Completely hide notch

1. Kerngehirn3 Honeycomb May 20, 2018

Kerngehirn3, May 20, 2018 :
    I was excited when I heard we would be able to hide the notch. Now it seems there's only the option to blacken the status bar and not having apps using the navbar space when full screen.

What I really like to have is the choice to make the notch disappear. I want it to look like the 5t for example. So the area right and left hand of the notch are off. The screen starts under the notch with the usual status bar.

Wouldn't this be the perfect compromise?

How can I request a feature in the forum?

K_Praneeth_Reddy and Salt505 like this.
  2. nitramcek Ice Cream Sandwich May 20, 2018

nitramcek, May 20, 2018 :
    That is really stupid idea!
    Why wouldn't we use the space in the screen when we have it? And notch is not seen if you don't like it. But still have more screen space. Not using it would really be waste of screen.

pauuceda, BuMaha, Abhi Dahiya and 5 others like this.
  3. Photoman9988 KitKat May 20, 2018

Photoman9988, May 20, 2018 :
    This is stupid for two reasons. First, because you would have a huge top bezel for no reason. Second, because that area would have be a completely separate screen to turn that specific area off and have the rest of the screen on.

Abhi Dahiya and MentalDraco like this.
  4. ralxtew Gingerbread May 20, 2018

ralxtew, May 20, 2018 :
    there's already an option to hide the notch, and given the perfect blacks oleds have, it does disappear almost entirely

5. Kerngehirn3 Honeycomb May 21, 2018

Kerngehirn3, May 21, 2018 :
    It's really not a stupid idea. Some people don't like the notch. Because we can only see 4 or 5 icons in status bar for example. Wouldn't really be any waste of screen. It's vadically just a few pixels.

Again, not stupid. The bezel wouldn't be "huge". It would be bigger, but not bigger than in the 5t. And I could live with that as long as I have a fully usable status bar.

You wouldn't need a separate screen. It's oled. You can shut off certain pixels. Just like the round corners on the 5t. They just shut off a few pixels in the corner.

Yes the notch itself disappears. But it takes a big piece of the status bar. I don't like the fact that most icons will only be visible if I expand the status bar. That's not the idea of a status bar.

EDIflyer likes this.
  6. MentalDraco Marshmallow May 21, 2018

MentalDraco, May 21, 2018 :
    I love this mentality :3 hey guys LOOK the notch is so great and useful that we are giving you the option to badly* get rid of it. Fking pointless notch.

7. inffy Nordics POC Assistant Head Moderator May 21, 2018

inffy, May 21, 2018 :
    You better to buy OnePlus 5T or oneplus 5 then.

There is no really good reason to do this the way you are suggesting. You would lose the advantage of the bigger screen.

8. Rusty NZ Marshmallow May 21, 2018

9. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop May 21, 2018

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan, May 21, 2018 :
    may be they want to encourage you to clear your notifications soon, so you don't need a bar full of notifications. so I'm not for this idea.

10. ghostofcain Marshmallow May 21, 2018

ghostofcain, May 21, 2018 :
    That always puzzles me, why do some users want a status bar full of notifications? Is it, maybe, to show they are so busy they don't even have time to clear their notifications?

11. ralxtew Gingerbread May 21, 2018

ralxtew, May 21, 2018 :
    it doesn't work that way. it will still display your notifications on the black bezel, since it's oled

Abhi Dahiya likes this.
  12. Ganci Froyo May 21, 2018

Last edited: May 21, 2018

13. ghostofcain Marshmallow May 21, 2018

ghostofcain, May 21, 2018 :
    I believe you meant FO? Or even maybe FY? Whichever its uncalled for.

Baymax and Ganci like this.
  14. Gav_W86 Starting Point Expert May 21, 2018

15. BuMaha Froyo May 21, 2018

16. AtomicEntity Gingerbread May 21, 2018

AtomicEntity, May 21, 2018 :
    Oneplus 6T will have a notch at the center of the screen so that you can have unrestricted top status bar. :D

SeeBeeEss and ghostofcain like this.
  17. G_Turbo_Rooster_jxyJ Eclair Jan 21, 2019

G_Turbo_Rooster_jxyJ, Jan 21, 2019 :
    if you don't like the notch just don't get a phone with a notch

Bahadirgurcan likes this.
  18. Hydra Bob Starting Point Expert Jan 21, 2019

Hydra Bob, Jan 21, 2019 :
    [​IMG]

Photoman9988 and Kytharsis like this.
  19. Kerngehirn3 Honeycomb Jan 22, 2019

Kerngehirn3, Jan 22, 2019 :
    1. Don't tell me what to do.

2. They told us we would be able to hide the notch. So why don't buy a phone with a notch, if I can make it invisible?
    What they really allow us, to make the notch fit better into the User Interface. The pixel 3xl allows to really hide the notch.

20. G_Turbo_Rooster_jxyJ Eclair Jan 22, 2019

G_Turbo_Rooster_jxyJ, Jan 22, 2019 :
    I can tell anyone anything i want, and your little complaining isn't going to do anything. OnePlus already allows you to hide the notch, and if you have the notch so much that you want to completely black out the space making it another bezel, why would you buy that phone in the first place?