[Community Workshop X Shot On OnePlus September] – Portraits

1. Elyn Lu
    Community Intern Staff Member Sep 1, 2021

Elyn Lu , Sep 1, 2021 :
    upload_2021-8-30_16-5-31.png
    A Creative Director & Photographer, Gareth Pon is a third culture kid, world traveler and lover of all things creative. Gareth is a multi-disciplinary creative but loves photographing landscapes, people and cities.

Dear friends, as you can recall, @Gareth Pon hosted Volume 2 of Community Workshop with the topic Landscape. He also taught how to shoot at night or in low light situations in August's Shot on OnePlus contest. Shooting people's facial expressions and emotions might seem to be challenging for some, and that's why we invite Gareth to share very practical tips in this volume of Community Workshop.

We also hope this workshop inspires you to shoot and share stunning portraits photos as part of September's Shot on OnePlus contest, in this very same thread.

Without further ado, let's get into the workshop and I hope you guys can get something out of it.

How do you capture portraits using the OnePlus 9 Pro?
    I really love working with people, it’s the funniest part about creating portraits and being able to capture the expression and the emotion within a photograph.

PHOTO_20210830_180717139.jpg

Today I’m going to teach you all about portraiture. The OnePlus 9 Pro has some really beautiful natural color calibration, which is great for skin tones. I’m excited to teach you guys how to work with a model and take some really compelling portraits.

PHOTO_20210830_181654718.jpg
    PHOTO_20210830_182406866.jpg
    [​IMG]

One of the most important things to be aware of when taking photos of people is how the light affects your subject. Light highlights the skin tones, it can place your subject really well in an image and help craft an image artistically so you can convey a specific emotion or expression.

There are three different light types to be aware of.

Firstly is very harsh light. Harsh light is more artistic, you have to be very aware of how the shadows are falling and you have to be very intentional of how you place your subject in the harsh light to best convey the emotion you’re looking for.

Secondly you can also place your subjects in the shade, this creates a very even lighting across their face and also highlights the skin tones in a very flattering way.

Lastly and probably my most favourite time to capture photos of models is during golden hour. Golden hour does a really good job of making skin tones pop so you can create some really compelling portraits.

IMG_20210422_183822.jpg IMG_20210422_183901.jpg IMG_20210422_183908.jpg IMG_20210422_184006.jpg
    IMG_20210422_183951.jpg IMG_20210422_183954.jpg

Now that you understand how light affects your subject, you want to also focus on the vantage point of where you place your model in the frame.

The closer you get to a model, the more intimate the image feels, the further you get away from a model, the more editorial it feels. I encourage you guys to experiment with both of these to discover your own creative expression when taking photos of models.

PHOTO_20210830_182847779.jpg

The last thing to be aware of when taking photos of models is how they place themselves in an environment. Obviously, this is something that you’ll direct and help the model feel most comfortable within a space. I love being able to contrast my subject with the background. Sometimes that means color, sometimes that means texture, but either way, you want to have the model stand out from their background.

PHOTO_20210830_183045715.jpg
    Another thing I love doing is creating scale within my portraits, sometimes that means making a model really small within the frame to create a really different perspective.

[​IMG]

The most important thing though is to make sure that you’re always having fun, that dynamic of being able to work with a model and direct the model makes things a lot easier and avoids any awkward moments. Essentially the camera will capture the emotion that the model is feeling, so the more comfortable your model feels, the more beautiful your photos will be.

PHOTO_20210830_183311872.jpg
    IMG_20210422_181245.jpg
    IMG_20210422_181248.jpg

So go explore, find a model, a friend, an animal (maybe your pet!), or even some inanimate objects that you can pose as your model. Figure out what your dynamic is when you’re taking portraits. I’m really excited to see what you guys create!

Contest Rules
    • 1 winner per week (1-7/8-14/15-21/22-end of the month), 4 winners per month who all will receive OnePlus Never Settle Embroidered Hoodie (Black).
    • 3 pictures max. per post, 4 posts max. in the whole month
    • All pictures have to be taken within the past 12 months, otherwise, it is an invalid entry.
    • State the specific device/ editing software/ hardware (extra lenses)
    • OnePlus reserves the right to request original photo files before fulfilling prizes if plagiarism is suspected. The photos that can not be verified are disqualified.
    • Copyright infringement is strictly prohibited. Users who post pictures that were copied from the internet, or were not taken with a OnePlus device, get a code of conduct warning, plus a reply-ban for the contest for the actual plus the following two months.
    • Terms and Conditions applied.
    How Do We Select Winners?

The pre-selection team consists of: @Bouncer71, @cdnfarmer, @hennes, @otto2, @script, @TibiTibi, and @woSch. We check all pictures of the contest, discuss, which we think are the best, and collect them in a separate thread. Then I will do a second round through that collection and nominate the 4 or 5 best pictures of the current week. Out of this elite, the final weekly winning picture gets selected. It's really a long and careful process.

Finally, the selected picture has to get checked! Therefore it's needed to contact the person that has posted the picture, ask them to send in the original uncompressed file, to get the EXIF data checked. Only after that final check, the winning picture can be announced in the forum.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing your epic photos!

2. script
    Moderator Moderator Sep 1, 2021

3. TibiTibi
    Photography Expert Sep 15, 2021

Stickied Post
    TibiTibi , Sep 15, 2021 :
    @atenaa @BetiK @Dresa91 @Helder_DAlmeida @RacerZ

Note: these are my and maybe only my personal opinions.

🤔
    I would say a photo of a person is not the same as portrait. It's more than just an everyday click or selfie or any click in portrait mode.

• There should be the intention to produce a portrait.
    I can just extend Betik's words.
    It is about to share the expression, emotion and tell a story of the moment or life.
    • The same i would say about portraying my/others lovely pet. It should be more than just an everyday click. That click could be nice for the photographer itself because he is familiar with that pet. But maybe in public forum/contest that photo should give more than just an everyday click. It should stop me and think about that photo. The pet has also emotions or expressions.
    • Also not living objects can be portrayed, e.g. statues and many more.
    Making a portrait is rather a way of taking the photo which will bring the desired portrait.

Sorry for interruption 😀

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021

blueskywhale, SRD., otto2 and 12 others like this.
  4. Elyn Lu
    Community Intern Staff Member Sep 16, 2021

Stickied Post

5. strafer
    Lollipop Sep 16, 2021

Stickied Post
    strafer , Sep 16, 2021 :
    Ok, the theme of this month is a catastrophe because nobody set limits for interpretation, neither @Garath Pon nor @Elyn Lu.

Let's try with Wikipedia. Even there we can find several explanations, but they have similar tenor.
    from English Wiki:
    A portrait is a painting, photograph, sculpture, or other artistic representation of a person, in which the face and its expression is predominant. The intent is to display the likeness, personality, and even the mood of the person. For this reason, in photography a portrait is generally not a snapshot, but a composed image of a person in a still position. A portrait often shows a person looking directly at the painter or photographer, in order to most successfully engage the subject with the viewer.

from French Wiki: (transl. by deepL)
    The portrait is a graphic genre whose purpose is to represent, in a resemblant way, a person. The term portrait was applied to sculpture in France during the classical period.
    The term is more rarely applied to the representation of an animal, although animals often appear in portraits as characteristic appendages of the person represented, as in the equestrian portrait.
    When the person represented is the author, we speak of a self-portrait.
    Without further precision, a portrait is the image of a person. When several people are represented, it is called a "group portrait".

from German Wiki: (transl. by deepL)
    A portrait is a painting, photograph, sculpture or other representation of a particular person. The portrait often shows only the face of the person. When more than one person is depicted, it is called a double portrait or family portrait or group portrait.

from English Wiki:
    Portrait photography, or portraiture, is a type of photography aimed toward capturing the personality of a person or group of people by using effective lighting, backdrops, and poses. A portrait photograph may be artistic or clinical. Frequently, portraits are commissioned for special occasions, such as weddings, school events, or commercial purposes. Portraits can serve many purposes, ranging from usage on a personal web site to display in the lobby of a business.

from German Wiki: (transl. by deepL)
    Portrait photography is a photographic genre in which portraits of living beings are made; the subjects are usually people, but animal portraits are also frequently created. The goal of artistic portrait photography is usually to photographically bring out the characteristic essence of the person.

So a portrait can show an animal - a pet or beloved animal, no butterflies or snails - but normally doesn't. It is NO snapshot! It definitely does not show things. This should be clear because a photo of a portrait painting is no portrait photo. That doesn't make sense. A portrait shows the face because your back doesn't show your character (normally).

otto2, jlasensiofi, mchaw and 7 others like this.
  6. Elyn Lu
    Community Intern Staff Member Sep 23, 2021 at 3:09 AM

Stickied Post

psygarden, script, maneeshmn and 7 others like this.
  7. McJader
    Marshmallow Sep 1, 2021

McJader , Sep 1, 2021 :
    @Gio567full :D

8. Pinku Reddy
    Gingerbread Sep 1, 2021

Adesh.sanmukh and atenaa like this.
  9. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer; Community Hero 2020 Sep 1, 2021

YRJ , Sep 1, 2021 :
    Love the pictures! Honestly still hard to believe that these were shot on a phone, let alone a OnePlus. Hopefully, with these tips I can shoot better photos. :)

10. Iamhasannaqvi
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 1, 2021

jlasensiofi and Adesh.sanmukh like this.
  11. Iamhasannaqvi

Iamhasannaqvi , via OnePlus 7 , Sep 1, 2021 :
    Here is my entry for the first week. I have been traveling a lot lately and here are few of the memories I made along the way.

These were shot on OnePlus 7 and were edited in Lightroom.

1) Into the wild!🕊️
    1630515999889.jpg

2) Old and Gold 🍁🍂
    1630516000050.jpg

3) Blossom🏵️🏵️
    1630516000170.jpg

SRD., 1seidla, Fc København and 17 others like this.
  12. atenaa
    KitKat Sep 1, 2021

atenaa , Sep 1, 2021 :
    Hy @Elyn Lu 👋 . Are you a new OnePlus intern? If so, welcome to this magnificent community!🤗
    Thank you for hosting September's SOOP and the amazing workshop!😀
    This month's theme is very appealing and I'm sure we will be seeing fantastic portraits!😍
    Nevertheless, I won't participate on this month's contest because I'm uncomfortable to put people's faces on social media.

Good luck everyone!!😀🍀

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021

13. nerdkabir
    Jelly Bean Sep 1, 2021

14. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016; Most Active User 2020 Sep 1, 2021

15. Vinay Raghvani
    Honeycomb Sep 1, 2021

Adesh.sanmukh likes this.
  16. Vinay Raghvani
    Honeycomb Sep 1, 2021

17. bhaumikbheda

Adesh.sanmukh and mallu.achayan like this.
  18. WASIM OnePlus
    Honeycomb Sep 1, 2021

20. Rajnish_Dhull
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 2, 2021

21. Dlappas
    Honeycomb Sep 2, 2021

22. DarshanMeniya
    OnePlus TV Product Ninja 2021 Sep 2, 2021

23. CosmicPaladin
    Jelly Bean Sep 2, 2021

24. Dhruv Kashyap
    Jelly Bean Sep 2, 2021