Confused Author

1. MichaelJecks
    Froyo Apr 25, 2015

MichaelJecks , Apr 25, 2015 :
    Hi from a cold and (today) wet Dartmoor.

I'm a writer of crime novels, most of them set in the west country, and most of them medieval. Before that, in other words 20 years ago, I was a computer salesman. In those happy days I was working for the larger companies. I had 5 years with Wordplex (no, you won't have heard of them, but they were big at the time), then another 5 at Wang Labs (only the older will remember that firm). I worked with Xerox, IBM's biggest AS400 software house in the UK and a number of other firms. Which is why I took up writing. I had 13 jobs in 13 years, and basically got fed up with firms going bust and owing me money. So, unqualified and fed up with sales, I started writing books.

I've been using a Sony Xperia SP for the last two years, and the thing I've loved most of all about it is the fact that it's got less garbage on it than most phones. It's been fast for most of the time. But what I need is something that helps me work. That means a phone to allow me to tweet and respond to readers, but which has a good sized screen to allow me to mind-map, edit, email, and occasionally do some surfing. And for all I want, it looks like the OPO is going to be best. I hope so, anyway.

What else? I live on Dartmoor, usually have a Bernese Mountain Dog and Rhodesian Ridgeback, although our Berner died a while ago and we've adopted a Dalmatian. I walk a lot, try to cycle a fair bit, and as well as writing I am also a professional watercolour painter. If you want to find out more about me, you only have to ask!
    Screenshot 2015-04-22 19.39.34.png
    www.michaeljecks.co.uk
    @MichaelJecks

2. Reus
    Jelly Bean Apr 25, 2015

PR0X, MichaelJecks and Tobikage like this.
  3. Majamulli
    KitKat Apr 25, 2015

MichaelJecks and Tobikage like this.
  4. Tobikage
    Nougat Apr 25, 2015

Reus, MichaelJecks and Majamulli like this.
  5. MichaelJecks
    Froyo Apr 25, 2015

MichaelJecks , Apr 25, 2015 :
    Many thanks. Have to admit, this beats Facebook!

6. MichaelJecks
    Froyo Apr 25, 2015

Majamulli and Tobikage like this.
  7. Tobikage
    Nougat Apr 25, 2015

Tobikage , Apr 25, 2015 :
    Yes it does.. and no adverts too :p
    You too :)

BTW would love to see some pics of your dog's too..

8. MichaelJecks
    Froyo Apr 26, 2015

MichaelJecks , Apr 26, 2015 :
    Thanks, my friend. Pictures of dogs will follow, although my Ridgeback and Bernese (who sadly died couple of years ago) are up on that first post!

Tobikage and Linanc7 like this.
  9. Linanc7
    Lollipop Apr 26, 2015

Linanc7 , Apr 26, 2015 :
    Welcome!!! I love the medieval era so am definitely checking out your website :)

MichaelJecks and Tobikage like this.
  10. xoqes88
    Jelly Bean Apr 26, 2015

xoqes88 , Apr 26, 2015 :
    Welcome my friend.

Just checked your twitter: 34 books and 2M sold? Congratulations sir and keep up the good work!

MichaelJecks and Linanc7 like this.
  11. itechy21
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 26, 2015

MichaelJecks likes this.
  12. MichaelJecks
    Froyo Apr 27, 2015

MichaelJecks , Apr 27, 2015 :
    Many thanks! Hope you like the books!

13. MichaelJecks
    Froyo Apr 27, 2015

Cheers! Three books to write this year. It's very busy!

14. MichaelJecks
    Froyo Apr 27, 2015

It's not bad on EE. Nothing near 4G, but there's good coverage generally now that Orange and T-Mobile have shared their networks. For me, though, the main phone use is when I'm in the house with wifi, and when I travel to Bristol or London for meetings. While walking the dogs I like to update with pictures, but I tend to do that only once or twice a day, and even the network here can usually cope with that!

15. redleema
    KitKat Apr 27, 2015

redleema , Apr 27, 2015 :
    Forget the corporate life, sounds like you've got yourself well sorted. As far as mobiles go, I do recommend the OPO & its value proposition. A nice & highly tweakable phone at that. Don't think there's an AS/400 emulator for it though. :D

Welcome to the forums, dude.

MichaelJecks likes this.
  16. mmubashs
    Froyo Apr 27, 2015

MichaelJecks likes this.
  17. SoniaB
    Community Hero 2020 Apr 27, 2015

MichaelJecks likes this.
  18. MichaelJecks
    Froyo Apr 27, 2015

Cheers for that! After 20 years I don't think corporate life would want me back! And since I've discovered the delights of Apple software, there's no way I'd return to AS400 either. Thanks for the welcome!

redleema likes this.
  19. MichaelJecks
    Froyo Apr 27, 2015

I've been known to write the odd short story and article in magazines and papers, but I really try to stick to the novels. They pay my bills (mostly)

mmubashs likes this.
  20. theshinybeast
    Marshmallow Apr 27, 2015

theshinybeast , Apr 27, 2015 :
    Hello there .I hope you realise you're almost obliged to insert a cameo appearance of a Oneplus One in your next novel ,just saying like ;);)o_O

MichaelJecks likes this.