Compilation of working suggestions/tips to reduce the battery drain faced by COS12/CM12s users

1. damnshah
    Gingerbread May 27, 2015

damnshah , May 27, 2015 :
    Dear all,

I noticed that many if not everyone is facing battery drain issues in the new COS12/CM12s rom. Instead of answering each and every thread posted on the same issue(s), I thought it’d be good to set up a thread compiling all working suggestions.

What I have in mind is that everyone post whatever they find to work to let others test, and if it works then we can put it up on the main page for everyone’s benefit.

I have found the following tips to work for me (and some other users here) on my stock-rooted CM12s and hope it works for you. My thanks and credit to those who suggested it.

1. Go to settings> privacy guard> Google play services (long press it) > disable "keep awake". Disable "auto start". Disable "wake up".

2. Switch off "ambient display" and "adaptive backlight" under display settings.

3. Switch off "search for WiFi automatically" under advance WiFi settings.

4. Switch off "Double tap to wake".

5. Use opera mini and disable chrome (I haven't tested this myself as I don't like opera).

6. calibrate the battery [root required]. Learn how to root here [backup! backup! backup!]

7. Use the version of google play services suggested by @Tekina in this thread
    https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/...play-services-battery-drain-crash-fix.314989/

8. Switch off "OK Google" from any screen. Go to Settings> Language & Input > voice input> Settings icon> "OK Google" Detection> turn off "From Any Screen"

Note: these tips don’t solve the problem but reduces the battery drain.

Update
    I just flashed the incremental update 2I3 and will keep everyone posted. See here for more details

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/yng1tas2i3-ota-released.316865/

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015

Panduh and webdevgirl like this.
  2. damnshah
    Gingerbread May 27, 2015

3. ncraghav15
    Cupcake May 28, 2015

WJvdR likes this.
  4. feluda
    Lollipop May 28, 2015

5. damnshah
    Gingerbread May 28, 2015

damnshah , May 28, 2015 :
    Unfortunately, it is what it is...hence why we should find ways to reduce the battery drain for the time being..

6. jose19679
    Honeycomb May 30, 2015

jose19679 , May 30, 2015 :

7. Sr Vincenzo
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 31, 2015

Sr Vincenzo , May 31, 2015 :
    So...how did this fix go?

8. TheJames
    Jelly Bean May 31, 2015

9. damnshah
    Gingerbread May 31, 2015

damnshah , May 31, 2015 :
    I used the version of Google play services suggested by Mr Al-Amiri from Wednesday to yesterday.

Unfortunately, it didn't make a difference to my battery life/SOT.

Presently trying the latest version of Google play services, as of yesterday. I updated it because I wanted to try Inbox! Will keep everyone posted...

10. vcespon
    Gingerbread May 31, 2015

vcespon , May 31, 2015 :
    Uhhh, boring. I'm getting over 2 days of battery and 7 hours SOT with KitKat.
    And now it seems that latest Lollipop build have random reboots, this is going from bad to worse. Wake me up when there is a Lollipop ROM that works dencently, or maybe we should wait for Android M...

Krusadr likes this.
  11. damnshah
    Gingerbread May 31, 2015

damnshah , May 31, 2015 :
    I'm fine with all the bugs, I like using the latest stock version of cm available.

If I was 1100% focused on battery life and content with using old stuff, I would have stuck to Cupcake or gone back to my Ericsson gf788 ;)

12. KrishPlusOne
    Jelly Bean Jun 12, 2015

KrishPlusOne , Jun 12, 2015 :
    Maybe.. I used to be someone not affected.. But the drain showed up last week. Now it wont even last a full day. I get some 3-4 hours of SOT without heavy usage these days.. I used to get like 5-6 with games. Turns out the problem lies within Lollipop and cant be fixed by Oneplus :(

damnshah likes this.
  13. KrishPlusOne
    Jelly Bean Jun 12, 2015

KrishPlusOne , Jun 12, 2015 :
    You're right about the battery. I did get amazing battery life in Kitkat (look for links in my signature)..But now everything except the battery is spot on

14. damnshah
    Gingerbread Jun 19, 2015

damnshah , Jun 19, 2015 :
    Exactly. Many people dont realise that its an inherent lollipop problem...to make matters worse, they dont try and do anything to fix it but they open threads to just b*tch about it...

KrishPlusOne likes this.
  15. vs1234
    Cupcake Jun 29, 2015

vs1234 , Jun 29, 2015 :
    Mobile standby showing 14% battery drain.

Any suggestions? Have done the earlier things but I really would wish to get the battery life back

16. SathiyXIX
    Gingerbread Jun 29, 2015

SathiyXIX , Jun 29, 2015 :
    I tried most of the suggestions mentioned for other ROMs but I would always get Google play services stopped message to many times. This isn't the best help but for me switching to ownROM fixed my battery drain issues. No privacy guard no nothing just flash the recommended gapps plus ROM and 0% battery drain overnight. Don't know if it is the gapps or the ROM but it helps.

tim31 likes this.
  17. damnshah
    Gingerbread Jun 29, 2015

damnshah , Jun 29, 2015 :
    Could you give us more details of the ROM? Much appreciated..

18. SathiyXIX
    Gingerbread Jun 29, 2015

19. damnshah
    Gingerbread Jul 1, 2015

20. Panduh
    Froyo Sep 8, 2015