[CONFIRMED] No Nougat for OP2

1. G_Jeff_Wassel_QlzY
    Eclair Jun 10, 2017

G_Jeff_Wassel_QlzY , Jun 10, 2017 :
    Absolutely outstanding post here. You summed the situation up perfectly. And the situation is grim.

2. spencer1620
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 10, 2017

spencer1620 , Jun 10, 2017 :
    Very well said!
    My opinion is that op2 customers are feeling like second class costumers compared to the op3. They have Nougat and the beta programme. It took an age to get us marshmallow and it also took them an age to release the code for the developers so a lot jumped ship.

now it looks like they are breaking a promise on Nougat and shunning us by keeping quiet.

I've had my op2 for 2 years now and am ready to upgrade but I don't think it will be a op5, I would rather look for a more honest manufacturer.

3. jasonteoch
    Gingerbread Jun 10, 2017

jasonteoch , Jun 10, 2017 :
    even Samsung J7(2015) which is not a Flagship is getting Nougat while Oneplus 2 (2015) which is Flagship is not. what a joke from Oneplus.

enea 54 likes this.
  4. sunilhere

sunilhere , Jun 10, 2017 :
    All the folks who are planning to buy OnePlus 5 once it is released, think twice or may be more than that. OnePlus 5 customers will be treated the same way as OnePlus 2 customers once OnePlus 7 is released. The fact that no one is officially able to answer the simple straight forward question " Will OnePlus 2 get nougat update or not " surprises me.

I had plans to buy OnePlus 5 but I'm dropping it now. No offense.

ashokd173 and kaihp like this.
  5. the_reckoner

the_reckoner , Jun 10, 2017 :
    I am unable to fathom why OP simply don't "officially" communicate that the OP2 will not get Nougat

6. konnerdave

konnerdave , Jun 10, 2017 :
    After much speculation and wishful thinking from owners, OnePlus has officially confirmed to Android Authority that the Nougat update will not be delivered for the OnePlus 2. The refusal to update comes after promises of 24 months of update support in the past and an outright assertion from the company last year that the OnePlus 2 would get Android N.

Nevertheless, OnePlus told us that “customer service has been telling customers this for a little while” and that “we’re happy about what we’re doing with software. We already confirmed Android O will come for the OnePlus 3 and 3T. So [no Nougat for the OnePlus 2] isn’t new and we think people were aware of it.”

That said, a OnePlus moderator writing about the Nougat update in the forum as recently as the end of May seemed to think it was still being worked on, leaving the communication work up to another forum member.

While some folks may well have been informed of this in the past weeks, there’s clearly been a lack of communication here. Putting up an official statement in the OnePlus forum or getting Pete or Carl to tweet it out would have been a dead easy way to put this to bed. But knowing what we know about OnePlus’ communication skills and customer service, we can see how things might have ended up this way.

When we asked why the OnePlus 2 wouldn’t get the update, OnePlus told us it was because “when we built the OnePlus 2 we didn’t have the software infrastructure team in place we do now,” presumably blaming the convergence of the Hydrogen and Oxygen teams for the lack of the update.

Considering streamlining the software teams was originally designed to “speed up updates,” the resulting lack of a promised update for what the company is now calling a “dated device” will not sit well with many folks. We’ve been here before – and with plenty more companies than OnePlus – but I’ll direct your attention once again to a post we wrote earlier this year: OEMs need to stop promising updates they can’t deliver.

7. JasonMR
    Lollipop Jun 10, 2017

8. pablofg1978
    Head Moderator Head Moderator Jun 10, 2017

pablofg1978 , Jun 10, 2017 :
    thread merged

9. konnerdave

pablofg1978 likes this.
  10. Sharma_83
    Eclair Jun 10, 2017

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2017

Barrin Timo and jainish270582 like this.
  11. m1tch3m

m1tch3m , Jun 10, 2017 :
    So, here you have it...

Android Authority confirming OnePlus will NOT be bringing Nougat to the more than capable OP2, purely because they were slow at releasing updates and now class the device as dated.

The least you can do now is release the blobs for the camera etc so at least we can use a custom ROM and still have a half decent camera (it still wouldn't be perfect though).

In the kindest possible way, I hope you fail in all you do OnePlus! :)

Good Luck to the OP3/3T users with Android O!

http://www.androidauthority.com/oneplus-confirms-no-android-nougat-update-oneplus-2-779029/

Sharma_83 likes this.
  12. saucy_bubba
    Cupcake Jun 10, 2017

13. rahilmodi97

14. goldwingluc
    Eclair Jun 10, 2017

goldwingluc , Jun 10, 2017 :
    My first.. my last @Carl..you can put your firm and your new devices where the sun won't shine.. As a European customer my lack in trust with Oneplus is completely destroyed.. I take my lost.. And I hope to hear soon some good news of the bankruptcy of your presious firm.. Thanks we can laugh at you like you laugh and spit on us..
    My regards luc

15. JasonMR
    Lollipop Jun 10, 2017

Adityaf likes this.
  16. camohan
    Moderator Moderator Jun 10, 2017

camohan , Jun 10, 2017 :
    Who in OnePlus confirmed this to AA. Atleast question yourself before jumping the guns.. AA has not even mentioned any name.

17. JasonMR
    Lollipop Jun 10, 2017

JasonMR , Jun 10, 2017 :
    Surely you're not suggesting they posted more clickbait bollocks are you? :p

But in all seriousness, I completely agree, there still hasn't been any official word, although it probably is true.

18. Diogo Filipz
    Froyo Jun 10, 2017

Diogo Filipz , Jun 10, 2017 :
    I never buy oneplus device!! Kill oneplus 2 for make money on new devices!! Never buy Oneplus!! Safe your wallet!

Nishant.revur18 likes this.
  19. camohan
    Moderator Moderator Jun 10, 2017

camohan , Jun 10, 2017 :
    I don't kw if it's clickbait or real. But I will surely try to do a self investigation. We had similar situation about invite for op5, ppl tend to quickly draw conclusions instead of understanding.

ganeshknr, eye842 and asasione like this.
  20. cooldufff
    Eclair Jun 10, 2017