat lay and add smaller little details within the space. Smaller items really give the entire flat lay those little details to fill it out and make it look great.

So now that you’ve arranged your items really beautifully and neatly, I would recommend turning on the grid on your phone. This will help you to align the actual image to the frame of the camera. Try adding a little personal touch to your image by including your feet in the image.

Once your items are arranged neatly you want to stand next to it and extend your arms over the flat lay and make your OnePlus parallel to the ground. This will make sure your image looks flat and pull out the details and the structure of the visual.

Do the last step and snap the image of your flat lay!

Now that you’ve learned to style and art direct a beautiful flat lay at home you can reuse this process in different locations.

IMG_20210813_000634.jpg

Contest Rules
    • 1 winner per week (1-7/8-14/15-21/22-end of the month), 4 winners per month who all will receive a Limited OnePlus Explorer Backpack (Slate Black).
    • 3 pictures max. per post, 4 posts max. in the whole month
    • All pictures have to be taken within the past 12 months, otherwise, it is an invalid entry.
    • State the specific device/ editing software/ hardware (extra lenses)
    • OnePlus reserves the right to request original photo files before fulfilling prizes if plagiarism is suspected. The photos that can not be verified are disqualified.
    • Copyright infringement is strictly prohibited. Users who post pictures that were copied from the internet, or were not taken with a OnePlus device, get a code of conduct warning, plus a reply-ban for the contest for the actual plus the following two months.
    • Terms and Conditions applied.
    How Do We Select Winners?

The pre-selection team consists of: @Bouncer71, @cdnfarmer, @hennes, @otto2, @script, @TibiTibi, and @woSch. We check all pictures of the contest, discuss, which we think are the best, and collect them in a separate thread. Then I will do a second round through that collection and nominate the 4 or 5 best pictures of the current week. Out of this elite, the final weekly winning picture gets selected. It's really a long and careful process.

Finally, the selected picture has to get checked! Therefore it's needed to contact the person that has posted the picture, ask them to send in the original uncompressed file, to get the EXIF data checked. Only after that final check, the winning picture can be announced in the forum.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing your epic photos!

2. script
    Moderator Moderator Oct 1, 2021

3. Daniel D.
    Community Team Staff Member Oct 8, 2021

Stickied Post
    Daniel D. , Oct 8, 2021 :
    Hello @atenaa the flat lay does not have to be with OnePlus merchandise. As long as it fits the theme of flat lay

4. Daniel D.
    Community Team Staff Member Oct 8, 2021

Stickied Post
    Daniel D. , Oct 8, 2021 :
    Hello @hennes.

Thank you for the feedback.

1. It's not about photographing OnePlus merchandise but rather exploring a trending photography style
    2. The workshop SOOP series focuses on specific styles, hence why this one is focusing on a specific style
    3. On this month's theme specifically, you can try to be creative by composing on the subject, lighting, props, and background, etc.

"broken OnePlus phones and torn OnePlus t-shirts on a dirty floor and creative photographed by making it look like destruction"
    This sounds like something I would like, especially from a bird's eye view. We definitely welcome it if you have something as described above to share.

5. Elyn Lu
    Community Intern Oct 21, 2021

Stickied Post

6. Elyn Lu
    Community Intern Oct 21, 2021

Stickied Post
    Elyn Lu , Oct 21, 2021 :
    Winner of the Second Week
    [​IMG]
    By Iamhasannaqvi
    Name of the photo: Looking Through Mirror.
    Device used: OnePlus 7
    Editing software used: Adobe Lightroom

7. Elyn Lu
    Community Intern Oct 25, 2021

Stickied Post
    Elyn Lu , Oct 25, 2021 :
    Winner of the Third Week
    [​IMG]

By Overzee
    Name of the photo: Fatherhood is always 'one step ahead'.
    Device used: OnePlus Nord 2 5G
    Editing software used: no editing, just leveled the original picture with OnePlus Gallery

script, cdnfarmer, Bouncer71 and 13 others like this.
  8. Elyn Lu
    Community Intern Nov 2, 2021

Stickied Post

9. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016; Most Active User 2020 Community Expert Oct 1, 2021

10. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer; Community Hero 2020 Community Expert Oct 1, 2021

YRJ , Oct 1, 2021 :
    When taking flat lays in the past, getting the feet in the frame was indeed an issue. But to not see it as a limitation and include it in the photo to elevate the aesthetic value is genial!

Thanks @Gareth Pon and @Elyn Lu for this workshop. I have a few OnePlus swag at home, I'll try out this trick to shoot a compelling photo.

11. script
    Moderator Moderator Oct 1, 2021

script , Oct 1, 2021 :
    Lets see how creative this will be.

Good luck and have fun all.

12. Helder_DAlmeida
    Marshmallow Oct 1, 2021

bhaumikbheda, atenaa, script and 4 others like this.
  13. McJader
    Marshmallow Oct 1, 2021

McJader , Oct 1, 2021 :
    Just so I am clear I understood corrrectly, the pictures to be shared for this SoOP are supposed to be in flat lay format? Or no?
    Question answered.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021

eastbay, woSch, rasta_firasta and 7 others like this.
  14. Overzee
    Junior Moderator, The Showcase Reviewer Junior Moderator Oct 1, 2021

Overzee , Oct 1, 2021 :
    This is a truly cool theme! I know a lot of community members, including myself, have gathered awesome OnePlus stuff over the years. This is a great opportunity to capture them all in one beautiful shot! Good luck everyone on creating that SOOP shot! 🍀

15. Starcommander
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Oct 1, 2021

16. Iamhasannaqvi
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 1, 2021

Iamhasannaqvi , via OnePlus 7 , Oct 1, 2021 :
    Exactly! I was thinking of capturing photos of stuff I've gathered until now and this is the great opportunity to showcase those.

17. Pravin2999
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 1, 2021

18. SoniaB
    Community Hero 2020 Oct 1, 2021

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021

19. camohan
    Assistant Head Moderator Assistant Head Moderator Oct 1, 2021

camohan , Oct 1, 2021 :
    May to avoid too much fan following? Balancing is an art.

20. SoniaB
    Community Hero 2020 Oct 1, 2021

SoniaB , Oct 1, 2021 :
    I thought it was the sudden realization that the bucket hat is indeed hideous and will not make anyone look or feel beautiful.

Good for concealing a bald head. Probably why @dsmonteiro likes them so much :rolleyes:

21. camohan
    Assistant Head Moderator Assistant Head Moderator Oct 1, 2021

camohan , Oct 1, 2021 :
    Point.
    But I think following will suit @dsmonteiro more

images (2) (4).jpeg

22. SRD.
    Lollipop Oct 1, 2021

SRD. , Oct 1, 2021 :
    So, the Techtober workshop is about Creative Photography.
    All the best to the participants. 'll try to post some.

23. W1598001264225
    Gingerbread Oct 1, 2021

Adesh.sanmukh likes this.
  24. Antonio_Luis
    The Lab² - Oclean X Pro Elite Reviewer Oct 1, 2021

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021

25. maarten_lisboa
    The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Oct 1, 2021

maarten_lisboa , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Oct 1, 2021 :
    So only "creative" flat lay photography is wanted in this creative photography contest? I would change the title if so..
    creativity. /ˌkriːeɪˈtɪvɪti/ said:
    noun
    the use of imagination or original ideas to create something; inventiveness.
    So asking only for a format that has been used over and over again instead of trying to motivate the creativity of the community isn't a creative photography contest.
    Or is this just a weekly theme?
    Anyway, I miss the days of never settling
    Just my thoughts,
    Enjoy the Contest

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021

26. H.ELK
    Honeycomb Oct 2, 2021

Adesh.sanmukh likes this.