Confirmed! All OnePlus 5 displays are upside-down. Jelly.

1. Suhelgupta221
    Cupcake Jul 1, 2017

Suhelgupta221 , Jul 1, 2017 :
    i too am a victim of jelly scrolling and i just got my device yesterday !!! i am also confused if i shd return the device or keep it. returning the device, getting another one, dont know will solve the issue or not...

omkarhase17 likes this.
  2. BMack
    Froyo Jul 1, 2017

BMack , Jul 1, 2017 :
    No problem here and the only video I seen with the problem they weren't using chrome!

3. Tommy.Gribe
    Froyo Jul 1, 2017

Tommy.Gribe , Jul 1, 2017 :
    I'm not going back to my galaxy s8. Samsung didn't accept a return of my unit. I claimed it was a lot of lag and stuttering while scrolling. Samsung claimed it is a feature in touchwiz os

If I have to choose between a jelly effect I can't see on my op5 compared to lag/bloatware/stuttering on my s8. I will definitely chose op5. Will sell me s8 on eBay...

mick926, rev4512, CraigGB and 2 others like this.
  4. VonSohn
    Eclair Jul 1, 2017

VonSohn , Jul 1, 2017 :
    I can confirm I have the jello effect on mine, but nothing as pronounced as seen on some videos. I hope they issue a patch tough, It's an amazing phone besides that!

5. bpwest80
    KitKat Jul 1, 2017

bpwest80 , Jul 1, 2017 :
    You could try to return it for a replacement but OnePlus said all displays are the same so the replacement would probably be the same way. Even the people that say that don't have the problem do, they just can't see it. Some people just can't see it because it can be so subtle or maybe it's something to do with different people having different eyes and seeing different things. When OnePlus says that all displays are the same and that all are mounted the same way then that means exactly what they say. Some people just don't notice it. OnePlus said the visual effect is normal so it's up to you whether or not it bothers you enough to return it or not.

Gonzo01 likes this.
  6. bpwest80
    KitKat Jul 1, 2017

bpwest80 , Jul 1, 2017 :
    Also, manufacturing date makes no difference. It's obvious when you look through the different threads. People who are just now getting their devices are noticing the scrolling effect the same way people that ordered during the early drop noticed it. You know why? OnePlus explained it. So if it bothers you that much you may just have to go with a different phone from a different company.

7. abhishek.satish
    Froyo Jul 1, 2017

abhishek.satish , Jul 1, 2017 :
    After reading your posts, it is very evident that you have nil experience with Display and Touch Drivers. On top of which you're making very blatantly misinformed posts and agitating others as well.

The GPU does not take any performance hit to flip the image. It doesn't even have to flip the image. It merely writes to registers in the Display Driver IC. The Display Driver then updates the screen with said values. Every industry grade Display Driver has the option to remap the display orientation on a hardware level that allows companies to have flexibility when it comes to the layout of the screen.

As for the recalculation of touch input, that is nonsense too. All Touch Drivers support calibration, everyone knows it. Recalibrating the touch panel is an option everywhere. The calibration values are essentially offsets that map the panel on a register level. So whether you calibrate it vertically or 180 degrees rotated, the compute cycles will remain the same. So there is no performance hit there either.

The Jello Effect is in fact present in every screen due to the fact that screens are updated generally left to right in each column and top to bottom along rows. So there is a compression and expansion when scrolling up and down respectively. And that's what your eyes are used to. So you don't notice it on a normal panel. In the OnePlus 5, since the scanning occurs from the bottom to the top the compression and expansion are reversed, and because it is different from what you are used to, you start noticing it. That's just how the brain works. It only processes delta's/changes. Which is why you get used to a smell over time, or you stop noticing tiny changes in your general surroundings until the difference is vast. Over time it will fade away as your brain becomes used to this being a common phenomenon.

Everyone thinking this is a major issue, it's not. You are still welcome to perceive things as you like and return your phones if you want to. This rant was because I'm tired of seeing misinformed posts.

8. DIMITRIOS KOTZONIS
    Cupcake Jul 1, 2017

DIMITRIOS KOTZONIS , Jul 1, 2017 :
    I wasn't able to see the "jelly" effect on my OP5 before really looking into it after reading all these whining posts all over the place.

It's barely noticeable if you are not aware of it and not at all bad for the use experience in my opinion.

You can only see it happening a little bit when scrolling up AND down consecutively slowly. I seriously doubt anyone does that in a real life scenario and it's not like you can't read or anything.

Should there be a SLIGHT jelly effect ?
    I guess not but I m sure the vast majority won't be bothered by it and some might even like it.

Is it fixable ?
    Time will show...

If you are so annoyed by it just return the phone and stop with all that drama.

9. omkarhase17
    Froyo Jul 1, 2017

omkarhase17 , Jul 1, 2017 :
    did anybody approached one plus via official customer care email and asked for support? if yes what was there reply?...
    upload your screenshot [e]1f609[/e]

10. omkarhase17
    Froyo Jul 1, 2017

thats a wise and true explanation.... it seems as if you have great knowledge about hardware of mobile phones, but do you think this can be fixed by OTA update? I contacted customer care and asked for support , he said that the issue was not there until the last update, it was introduced in latest update, i dont know about it as I updated mine right away (someone please confirm that also) if it can be fixed by ota update then no issue[e]1f60a[/e]

11. inffy
    KitKat Jul 1, 2017

inffy , Jul 1, 2017 :
    Someone just got burrrned hard ;) good post!

Some key points from the XDA article:

Gonzo01 likes this.
  12. bivin123
    Gingerbread Jul 1, 2017

bivin123 , Jul 1, 2017 :
    Now you know why they make better phones and why they are expensive ...

13. omkarhase17
    Froyo Jul 1, 2017

same with me mate,, but the phone is very good, i dont want to return it, I have contacted one plus via official email id, may be you can also approach them.

14. ro32r3
    Eclair Jul 1, 2017

ro32r3 , Jul 1, 2017 :
    I can definitely notice it during regular usage. This is only for people who don't seem to know what the effect really is. I only posted this step-by-step because it is nicer than saying "l0l your eyes cant see it".

15. Chewiemantou
    Cupcake Jul 1, 2017

Chewiemantou , Jul 1, 2017 :
    First did not really understand what people talking about. Yes slow down of text while scrolling sometime can be problem of the website I was scrolling. Then I try to focus on google photo scroll fast no one will able to tell it is about slowly scroll through it and if you are looking for that effect. Like ever so slowly trying to catch up. Same effect can seen on mine note 4 if try upside down the screen. Never settle... is there motto so I am confused hhahahhaa (sad face)

16. bivin123
    Gingerbread Jul 1, 2017

bivin123 , Jul 1, 2017 :
    :D:D:D most probably some OnePlus employ fake account.. nice work ...

But why should someone settle for all this hassales, when there are better phones in the market ??

17. abhishek.satish
    Froyo Jul 1, 2017

Hey there. Thanks. :)

That's entirely upto the hardware layout OnePlus has used. If they preserved the configuration ability of the IC in their design, it should be a simple firmware flash. If they cut costs and complexity there, then it's permanent.

If it did actually come after the update, then for sure it can be fixed with am OTA. But my panel did it out of the box.

rarog, drmartin and omkarhase17 like this.
  18. F_Shanky_Soni_eJHF
    Donut Jul 1, 2017

19. abhishek.satish
    Froyo Jul 1, 2017

XD Thanks for that. I'm honoured.

As for your other question, you're very right. You don't have to settle. The OnePlus 5 comes at this price is by cutting a few corners. QA can be one of them.

One thing you'll understand after going through a few 10's of phones is that, you'll never find the perfect one. Everything is relative.

rarog and drmartin like this.
  20. omkarhase17
    Froyo Jul 1, 2017

thanks brother [e]1f44d[/e]I will keep contacting OP

abhishek.satish likes this.