Confused About Software (Yes, you may flame me for this)

1. markeattnet
    Froyo Aug 10, 2015

markeattnet , Aug 10, 2015 :
    I know this is a noob question and I apologize to anyone who hates noob questions or anyone who has already answered my question somewhere else. Not gonna lie, I'm confused and I could really use some help.

I bought a basically unused OPO last week and when I started it, it took an OTA update. However, I have a feeling I'm still behind in the version of CM running on my phone and would like to at least get to 12.1, and then do nightly updates. But getting to 12.1 is the first goal. I've read a number of different threads about updating-wipe your phone, root your phone, just install over what you have, swing the phone around your head 10 times, and more. I don't want to brick my semi-new phone, so I'm coming to you, people smarter than me, for help.

This is what is running on my phone right now. How do I get it updated to something more current? Or am I really an idiot and already running the latest and greatest?
    Screenshot_2015-08-10-10-07-22.png

I'm sorry to have to ask, and yes, I know I'm bothering some of you. But I could use any information you can share as to the best (and hopefully easiest) way to update my phone without turning it into a doorstop of me into a bigger idiot than I feel like I am right about now.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me. As I get smarter, I promise to return the favor.

2. armmani2001
    KitKat Aug 10, 2015

armmani2001 , Aug 10, 2015 :
    This is the latest official version released.. If you want 12.1 you have to go on nightlies..

3. funmunke
    Marshmallow Aug 10, 2015

funmunke , Aug 10, 2015 :
    Check for updates, if nothing hits, you are using the most current software. When software rolls out, it rolls out in stages. Not everyone gets it at once. It can take up to two weeks for everyone to get it.

4. anhung2100
    Cupcake Aug 10, 2015

anhung2100 , Aug 10, 2015 :
    When people are talking about flashing a rom it is when it is not released for an ota update

5. DannyFox
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 10, 2015

6. scrivz69
    Jelly Bean Aug 10, 2015

scrivz69 , Aug 10, 2015 :
    Don't hold your breath for the next one, seems to be some delay on it but for a change no one tells the 600.000 people on the forum.

7. radeeven
    Froyo Aug 10, 2015

radeeven , Aug 10, 2015 :
    Check the official cyanogen website for downloads for your device. Also get Google apps. When it comes to installing I would just recommend backing up, going into recovery, wipe all data and install the zips from sdcard.

I'm just a doughnut, but I have ended up having to reset my phone a billion times due to bugs. Installing/flashing/whatever is not that scary and as long as you use the official cyanogenmod website for downloads you should be good to go

8. ParamK.
    Moderator Moderator Aug 10, 2015

ParamK. , Aug 10, 2015 :
    If you aren't comfortable in unlocking your phone bootloader etc then I would suggest just wait for COS 12.1, it will be out soon™.